What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Rookie of the year?

Frank Facer

First Grade
From the batch of this year's rookies, I think the best are Victor Radley and Billy Kikau. I am unsure if Cameron Murray is eligible for rookie of the year honours, if so he would be in my top 3 that I can think of. I like the look of Brimson from the Gold Coast too.

I have to say that Radley looks like a really good young footballer. He is tough, his defence is excellent, he can hit a hole as a running forward and he can also offload too. Some think his future may lie at hooker for Easts. I think he looks too good a backrower to play hooker. I think he is the find of the year. I have just noticed that Radley actually played 15 games for Easts last year. I don't know if he started in any of those games. I believe that one still has to start games to lose their rookie status? Andrew Voss actually said in an article on Foxsports today, that you could throw Radley an origin jumper this week and he wouldn't let anyone down.

Other peoples thoughts on the best rookies of this year?

Last edited:

Drag Queen

Bench
I was under the impression that one had to start a game or even 3 games to lose their rookie status, but I am not 100% sure about it.
A rookie is a newbie Frank. Not sure you can put a number forward for it. People are still calling Anthony Siebold a rookie coach.. Neither here nor there tbh.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
A rookie is a newbie Frank. Not sure you can put a number forward for it. People are still calling Anthony Siebold a rookie coach.. Neither here or there tbh.
No, there is a criteria that makes a player eligible for rookie of the year. It used to be starting one game meant that a player lost their rookie status, but I think that they relaxed the rules to allow a player who has played 3 or less games to still be eligible for rookie of the year the next season.

I don't think that coming off the bench nullifies a players rookie status.

In my eyes, a player has to be starting games in his first season of first grade to be classified as a rookie.

Siebold is in his first season as a first grade coach, so therefore he is a rookie coach.

Drag Queen

Bench
No, there is a criteria that makes a player eligible for rookie of the year. It used to be starting one game meant that a player lost their rookie status, but I think that they relaxed the rules to allow a player who has played 3 or less games to still be eligible for rookie of the year the next season.

I don't think that coming off the bench nullifies a players rookie status.

In my eyes, a player has to be starting games in his first season of first grade to be classified as a rookie.

Siebold is in his first season as a first grade coach, so therefore he is a rookie coach.
Righto. Thanks for clarifying Frank.

From the batch of this year's rookies, I think the best are Victor Radley and Billy Kikau. I am unsure if Cameron Murray is eligible for rookie of the year honours, if so he would be in my top 3 that I can think of. I like the look of Brimson from the Gold Coast too.

I have to say that Radley looks like a really good young footballer. He is tough, his defence is excellent, he can hit a hole as a running forward and he can also offload too. Some think his future may lie at hooker for Easts. I think he looks too good a backrower to play hooker. I think he is the find of the year. I have just noticed that Radley actually played 15 games for Easts last year. I don't know if he started in any of those games. I believe that one still has to start games to lose their rookie status? Andrew Voss actually said in an article on Foxsports today, that you could throw Radley an origin jumper this week and he wouldn't let anyone down.
Other peoples thoughts on the best rookies of this year?
I really don't understand how any of our blokes will ever get this accolade if they do not get any game time.
When you take into account the table position of our ISP team, why is it that 19 and 20 year olds from other clubs get a chance to shine in FG and ours don't?
A token 7 mins at the end of the game just makes things worse.
I am a great believer in throwing some of the young guys in the deep end.
Very often they are more than capable of playing FG once they acclimatize to the pace and physicality.
While they continue to play ISP level, they will never improve.
Challenge them and put them in the firing line and they will respond and lift to that level.
Umpteen examples playing FG now at other clubs.

BennyV

Referee
I was under the impression that one had to start a game or even 3 games to lose their rookie status, but I am not 100% sure about it.
Nothing to do with starting games. If they've played in 3 or more first grade games, they no longer qualify as a rookie.

This year you'd be looking at Isaako, Ramien, Doueihi and so on. Isaako would be the pick of them.

Old Timer

Coach
Nothing to do with starting games. If they've played in 3 or more first grade games, they no longer qualify as a rookie.

This year you'd be looking at Isaako, Ramien, Doueihi and so on. Isaako would be the pick of them.
The only guarantee is that 2018 Rookie of the year won't come from the Dragons.

Come on Benny V & Coffs dragon the performances by Lomax & Robson were mind blowing and surely that must have them in contention?
Our pathways system is second to none just ask Nighty & Lats as they are still in it.

Last edited:

Johnny King

Juniors
How exciting would it be if the Dragons had an exciting rookie in the top grade. This hasn't happened for so long that I'd be flat out naming any stand-out Dragon's rookies in the last decade. You could go back to the "Bath's Babes" days and you'd come up with a few. I remember Robert Stone and Bruce Starkey ripping in as young props. Would love to have a couple of props like them coming through the ranks now. Sadly from what I've seen of Kerr and Lawrie they've got a fair way to go although I assume we may see them in the top grade during the SOO series.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
The only guarantee is that 2018 Rookie of the year won't come from the Dragons.

Ahhhhh but it may!

We have a rookie coach!
Nobody is a bigger chump the Mary ...................….............but l didn’t say this, ok?

I’m not here to bag Mary Loo Joe Bob, The Smooth One, He Who Has Space Between His Ears, Mudguard, The Elevator Farter, Mr Braindead, McCrone Parent, The Bench Rejector, One Plan Man

hazzbeen

Bench
Ahhhhh but it may!

We have a rookie coach!
Nobody is a bigger chump the Mary ...................….............but l didn’t say this, ok?

I’m not here to bag Mary Loo Joe Bob, The Smooth One, He Who Has Space Between His Ears, Mudguard, The Elevator Farter, Mr Braindead, McCrone Parent, The Bench Rejector, One Plan Man
Old mate stop while your ahead , you missed big head give head etc .....

Old Timer

Coach
How exciting would it be if the Dragons had an exciting rookie in the top grade. This hasn't happened for so long that I'd be flat out naming any stand-out Dragon's rookies in the last decade. You could go back to the "Bath's Babes" days and you'd come up with a few. I remember Robert Stone and Bruce Starkey ripping in as young props. Would love to have a couple of props like them coming through the ranks now. Sadly from what I've seen of Kerr and Lawrie they've got a fair way to go although I assume we may see them in the top grade during the SOO series.
Gasnier I think
Reg that is he went from 3rd to 1sts at 18 and then made the state team.