What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Rookie of the year?

hazzbeen

Bench
Gasnier I think
Reg that is he went from 3rd to 1sts at 18 and then made the state team.
Old Timer just off Gaz for a sec didn't a young bloke from tigers play for Australia Sterling or Starling something like that . A center played at a very young age ?????

Old Timer

Coach
Old Timer just off Gaz for a sec didn't a young bloke from tigers play for Australia Sterling or Starling something like that . A center played at a very young age ?????
Geoff Starling from the Tigers who debuted for Australia at 18 + a bit years of age and at that time was the youngest debutant for the Kangaroos.
Played against him once in an inter school comp and he was huge and very quick.
Unfortunately contracted a very debilitating disease that cut his career short after 3 or so years.

hazzbeen

Bench
Geoff Starling from the Tigers who debuted for Australia at 18 + a bit years of age and at that time was the youngest debutant for the Kangaroos.
Unfortunately contracted a very debilitating disease that cut his career short after 3 or so years.
Thanks mate for the info .....

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

I remember the name, Geoff Starling ......... a very fine footballer.
I wasn't aware of his illness, thanks.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Siliva Havilli..

Thought this guy was too good to be a rookie, but I checked last years stats and he definitely didn’t play a game of NRL..

Frank Facer

First Grade
Victor Radely is eligible for rookie of the year. I think he is a standout. I would even have him penciled in for NSW bench next year. He has obviously been the rookie who has impressed me the most this year. Easts have moved fast to sign him up until the end of 2023. He will probably be a regular at Padstow McDonalds, collecting his brown paper bags.

Easts will also have Crichton, Morris and the Pommy winger there next year. I will be backing them to win next year's comp again.

watatank

Coach
Radley is one of those players that people will mention because of what we think he might be but I don't think he's a standout choice. Isaako is probably going to get it, with Ramien main challenger. If Brimson debuted earlier he probably would have got a mention.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Radley is one of those players that people will mention because of what we think he might be but I don't think he's a standout choice. Isaako is probably going to get it, with Ramien main challenger. If Brimson debuted earlier he probably would have got a mention.
The other players you mentioned are all good rookies, but I don't see any of them in the running for an origin jersey next year.

It isn't about what Radley might be. He already is a standout player. His defence is awesome. He runs the ball hard and has the ability to ball play too. He started the year off competing with Friend for the hooking role and is now one of the best backrowers in the comp. Personally I already rate him better than Cordner.

aquiin

Juniors
Isaako played for NZ. Likely winner.

Ramien could well be a NSW contender depending on whether he starts on the right next year.

Radley is not eligible.

watatank

Coach
The thing is Radley has taken a while to establish himself. He played off the bench 12 times and has only averaged 43 minutes per game. Isaako and Ramien have been established starters since the start of the season and Isaako has debuted for NZ already.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Isaako played for NZ. Likely winner.

Ramien could well be a NSW contender depending on whether he starts on the right next year.

Radley is not eligible.
Radely is eligible. I heard that he was eligible during Easts game against Manly last round.

We are much better stocked for backrowers than outside backs, but I would take Radley over Isaako or Ramien for us any day of the week.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Oh good a rare Franky thread!
Maybe I should start a thread asking Will Aitken ever play origin? Or maybe you should start it Gitano, since you are the one who thinks he will. lol

Time will tell who was right and who was wrong. Well Aitken didn't play origin this year, did he? lol

Frank Facer

First Grade
I just got thinking how NSW have Radley, Pangai Junior and Haas who all should be playing origin in the near future. I rate those 3 to be 3 of the best prospects in the game. I would have picked Pangai Junior for NSW this year.

We already have

Locks DeBelin and Jake Turbo

Secondrowers Cordner, Sims, Frizell, Crichton

Props Klemmer, RCG, Vaughan and Paulo

Matt Lodge is another who could push for origin selection over the next few years.

I can see us dominating State Of Origin over the next 10 years or so, with these exceptional young forwards that we currently have. Cleary should be out halfback for the next 10 years or so. Tom Turbo and Latrell Mitchell will be a mainstays over the next 10 years.

BennyV

Referee
The other players you mentioned are all good rookies, but I don't see any of them in the running for an origin jersey next year.

It isn't about what Radley might be. He already is a standout player. His defence is awesome. He runs the ball hard and has the ability to ball play too. He started the year off competing with Friend for the hooking role and is now one of the best backrowers in the comp. Personally I already rate him better than Cordner.
Just because you'd have Radley on the bench in origin doesn't mean he's in the running. I'm pretty sure the backrower rotation involving JDB, Turbo, Sims, Friz, Cordner and Crichton isn't going anywhere and that's already 1 too many back rowers for one team.

The Damo

Juniors
Isaako easily I think. Debuts on wing, plays all 19 games so far, scores 8 tries, kicks goals at 84%, impresses Bennet enough to displace Boyd at full back.
Ramien next out of those eligible.
But if Kikau was eligible he’d be my choice, absolute monster, could be the games best second rower in a few years if he keeps developing.

Life's Good

Coach
@Frank Facer

I couldn't be bothered trying to find it (sorry) but I'm pretty sure Radley is ruled out due to suspension.
Like you, I can’t be bothered looking but I think it’s like the Dally M voting. Get suspended & you’re ineligible for points/or they are stripped. )hopefully one of the gurus here can clear that up)

Anyway, for me, it has to be Isaako.

Dragonslayer

First Grade