What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 salary cap

Spot On

Coach
If these clubs want to spend $400k over the cap let them, provided they start on minus 20 points next year.

This - at the very least should the NRL cave in.

Clubs who are over the amount they were told to stay under should be punished - severely. Start the season with minus points.

Reactions: siv

Lambretta

First Grade
If this cap gets increased to appease the Dogs, Roosters, Canberra etc then Greenberg should hand in his resignation..

I hadn't read anywhere that the Roosters are over the cap?
Nick would always welcome an upswing in the cap, so he would be in favour, but I doubt it is because we have ignored the directive from the NRL

Does anyone have any information on the Roosters in regards to this issue?

Last edited:

AJB1102

First Grade
Does anyone have any information on the Roosters?

The Sydney Roosters are an Australian professional rugby league football club based in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney. The club competes in the National Rugby League (NRL) competition and is one of the oldest clubs in Australian rugby league history, having won thirteen New South Wales Rugby League (NSWRL) and National Rugby League titles, and several other competitions. Only the South Sydney Rabbitohs and the St. George Dragons have won more premierships. The club holds the record for having the most wins and the second greatest margin of victory in a match in Australian rugby league history. The Eastern Suburbs DRLFC is the only club to have played in each and every season at the elite level, and since the 1970s has often been dubbed the "glamour club" of the league.[2] Coached by Trent Robinson along with captains Boyd Cordner and Jake Friend, the Roosters play their home games at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Plenty more info here mate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Roosters

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I hadn't read anywhere that the Roosters are over the cap?
Nick would always welcome an upswing in the cap, so he would be in favour, but I doubt it is because we have ignored the directive from the NRL

Does anyone have any information on the Roosters?

Mate, not sure of specific numbers, just that they were one of the clubs looking to get the increase.

Any club looking to have the cap increased above what was given as the directive looks suss to me.

Lambretta

First Grade
Mate, not sure of specific numbers, just that they were one of the clubs looking to get the increase.

Any club looking to have the cap increased above what was given as the directive looks suss to me.

Hardly surprising knowing our love of spending
I would be surprised if we are in breach though as Nick doesn't let shit like that happen normally

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I think it's great people are having their say here. My intention of starting this forum was to hopefully let the NRL know where the fans are on this issue. I'm wondering if more can be done.

I'm too old to be up on how social media works but I would be very happy if any one has some ideas on how to grab the NRL's attention and give them an idea of the numbers against increasing the salary cap next year.

Many thanks to all contributers.

Delboy

First Grade
If Greenberg allows the increase to suit his old club, then that would show his true colours and intentions since wheedling his way into the CEO job

If anyone believes that the NRL under Greenberg and the useless chairman doesn't favour the usual few, then you are kidding

Some clubs deliberately left some cap space to take advantage of any player cuts, and will get penalised so someone's ex employer can be satisfied, then the NRL seriously underestimate the disgust that will cause to fans of the game

Delboy

First Grade
I think it's great people are having their say here. My intention of starting this forum was to hopefully let the NRL know where the fans are on this issue. I'm wondering if more can be done.

I'm too old to be up on how social media works but I would be very happy if any one has some ideas on how to grab the NRL's attention and give them an idea of the numbers against increasing the salary cap next year.

Many thanks to all contributers.

I sent an email to,the NRL asking why they haven't taken the opportunity to show games on the Canadian sports channel, which was showing AFL games weekly which no one there understood ( there are rugby posts all over Canada)

I got a typical relply about the platforms that can be used overseas to see the game, not a real answer to my question, I went back and asked if they had a real intention to forensically audit teams expenditure, and mentioned the Broncos ex footy manager refusing to be interviewed . As expected, no response after 3 weeks, they don't engage any serious questions.

AJB1102

First Grade
I sent an email to,the NRL asking why they haven't taken the opportunity to show games on the Canadian sports channel, which was showing AFL games weekly which no one there understood ( there are rugby posts all over Canada)

I got a typical relply about the platforms that can be used overseas to see the game, not a real answer to my question, I went back and asked if they had a real intention to forensically audit teams expenditure, and mentioned the Broncos ex footy manager refusing to be interviewed . As expected, no response after 3 weeks, they don't engage any serious questions.

NRL HQ seem to piss enough money up the wall already without dedicating a team to answer in-depth every crackpot who hits the cans and spits out an email/facebook/twitter.

Did you really think someone was gonna fill you in on whether or not a forensic audit of a particular club was on the cards and the reasons for/against doing such a thing?

Ned Kelly

Juniors
NRL HQ seem to piss enough money up the wall already without dedicating a team to answer in-depth every crackpot who hits the cans and spits out an email/facebook/twitter.

Did you really think someone was gonna fill you in on whether or not a forensic audit of a particular club was on the cards and the reasons for/against doing such a thing?

It would be great if fans had a way of getting questions answered. Without us they don't have a product.

AJB1102

First Grade
It would be great if fans had a way of getting questions answered. Without us they don't have a product.

We'll take what we're given and bloody well like it.

Sorry mate as long as enough are watching on the box the NRL don't give a flying f**k about fans. Their TV billions are wrapped up for the next few years so its time to coast until that has to be dealt with again.

There are plenty of fan engagement things I'd rate higher though than question time with every rabid, one-eyed illogical supporter. Take 1 look at ANY Facebook fan page and look at the levels of f**kwit they'd be dealing with - they'd need a team dedicated to just deciphering the illiterate shit.

Regardless of who the parties are in determining the final outcome, all clubs were told what figure to work with.

Most have. A few have given a big "f*ck you" and ignored the directive.

I could care less who the parties are that determine the end figure.

Fact is a few clubs have done as they please and now want the goalposts moved soley for their own interests.

F*ck them.

Talk about missing the point. My point was that regardless whether one group of clubs want it higher, and another group wants it lower, the NRL are in no position to set any salary cap level as it is part of the collective bargaining agreement (CBA). As the CBA is not finalised, the NRL are in no position to be able to say what it will be as they are only one party to the negotiations, the other being the Rugby League Players Association (RLPA). It won't matter diddly what the clubs and the NRL want if the RLPA do not agree.

nick87

Coach
This - at the very least should the NRL cave in.

Clubs who are over the amount they were told to stay under should be punished - severely. Start the season with minus points.

When the cap is set, teams will be required to get under it
If they can, there is nothing to punish
If they cant, by all means throw the book at them according to the severity of their indiscretion.

That's it. You can't punish a club until they've breached the salary cap, and until the cap is set, it's unable to be breached.
Until the RLPA and NRL finalise the CBA and set the cap, then there is nothing to investigate and no rules broken.

Last edited:

simmo05

Bench

I am shareholder in a few different companies and have called and emailed some senior people within these companies. Bigger companies than the NRL.
The NRL does not give a flying f**k about what the consumer thinks. Only that you keep tuning in or going to games, buying all their merchandise.

Thanks Captain. I guess I can lodge my protest there and if enough others urge the NRL to do what they can to keep the salary cap to the one stated in their emails over the months they may pay attention.

No problem. I agree that it is a schemozzle that we are in August 2017 and no salary cap figure has been finalised for season 2018 and beyond.

Latest posts