What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 salary cap

Vee

First Grade
For those criticising the players, tell me, do you have to hand over all your personal bank, telephone and computer records to your employer whenever your employer requests? No?.
I'm not much chance of copping extra quids on the side or fixing my job to the detriment of my employer for sly money either. They've already had this argument in the US.

insert.pause

First Grade
For those criticising the players, tell me, do you have to hand over all your personal bank, telephone and computer records to your employer whenever your employer requests? No? Well this is what the NRL want and is one of the issues that is causing the negotiations to drag on.

The only issue with the financials regards the definitions of revenue, the NRL only want to use "forecast" revenue for what they pay out whereas the RLPA are saying it should be actual revenue - they've apparently agreed to the revenue streams as to what is and isn't included, but that is about the only financial sticking point.
Do you have the potential to earn over a million dollars a year?

Do you work in an industry that has billions bet on it each year?

Do you work in an industry that is scrutinised live by the minute through dedicated media channels?

Do you have a manager that wipes your bum for you?

Do you expect to be paid based on the companies annual turnover?

Let's stop pretending that professional sport is just another job and the current NRL CBA is just another industrial agreement.

Do you have the potential to earn over a million dollars a year?

Do you work in an industry that has billions bet on it each year?

Do you work in an industry that is scrutinised live by the minute through dedicated media channels?

Do you have a manager that wipes your bum for you?

Do you expect to be paid based on the companies annual turnover?

Let's stop pretending that professional sport is just another job and the current NRL CBA is just another industrial agreement.

In relation to your questions:

(1) No, because not even the person at the top of my organisation earns that much. In the NERL you'd be lucky if 10% of players earn that per year.

(2) No, but I have a fairly stringent code of conduct underpinned by legislation which is fairly extensive on dos and don'ts.

(3) Yes I do in fact.

(4) No, I don't employ a manager.

(5) No one in my industry is paid that way.

Any other inane questions you'd care to ask? :)

I agree the RL CBA is an industrial agreement. I never said it wasn't. However just because it is the NRL does not mean that it gives the employer the right to trample on their employees rights.

insert.pause

First Grade
In relation to your questions:

(1) No, because not even the person at the top of my organisation earns that much. In the NERL you'd be lucky if 10% of players earn that per year.

(2) No, but I have a fairly stringent code of conduct underpinned by legislation which is fairly extensive on dos and don'ts.

(3) Yes I do in fact.

(4) No, I don't employ a manager.

(5) No one in my industry is paid that way.

Any other inane questions you'd care to ask? :)

I agree the RL CBA is an industrial agreement. I never said it wasn't. However just because it is the NRL does not mean that it gives the employer the right to trample on their employees rights.
the point is the NRL is unique, it can't be compared to the majority of workplaces, nor the conditions. Most industries don't have a need for employees bank records, just like most industries don't have a tolerance for employees inappropriate behaviour. The players have to accept the good with the bad.

the point is the NRL is unique, it can't be compared to the majority of workplaces, nor the conditions. Most industries don't have a need for employees bank records, just like most industries don't have a tolerance for employees inappropriate behaviour. The players have to accept the good with the bad.

Fair point. Now I see where you are coming from :)

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Ban RLPA members from playing in the NRL finals

If they want to strike

I doubt even the RLPA are stupid enough to follow through on any threats of strike.

They would alienate themselves completely if they took that path.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
What's so unique about them? They are subject to the same civil and criminal laws as the rest of us, including industrial relations laws. Slippery slope when you start treating certain non-essential roles and industries as special...

I doubt even the RLPA are stupid enough to follow through on any threats of strike.

They would alienate themselves completely if they took that path.

Personally I think it is just public posturing similar to the NRL's "best final offer, take it or leave it" comments regarding the salary cap and the CBA. Both sides are just chest beating to show that neither of them should regarded as "push overs" in the negotiations.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What's so unique about them? They are subject to the same civil and criminal laws as the rest of us, including industrial relations laws. Slippery slope when you start treating certain non-essential roles and industries as special...

Plenty, there are a number of professions that have out of the norm requirements or consequences of the job. For example alcohol and drug testing on mine sites. You wouldn't get that working on a building site in the city. Or police having a higher level of moral scrutiny, or pollies having to share financial info.

If players want to blame someone for invasion of privacy, blame the clubs who can t be trusted and their fellow players who signed two contracts or got brown paper bags.

typicalfan

Coach
Personally I think it is just public posturing similar to the NRL's "best final offer, take it or leave it" comments regarding the salary cap and the CBA. Both sides are just chest beating to show that neither of them should regarded as "push overs" in the negotiations.
I think there is more to it than that. RLPA appear worried about the current financial situation of the NRL and the NRL go and recommend a salary cap figure that seems a little overs. Why would they do that? To appease clubs and players? Is it designed to have the players sign and forget their fears? The players want to know that their future is secure no point in getting a 9.4m salary cap if NRL goes broke in 3 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think there is more to it than that. RLPA appear worried about the current financial situation of the NRL and the NRL go and recommend a salary cap figure that seems a little overs. Why would they do that? To appease clubs and players? Is it designed to have the players sign and forget their fears? The players want to know that their future is secure no point in getting a 9.4m salary cap if NRL goes broke in 3 years.

yes I can see the players rejecting the money and asking for less to ensure the future prosperity of the NRL lol.