What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 spine

mighty v

Juniors
Im not a coach,or a expert but i think the following should be our spine for 2018

Fullback : widdop

Hooker : mciness

Halfback: hunt

Five eighth : jai field

I reckon widdop plays his natural game at fullback without needing to run around in circles and make hard decisions and screw up our attack...hunt can organise and direct ,which he has no problems with,and jai field is a natural footballer..he just needs to run thru holes and hes away ...

With that spine you also have the luxury to shift them around and throw off opposition..hunt hooker,field fullback,widdop five eighth...

Our attack would be electrifying

Anyway ,wont happen but should

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Im not a coach,or a expert but i think the following should be our spine for 2018

I reckon widdop plays his natural game at fullback without needing to run around in circles and make hard decisions and screw up our attack...hunt can organise and direct ,which he has no problems with,and jai field is a natural footballer..he just needs to run thru holes and hes away ...

With that spine you also have the luxury to shift them around and throw off opposition..hunt hooker,field fullback,widdop five eighth...

Completely understand where you're coming from, but I just feel like Dufty deserves that first shot at fullback. To counter what you're saying about Widdop playing his natural game at fullback... With the arrival of Hunt at 7, I feel like that will allow Widdop to play that roaming role and chiming in when he needs to rather than trying to organise everything which is just not his game at all.

Dufty proved to be an X factor at fullback towards the back end of the year, unless Jai has a massive pre-season or Widdop wants the number 1, I just don't see how you can move Duff.

possm

Coach

I'd love to see this spine tested in the Charity Shield. It would create a lot of interest for fans and give us all some hope for 2018. With Lafai and Mann as our centres, we would have the opportunity to bring rookies Dufty and Lomax through on the wing.

Nightingale and Aitken to me do not represent our best possible selection on the right. The fact that Mary never even considered using Dugan as a left centre leads me to believe that there may still be some untested options available.

What about:
1. Widdop - fullback
2. Dufty - left wing
3. Lafai - right centre
4. Mann - left centre
5. Lomax - right wing
6. Field - five-eighth
7. Hunt - halfback

In this way the backline is balanced better experience wise. Dufty and Field have bulked up and Mann is more than capable of playing left centre. Lomax has the size, strength and speed to make a good fist of the right wing position. I note that both wingers are aspiring fullbacks so their ability to be in position to take the ball and make good ground on kick returns should not be a concern for them. Of course they both bring improvement speed wise to the wing positions.

As far as Field at 6 is concerned, if things don't go well the switch between Widdop and Field or Widdop and Dufty is always an option.

Last edited:

kyussiscoming73

Juniors
You'd have to start with
Dufty, Widdop, Hunt, McInnes.
But don't forget Nicholls....this guy has led his team quite well over the past couple of seasons.
I'd play him in the halves in front of both Mann and Field.....only just at this stage.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I would be surprised if widdop dose not have a big year because it want be just him with hunt there they can share the load.
Last year he was one of our best and he didn't have a half back like hunt.
I think hunt will improve our back line.
It may take a few weeks but it will happen.
I mean widdop and hunt want train together untill January.
I think that grahams competitive attitude will help as well.
I just hope and I know its a big hope rhat mary Will be able to be a coach not just what ever he is now

Bench
Widdop is 5/8 and Hunt half back. End of story. Widdop was our best player before his injury. He has played most of last season with inexperienced halves. I bet that with Hunt as his halves partner can take his game to a new level,
Dufty needs to be our starting fullback. It will depend on how he performs as to whether he retains the fullback position.
Our wingers and centers need to perform and if not some of our young guns should be given a chance.
McIdiot needs to let Dufty play his natural game. Last year he never ran the ball following a kick. I believe he was under instructions to pass the ball to his winger.
I firmly believe that with the experienced players and our Juniors we can be a force next season,

I'd prefer Dufty at fullback. I think he has theb potential to be more damaging than Widdop at fullback. And Widdop at five eighth is much stronger than Jai Field. I actually think Widdop will excel at 6 with Hunt at 7.
We have had Widdop at 5/8 for 3 years now. He ain't going to suddenly become a much better player in that position just because Hunt arrives.
Maybe Widdop at FB is a better fit for the team but let's see how he goes against some real opposition in the WC final.
Field should not be discounted - his speed is something else and if anyone will benefit from Hunt's arrival it would be Field.
It's time to think outside the square but I fear we just don't have the footy IQ in the coach's box to make it happen.

How much better does the guy need to be? 5/8 of the year says to me he is doing a tad better than ok. Besides....watch the last 10 minutes of his game against Tonga.....Gaz made quite a few vital misses in defence when Tonga were rampaging.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The team just needs to be picked on form. Dufty is a positive game changer
with wonderful
skills. I look at Whare and regret that we let him go. At least Millward is looking ahead with the
retention of exciting local talent.

JDHD

Juniors
Worst case scenario, we have options in all the key positions which is something we haven't had for a very long time.

I wouldn't be moving Widdop to fb but if it gets to round 7 or 8 and Dufty's not working out...actually I'd still probably look at Field at fb before Widdop.

giboz71

First Grade
Dufty, Widdop, Hunt and McInnes should be our spine Round 1 and at least for the first month or 2 of the season. Give them time to form combinations.

I think our ladder position after 7-8 weeks should determine if we need to change the spine or not.

Widdop and Hunt give us versatility that Wayne Bennett has used to his advantage. Field and Nichols are a couple of handy back ups as well who can slot in if the need arises.

I don’t think we have the luxury to completely discount any spine combination that may present itself.

Drag Queen

Bench
I would be surprised if widdop dose not have a big year because it want be just him with hunt there they can share the load.
Last year he was one of our best and he didn't have a half back like hunt.
I think hunt will improve our back line.
It may take a few weeks but it will happen.
I mean widdop and hunt want train together untill January.
I think that grahams competitive attitude will help as well.
I just hope and I know its a big hope rhat mary Will be able to be a coach not just what ever he is now
I think Graham and Hunt will be the key to some drastic changes. I'd go as far to say that both players won't be backwards in coming forward as far as organising playing sets. Mary will take the credit of course.....

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Widdop is 5/8 and Hunt half back. End of story. Widdop was our best player before his injury. He has played most of last season with inexperienced halves. I bet that with Hunt as his halves partner can take his game to a new level,
Dufty needs to be our starting fullback. It will depend on how he performs as to whether he retains the fullback position.
Our wingers and centers need to perform and if not some of our young guns should be given a chance.
McIdiot needs to let Dufty play his natural game. Last year he never ran the ball following a kick. I believe he was under instructions to pass the ball to his winger.
I firmly believe that with the experienced players and our Juniors we can be a force next season,

I believe Quinlan was under the same instruction from 'the coach'.

Incidentally, why do some people advocate Dufty for a wing position....he is far too small!

Life's Good

Coach
We have a thread that is crying out for speed. We have Dufty who has genuine speed that some want replaced by Widdop, who, whilst not slow, is hardly what you would call express.

Until such time as Dufty loses form or is generally sh*t then he needs to stay at FB. Again, we are screaming to have juniors given a go yet some want one of our most promising shuffled out the door(and no, Dufty isn't a winger).

Widdop, along with many others, will thrive having Hunt taking greater control.

Life's Good

Coach
IMO the spine should be either:
Dufty
Widdop
Hunt
Mcinnes

or
Widdop
Mann
Hunt
Mcinness

Field has shown nothing to demonstrate he is a first grade 5/8. Contrastingly Mann actually did well in that position when he was able to play.

I agree with your comment regarding Field. He has only just bulked up in preparation for the season ahead. He will have to show he can cope with the rigours of FG. I hope he gets a chance but as I have mentioned elsewhere his chances in the halves will be slim given Widdop & Hunt are on long term deals. If Dufty falters that may open up the opportunity (Millward has stated he is a fullback in waiting).