2018 Squad - Top 4?

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by AzzaRedV, Sep 8, 2017.

1. giboz71

giboz71 Bench

Sums it up perfectly really.

And your last 3 points is what's really holding us back. Fix those 3 areas and we're premiership contenders.

j0nesy likes this.
  2. ALSGI

ALSGI Juniors

If Nighty's in the team we're not serious.
    I'm over the love comments for him on here, he's 12m past retirement in any grade. The games changed it's not 2010.

If McDonald's in 2017 form and not dropped early we're not serious. Hunt and Widdop need to give him some decent kicks and if he can't produce, and toughen the f**k up he should be gone.

Luciano needs to be given a run early becuase he will never improve with more time in Reggies - it's not in his D&A. Use him or loose him.

Our long kicking game has to be seriously addressed, it's crap and remains the same predictable shit (straight to the back 3) regardless of which team we're playing.

McInnes needs to take his game to the next level and start running and kicking.

Mary, Young and Hornby should be ashamed of themselves for 2017 and all three have f**ked any legacy they had as players in my view.

3. Crush

Crush Juniors

2018 Dragons will start strong given their low risk style of football where other teams take time to click.
    Then the other teams will click and start to make it work.
    The dragons will continue to play the low risk style of football and finish 7-9th where they belong with their 5 hit ups give it to Widdop kick down the throat if the fullback style of footy.
    HONESTLY, I watched broncs vs roosters last night and we are nowhere near them. They are top 4 teams.

dragonreddy, ALSGI, getsmarty and 5 others like this.
  4. Pro Dragons

Pro Dragons Juniors

Hunt and Graham will give the team what they lack, being self belief. They may even be able to teach McGregor how to coach.

If Field bulked upped and maintained his speed could he turn into one of the wingers we desperately need?

ALSGI likes this.
  5. Drag Queen

Drag Queen Juniors

Total agreement from me. Great footy last night.

6. TRANSLATION

TRANSLATION Juniors

7. TRANSLATION

TRANSLATION Juniors

Jai Field
    Nene
    Mann
    Lafai
    Florence

Widdop
    Hunt

Vaughan
    Mcguiness
    Graham
    Leilua
    Frizell
    JDB
    ---------
    Thomo
    SIMS
    Ah Mau
    Host / Sele/ ETC

8. Dragsters

Dragsters Juniors

Its gonna hurt even more at kick off tonight...

blacksafake likes this.
  9. Blood Shot Eyes

Blood Shot Eyes Bench

Coach and Outside backs needs attention before I start to get excited

10. j0nesy

j0nesy Bench

We need to drop both wingers, I love Nighty but he's just too slow now and Nene is not a first grader. I'd give the wing positions to the fastest two out of Garrick, Johns, Herbert, Lomax, Thompson and Marsters. Ideally we'd recruit one gun winger and leave the others to fight over the remaining spot.

I prefer a fit Aitken over Mann at centre. In fact I don't like Mann at centre at all and would prefer one of the young guys from above to cover for injuries. I prefer Mann as a bench utility but he has a battle on his hand to keep out Robson, Field and Leilua. In fact I'd probably rotate a bench spot between those 3.

When it comes to Host, Sele and Lawrie, I think Host is the best and should be permanently selected. The other two to provide coverage for injuries.

I'd stick with Dufty at fullback for at least 6 games. I think he has done enough to earn it, and shown enough potential to demonstrate he might be something special. Mann and Field are breathing down his neck though. Both could do well there.

Frank Facer, Crush and ALSGI like this.
  11. coast_dragons

coast_dragons Coach

You maybe a little disappointed in terms of the young guys you mentioned having any speed.

Garrick and Lomax possess some speed but not that super quick.

Johns, Herbert and Marsters are nearly all brute strength.

Thompson I will be surprised if he is at the club next year he may stay and sign with Illawarra but i have my doubts.

ALSGI likes this.
  12. giboz71

giboz71 Bench

I hope the Dragons were watching Mitchell's last try. That's the calibre of opposition we are up against if we want to win a comp. Having outside backs like Nighty, Lafai and Nene just won't cut it any more.

It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight week after week.

13. Belta

Belta Juniors

I think the Dragons can have a balance of speed and size/strength, eg Brisbane do well with some quick little guys, a strong powerful winger and centre and a speedy centre, it's seems a balancing act for most teams, For the dragons if they had Dufty, Field and Mann in and Johns, Herbert and Marsters were brute strength than that could be a good thing...although that scenario would not happen I know, but it still means there is a niche for those kind of players

14. getsmarty

getsmarty First Grade

I Reckon 7 - 12 with our coach...he will figure a way to stuff it up...You could give him the Qld origin team and he would probably leave Smith on the bench LOL.

Life's Good likes this.
  15. Dragon Revival

Dragon Revival Juniors

I have little confidence in the NRL side
    making the Final Eight next year. This year was a chance to front up but pathetic wing defence, sloppy attack and poor application was tolerated by the coaches and the players leadership
    group. Sele amd Lawrie are not the answer in the forwards and Host was
    stuffed around. The three quarter line was atrocious and we need the speed and incisive running of Aitken, Dufty, Field and similar gamebreakers not hasbeens like Lafai, Mac Donald and Nightingale. When we made Grand finals we had the best of representative centres and wingers. The powers that be refuse to develop and recruit such quality players so we currently have no matchwinners. We judge wingers by metres gained not tries scored. We must recruit now a class centre and a competent winger as the cupboard is bare plus another class prop as our popgun attack needs an infusion of top class talent. Oh for a three quarter who can score a length of the field try!

Crush likes this.
  16. getsmarty

getsmarty First Grade

Nearly fell off my chair laughing... "They may even be able to teach McGregor how to coach".

dragonreddy likes this.
  17. giboz71

giboz71 Bench

It's just too difficult over the course of a season when every week we have no speed advantage over an opposition. Puts too much pressure on our forwards to win it through the middle week after week.

It's why our forwards were ineffective at the end of the year. They were too gassed from having to win games for the team every week.

18. FlameThrower

FlameThrower Juniors

I agree and this obsession with the thinking that an ex Clubman and great player will make it in coaching is just crazy. Nighty is one of our weak links and our Centres and Wingers let us down this year.

ALSGI likes this.
  19. j0nesy

j0nesy Bench

Then I'd go with Garrick or Lomax on one wing and one of the oher boys on the other to help out with kick returns. Strength is ok as long as they're not as slow as Nightingale

20. coast_dragons

coast_dragons Coach

Garrick would be next in line then say Johns as both have played games in the ISP this year.

Pereira is quite strong deceptively strong and runs the ball well from dummy half.

Pace wise I am unsure but have heard he isn't a slouch so he may also come into calculations or is he just another one of those signings like Dodd.

j0nesy likes this.