What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Trials

GongPanther

Referee
Gov rigged issue? Not sure what you mean by that.

Doesn't Penrith come under local government not state?
The selection for the grounds to get funded by the NSW gov for either a new stadium or improvements.

The Panthers (Panthers revealed an interim plan for Penrith Stadium) were in the bidding for a slice of the pie. But as usual,the bigger end of town always gets the nod in these issues.

IMO,they could have built a 40,000 seat stadium at St Marys along Forrester Road near the railway station,which is to be part of the new rail link from the new airport,as it would have been more central and a more travel easy option for far more Panther fans.

But unfortunately,even when the Panthers are going great, they don't consistently pull big crowds at home.This I assume was the glaring reason why Penrith weren't considered.

Maybe sometime down the road something drastic will happen.

OldPanther

Coach
The selection for the grounds to get funded by the NSW gov for either a new stadium or improvements.

The Panthers (Panthers revealed an interim plan for Penrith Stadium) were in the bidding for a slice of the pie. But as usual,the bigger end of town always gets the nod in these issues.

IMO,they could have built a 40,000 seat stadium at St Marys along Forrester Road near the railway station,which is to be part of the new rail link from the new airport,as it would have been more central and a more travel easy option for far more Panther fans.

But unfortunately,even when the Panthers are going great, they don't consistently pull big crowds at home.This I assume was the glaring reason why Penrith weren't considered.

Maybe sometime down the road something drastic will happen.

That sucks. Hopefully we keep making finals, get consistent crowds and force some attention our way.

GongPanther

Referee
That sucks. Hopefully we keep making finals, get consistent crowds and force some attention our way.

American baseball and NFL stadiums only last for 25-30 years before they are completely demolished. They can do this because of 10-20 years of stadiums being sold out.

So on the premise of sold out games,they can totally redesign complete stadiums for absolute fan comfort.

If you've seen empty seating at a stadium in an NFL game,it's usually the owner of that seat was sick,couldn't make it because of work,or bought the ticket to resell it primarily for game day,and nobody took up the offer.

But the main reason is that even with a season ticket,it still can cost a lot of money to go the the game.

And of course I'm comparing Apples to Oranges given the tenfold difference in population between the two countries.

But with that catchment area that I mentioned before,I'm quite sure our crowd average would be a massive difference.

It's a matter of taking the game to the people.

OldPanther

Coach
Trials are basically hit & giggle runs to fine tune combinations and set plays which hopefully (touch wood) do not lead to any more serious injuries.

If we don't see them live streamed or are not at the game,we really don't miss anything.

Should still be fun to watch I hope. Never watched any of the trials before.

GongPanther

Referee
Should still be fun to watch I hope. Never watched any of the trials before.
It's like going to a heavy contact training run. God know what the scores are going to be.But emphasis on getting the defensive structures right for round one should be the priority.

Thing is,if no team lists are printed,it can be a little confusing.The first game V Easts will have mostly a smattering of 1st graders and reggies,with some u 20s,with some of the first graders not coming out for the 2nd half.

But with no U 20's next season,I suppose all this will somewhat change.

EDIT: The Jersey Flegg and reserves will be on the V Easts trial day,so I assume there will be only the whole NRL squad playing in the main game.

Last edited:

roofromoz

First Grade
Would love to go to Belmore as it is the only Sydney ground I have never been to.

I still think an opportunity was missed last season to have one of the 'Back to Belmore' matches last year to involve Penrith to mark 50 years since our first premiership match.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
First trial is only a week away.

The first game is usually a mixture of 1st graders (first half) then fringe players for the second.

Should be interesting playing the Roosters with there super signings of Tedesco and Cronk.
Looking forward to JWH v RCG match up.

My team

1. Edwards
2. Whare
3. Peachey (but wont be with us for RD 1)
4. Blake
5. Mansour
6. Maloney
7. Cleary
8. Tamou
9. Wallace
10. RCG
11. CHN
12. Yeo
13. Merrin

With
Katoa
Kikau
JFH
Browne
Egan

There will probably be others but it depends who is used in the ISP trial before hand.

franklin2323

Immortal
First trial is only a week away.

The first game is usually a mixture of 1st graders (first half) then fringe players for the second.

Should be interesting playing the Roosters with there super signings of Tedesco and Cronk.
Looking forward to JWH v RCG match up.

My team

1. Edwards
2. Whare
3. Peachey (but wont be with us for RD 1)
4. Blake
5. Mansour
6. Maloney
7. Cleary
8. Tamou
9. Wallace
10. RCG
11. CHN
12. Yeo
13. Merrin

With
Katoa
Kikau
JFH
Browne
Egan

There will probably be others but it depends who is used in the ISP trial before hand.

That will the side to play the 2nd trial. 1st trial will be mainly younger guys. Tamou has a minor injury won't play. Blake and CHN are still coming from injury so doubt they will play. Maybe Maloney and Cleary to play a qtr

I think this

Luai
Sivo
Cartwright
Crichton
Brown
Maloney
Cleary
McKendry
Katoa
Browne
JFH
Kikau
Leota

Egan
Waddell
Ellis
Blore
Burns
Martin
Edwards
Whare

OldPanther

Coach
That will the side to play the 2nd trial. 1st trial will be mainly younger guys. Tamou has a minor injury won't play. Blake and CHN are still coming from injury so doubt they will play. Maybe Maloney and Cleary to play a qtr

I think this

Luai
Sivo
Cartwright
Crichton
Brown
Maloney
Cleary
McKendry
Katoa
Browne
JFH
Kikau
Leota

Egan
Waddell
Ellis
Blore
Burns
Martin
Edwards
Whare

I'm really hoping to see Maloney/Cleary combo for the first time.

OldPanther

Coach
It is a catch 22. They need to get gametime but won't risk injury

If they want a successful year you'd expect some time together in the trials. Even just playing the first half. Get a good feel for things before round 1 under game circumstances.

Latest posts