What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 - what needs to change

Stake Removed

First Grade
I am not biggest Holmes fan at fullback, but i believe this impacted him at fullback as well, we had debutant at hooker in Brailey who i think did outstanding job for his age, but if we had Ennis there, allowing Holmes to have him as hooker for first year at fullback i think would have helped in so much more to handle the role

So you think a 21yo should get one season

And dugan

Fmd Dugan is an average FB these days despite have years of experience on Holmes.

Makes me laugh when people expect a 21yo to replace a 27yo who's played the position all his career, and then say oh well he's not as good as barba back to the wing you go.
Thats all irrelevant. His manager sold him as a top 3 first grade fullback & that is what we bought & that is what we needed for our small window of premiership opportunities. If hes nto ready, he can pharkk off & practice at some other gumby club like the Warriors. Come back when hes ready to fullfill his enormaous pay packet

jak

Bench
Thats all irrelevant. His manager sold him as a top 3 first grade fullback & that is what we bought & that is what we needed for our small window of premiership opportunities. If hes nto ready, he can pharkk off & practice at some other gumby club like the Warriors. Come back when hes ready to fullfill his enormaous pay packet
some other gumby club, I like that

Inferno

Coach
So you think a 21yo should get one season

And dugan

Fmd Dugan is an average FB these days despite have years of experience on Holmes.

Makes me laugh when people expect a 21yo to replace a 27yo who's played the position all his career, and then say oh well he's not as good as barba back to the wing you go.

I wasn't expecting Holmes to be the greatest fullback in the history of fullbacks. But for a player who has played fullback for years and in his third season of first grade I was expecting better than the average season we got.

Surely

Post Whore
I wasn't expecting Holmes to be the greatest fullback in the history of fullbacks. But for a player who has played fullback for years and in his third season of first grade I was expecting better than the average season we got.

Compare his stats to other good fullbacks like Tedesco Slater Boyd, they aren't that bad.

southland

Juniors
I don't think Holmes is done at fb at all. He is only just getting going. He has some flaws for sure but his positives by far outweigh his negatives. That said he f**ken did my head in with that last performance against cows.

Surely

Post Whore
I don't think Holmes is done at fb at all. He is only just getting going. He has some flaws for sure but his positives by far outweigh his negatives. That said he f**ken did my head in with that last performance against cows.

true, just a shame coote got to punch the ball out after his break.

Shows what he can do if the defensive line staggers though.

Laziness again with that effort. The redical direction change on top of the painted grass, is U10's stuff. The same thing we were criticising CApewell for. & to then leave the ball so insecure whilst on the ground, with one arm, knowing that he was going to get hit hard by at least 1 defender, is just mind boggling dumb. DUMB LAZY.

Surely

Post Whore
Laziness again with that effort. The redical direction change on top of the painted grass, is U10's stuff. The same thing we were criticising CApewell for. & to then leave the ball so insecure whilst on the ground, with one arm, knowing that he was going to get hit hard by at least 1 defender, is just mind boggling dumb. DUMB LAZY.

yeah yeah probs like lewis when he got the ball punched out lazy, shit player.

Is that how it works ?

Actually yes it was a lazy carry by Lewis actually. But he is neither shit, nor habitually lazy. Holmes is not shit, but he is 100% lazy. That is why he is better on the wing. Doesnt have to think about anything, just gets the ball when its given to him with the majoirty of the thinking work & setting up already done.
Lewis has nothing to prove & is the 2nd most determined player in the squad. Nothing to see there.

Surely

Post Whore
Actually yes it was a lazy carry by Lewis actually. But he is neither shit, nor habitually lazy. Holmes is not shit, but he is 100% lazy. That is why he is better on the wing. Doesnt have to think about anything, just gets the ball when its given to him with the majoirty of the thinking work & setting up already done.
Lewis has nothing to prove & is the 2nd most determined player in the squad. Nothing to see there.

I think holmes kick returns show he isn't lazy, he runs it back hard.

The bigger issue is flanno has signed a shit centre, so no doubt you will get what you want.

and you are right, holmes should have held the ball in both hands while running flat out, that's what every one does don't they ?

M2D2

Bench
I thought Holmes would do well at FB. He didnt. He really didnt.
But he just dropped alot of ball and the only play they persisted with was the barba play and Holmes is not that kind of FB.
But im not entirely sure how much of the blame should be on our halves, holmes or our coaching staff.

Weaponhead

Coach
Some interesting points when comparing Holmes to Slater, Boyd and Tedesco.

Holmes scored more tries than Tedesco and Boyd (2 less than Slater)
Holmes run metres was equal to Tedesco and more than Slater and Boyd
Holmes had 10 line breaks compared to 12 for Ted and 14 for Slater
Holmes had the lowest Try Assists and Line Break Assists
Holmes had more tackle brakes than Boyd, equal with Slater and much less than Ted.
Holmes missed tackles were equal with Ted, less than Slater and more than Boyd.

Slater is the best all-round fullback, Boyd has the best passing game and defensive game and Ted is the best running fullback. Holmes goes Ok for making meters, his passing game and line running game are not good enough and his front on defence has looked fragile.

At this point in his career he lacks the class and nous of the others but he is also the youngest. Can he develop it, that's the challenge for the coaching staff.

If we want a fullback, who's only string in their bow is running back hard & fast, then we still dont ahve the right one. FEKI would equal or surpass Holmes on that front too.

If Dugan was playing fullback, JT doesnt score that try either. Not taking blame away from the 4 forward he went through, but he would not have been standing around waving his arms doing ZERO.

azzah72

Bench
I hate Dugan, He's my new Trent Barrett. Hate the signing.

I'm going to hate on him all year no matter what.

He probably should be fullback though with Holmes back on the wing.