What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RLIF Calender

siv

First Grade
What matches do we actually have confirmed for 2019 ?

There was a lot of talk of setting a calender but it seems to disappeared once the RLWC ended

roughyedspud

Coach
This is what I'd do.... unsurprisingly I'd scrap GB...

all the home nations are going to be down under anyway for the world 9s,then we should be looking at organising "mini tours" for Wales,Scotland & Ireland where they play in the world 9s and then pick up a test or two against the island nations as they warm up for the Pacific cup..and leave England to play Australia..

The whole thing could look something like this..

Wales - world 9s ,test v PNG,test v Fiji...then they go play in the Pacific cup.

Scotland - world 9s , test v Samoa,test v PNG....then Pacific cup

Ireland - world 9s ,test v NZ ,test v Tonga...then Pacific cup

England - world 9s ,test v PNG,test v Tonga, 3 tests v australia...

adamkungl

Immortal
Confirmed:
GB Lions tour
WC Qualifiers

Semi-confirmed:
9s World Cup

So my calendar would look like this:

June
- every nation plays 1 test (except Aus due to SOO)
- some key match ups: PNG v Fiji game 1 of 3, NZ v Tonga game 1 of tri series with Samoa, England v Scotland

July
- France v England, make this annual

Oct
- RLIF 9s WC played over 1 or 2 weekends.
- Aus v PNG and Fiji (PM XIII is rebranded as full test)
- NZ-Tonga-Samoa tri series games 2 and 3
- Aus v NZ games 1 and 2, of 3
- PNG v Fiji games 2 and 3
- couple more games for Lebanon, Tonga, Samoa, Cook Isl
- All nations participating in Qualifiers playing at least 1 warm up test. Key match-up England v France game 2 of 2.

Nov
-GB Lions tour : v Aus x3, v NZ, Fiji, Tonga (running into Dec)
-WC Qualifiers round 2/A (Europe, A-Pac, America, MEA)
-Aus v NZ game 3
-NZ tri series final

Dec
-WC Qualifiers round 3 /final playoffs

roughyedspud

Coach
And I'll answer the question why before they are asked..

If Wales,Scotland or Ireland have any players good enough to be selected for GB then that'll weaken their teams for the qualifiers and risk non qualification..which would be a disaster.

On the flipside of that...if Wales,Scotland or Ireland have no players repping for GB then why tour as GB?

I've been saying for years that GB monumentally fxxks up international development,it puts the Celts out of the spotlight..GB has caused us not to have a continental cup in 2019....

I'll leave it at that before a go on a massive rant lol

adamkungl

Immortal
Good points.
The qualifiers running at the same time as GB would not be good. They'll move back to October in my calendar then.

In future, major tour events like GB should run in year 3 well out of the way of qualifiers and the proposed 8 Nation RLIF comp.

roughyedspud

Coach
Or we just don't have GB..simple

That clown Zack Wilson has proposed that England play as GB next year against NZ just to avoid the words "England knights" being used in the European Cup..

And we wonder why we never progress forward.

Latest posts