2021 Qualifiers

Discussion in 'World Cup 2021' started by Foreign Legion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. yakstorm

yakstorm Bench

Details of the Americas Qualifiers have started to emerge. Games to be played in Jacksonville.

13th November - USA v Chile
    TBC - Canada v Jamaica

17th November - Winner of both matches

2. latingringo101

latingringo101 Juniors

I know the winner of the games go through to the world cup, but who goes through to the Asia/pacific play off?

3. Dakink

Dakink Bench

Greece v Ukraine TV ad.

4. yakstorm

yakstorm Bench

Runners up will supposedly host the Cook Islands and South Africa.

I say supposedly, as I'm sure the RLIF / RLWC will let the US or Canada host, but I wonder if they'd underwrite Jamaica or Chile.

5. paulmac

paulmac Juniors

3rd World Cup cycle in a row where the US get a leg up. Not only have they they hosted every tournament, in the previous 2 editions they have had the benefit of a weeks rest between games as opposed to the 3/4 day turn around Canada/Jamaica/SA got. This time they get the soft draw of newcomers Chile. Surely a round robin is the correct way to determine the Americas qualifier

6. latingringo101

latingringo101 Juniors

I guess it comes down to logistics and finances. I remember hearing Spinner talk about the 2015 RLWC qualifiers and he said that the reason they are played in a short amount of time is pretty much the costs of holding the qualifiers.

I assume it'll be in Florida which is pretty much central for all nations (relatively speaking) and easier if played over a week.

7. yakstorm

yakstorm Bench

A short tournament in a central location works if you want to allow each nation to name their strongest teams, especially if they have players flying in from the UK or Australia, or if the tournament has time constraints, and for some regions in makes sense to run the qualifiers like that, but I'd argue for the Americas it is almost counter-productive.

The short term nature of the tournament means it is actually easier for a nation like Jamaica or Chile to just bring across a majority heritage team versus if they had kept the Americas Cup style they had been playing the last few years the squads would have remained predominantly local players.

Anyway, regardless of who qualifies, all four nations have more than enough runs on the board domestically to justify their inclusion.

8. paulmac

paulmac Juniors

Surely 3 games in a week is doable?

siv likes this.