What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 R10 Sat - Melbourne 18-25 Cronulla @ AAMI

Round 10: Melbourne v Cronulla

• Melbourne Storm

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tiger Shark

Bench
I mentioned that

Regardless, the numbers don't lie.
Lolz

Are those teams in the top 8

- right now
- before we play them
- after we play them
- all of the above and depends on what fits the agenda best

We've played 3 teams who were in the top 8 before we played them (cowboys and both raiders games) and if the argument is we can't beat a Top 8 team well they were top 8 when we beat them.

You're counting the Dogs game now but when we played them they weren't in the 8, so does that count ?

So which one is it ?

Is it before we play them when they are in the 8 and considered a top 8 team.

Is it at any point in time using a snap shot of the NRL ladder, which any person with a brain will realise is flawed given the dynamic nature of the table so early in the season.

This Year?

Immortal
Blore and E. Katoa will have to be at their best for this one.
I think both sides will treat this as a finals dress rehearsal.

Valheru

Coach
Lolz

Are those teams in the top 8

- right now
- before we play them
- after we play them
- all of the above and depends on what fits the agenda best

We've played 3 teams who were in the top 8 before we played them (cowboys and both raiders games) and if the argument is we can't beat a Top 8 team well they were top 8 when we beat them.

You're counting the Dogs game now but when we played them they weren't in the 8, so does that count ?

So which one is it ?

Is it before we play them when they are in the 8 and considered a top 8 team.

Is it at any point in time using a snap shot of the NRL ladder, which any person with a brain will realise is flawed given the dynamic nature of the table so early in the season.
I'm talking about right now which I explicitly stated so not sure why you are confused. The ladder is also not as dynamic as you think at this time of the season which I also mentioned in my post, with the top 8 at the end of round 9 generally being a good predictor of the top 8 come end of the regular season. The last 3 years for example have only produced two changes in the top 8 from round 9 and generally from the bottom portion of the 8 (2020 only had one but it was also a shorter season).

Obviously conducting the exercise at the end of the season will show the full story but it still has value at this point of the season and if you want to argue that you need more time to evaluate whether playing all of Penrith, Storm, Roosters and Brisbane once only is an advantage than good luck to you.

As others including myself have said, this isn't the sharks fault, it is just an oddity of the draw and their true quality will be determined come finals time where they have failed the last two seasons when the same criticisms were levelled against them

Storm getting close to full strength with Xavier Coates & Tui Kamikamica returning for the Storm.

Storm $1.60 favourites for the match.

yobbo84

Coach
I'm talking about right now which I explicitly stated so not sure why you are confused. The ladder is also not as dynamic as you think at this time of the season which I also mentioned in my post, with the top 8 at the end of round 9 generally being a good predictor of the top 8 come end of the regular season. The last 3 years for example have only produced two changes in the top 8 from round 9 and generally from the bottom portion of the 8 (2020 only had one but it was also a shorter season).

Obviously conducting the exercise at the end of the season will show the full story but it still has value at this point of the season and if you want to argue that you need more time to evaluate whether playing all of Penrith, Storm, Roosters and Brisbane once only is an advantage than good luck to you.

As others including myself have said, this isn't the sharks fault, it is just an oddity of the draw and their true quality will be determined come finals time where they have failed the last two seasons when the same criticisms were levelled against them

It's not an oddity - it's manufactured. The Sharks always get the soft draw because they're a "small" club that doesn't rate on TV. They don't get the ratings boon of playing the "big"/high ratings teams twice.

That has nothing to do with success or failure of their club or others - just how it is in terms of support on television.

The one peculiarity is in the sense that the "big" teams (Souths, Eels, Broncos, Storm, Roosters, etc) have been somewhat successful of late, so them all playing each other twice in a season has been to their own detriment.

Unless there is a proper home and away schedule, for as long as TV rules, it'll remain unfair. The only way the Sharks will cop a tough draw is if the Dragons/Tigers/their other regular repeat opponents get good.

Anyway, I can tell Sharks fans that from experience being the 2nd-4th best team in the league for 5 years in a row doesn't fill the hole from the lack of a premiership.

They'll need to get grubby and learn to play finals football or they'll get dusted up in the finals - again. Something we failed to learn.

It's not an oddity - it's manufactured. The Sharks always get the soft draw because they're a "small" club that doesn't rate on TV. They don't get the ratings boon of playing the "big"/high ratings teams twice.

That has nothing to do with success or failure of their club or others - just how it is in terms of support on television.

The one peculiarity is in the sense that the "big" teams (Souths, Eels, Broncos, Storm, Roosters, etc) have been somewhat successful of late, so them all playing each other twice in a season has been to their own detriment.

Unless there is a proper home and away schedule, for as long as TV rules, it'll remain unfair. The only way the Sharks will cop a tough draw is if the Dragons/Tigers/their other regular repeat opponents get good.

Anyway, I can tell Sharks fans that from experience being the 2nd-4th best team in the league for 5 years in a row doesn't fill the hole from the lack of a premiership.

They'll need to get grubby and learn to play finals football or they'll get dusted up in the finals - again. Something we failed to learn.
Will let you know what finals are like later in the year

We are not a small Club.

Don’t know why you think that.

We have only missed the finals since 2015 once.

BWNB

First Grade
This is the game every Rugby league follower has been waiting for, sharks against a top team.

Narrative after the game, sharks played a team below them on the ladder.

Jealousy of our successful start to the season is just off the charts. As Sharks fans we’re just enjoying the ride. We’re enjoying the way the team is playing which is more I can say about most fans supporters about their own teams.