What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 RLWC

DC_fan

Coach
Is it true this event will be held in North America?

If so, it could be a little embarrassing if neither Canada or the USA are in the competition.

Rory

Juniors
Usually the host nation plays, e.g. PNG had 3 home games therefore they hosted. And too prove that they never made the finals in 2013 or played a pacific qualifying. So America and Canada will both be there

Billythekid

First Grade
Is it true this event will be held in North America?

If so, it could be a little embarrassing if neither Canada or the USA are in the competition.

I'm assuming the hosts would automatically qualify. With 16 teams in that World Cup both should have a good shot at making it anyway. Hopefully with the developments happening in the US and Canada they'll be in a better state by 2025 anyway.

Having said that I don't think the tournaments success will live or die on the presence of a US team particularly one unlikely to be competitive. I think there are plenty of reasons to be nervous about a NA based World Cup but that's not one for me.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
North America have two qualifying spots from the 2021 world cup onwards and yes, the hosts will auto-qualify for the 2025 tournament.

There is a push at the moment for North American clubs to join the English system alongside the Wolfpack - hopefully the 2025 world cup legacy is to create an influx of local talent into the pro teams and the amateur domestic teams

The Partisan

My understanding (possibly incorrect) is that it is 'approved in principle' however there is not yet been a formal sign off from the RLIF. Personally think it is a cup too soon myself. 2029 allows for the local 10 - 15 year olds market to be hopefully captured ASAP and playing ranks drawn from this new generation for the Cup - both as players and spectators.

Valheru

Coach
I am sure the hosts would be given automatic qualification.

Having said that and based on what we have seen this world cup, there is a lot of work to do for both USA and Canada if they are going to be anywhere close to competitive hosts.