What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24 Hour NRL channel

no name

Coach
So no surprise Marty Johns show will move to Thursday night after the game. Going head to head with 9's The Footy Show.
NRL Footy Show's ratings in Sydney/Brisbane are going to nosedive even further this year if what you said goes ahead. Very good planning on the behalf of Fox Sports management.
Yeah, Matty Johns show will destroy The Footy Show.
It will either wake them up to produce something half decent or it will die.
I hope for the former, expect the latter.

adamkungl

Immortal
So when's this kick off?

Super League seems to have been numped to Fox Sports 2 and 4. Which is odd for a network with a 24 hour RL channel on FS1..

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah, Matty Johns show will destroy The Footy Show.
It will either wake them up to produce something half decent or it will die.
I hope for the former, expect the latter.

Isnt Fox subscription less than 20% of households? If so how will any Fox program smash FTA no matter how much better?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given the brains at the NRL they would probably see a game KO of 3pm in Perth on a Friday as a good thing lol.

AJB1102

First Grade
20th Feb repeats, 27th Feb live programs

https://decidertv.com/page/2017/2/5/fox-league-channel-to-launch-this-month-foxtel-foxsportsaus

"Fans will be able to see two games live on Fridays and, while the early game may present some challenges in terms of attendances, we think it will be a big hit," said NRL CEO Todd Greenberg.

No sht Sherlock!

Even Greenburg can't be stupid enough to think it'll work for bums on seats at the stadium or even bums on couches at home at 6PM Friday.

He brought up BBL early starts to try show it could work. He acknowledged it was school holidays but not that the only BBL matches to start before 7PM were on a weekend.

If it lasts the year I'll be a bit surprised, and if it does last the year I expect it will be because Fox and NRL will be completely ignorant to the problem and do nothing.

Panfas

Juniors
or even bums on couches at home at 6PM Friday.

Why not? Seven & Nine news always pull big numbers for Friday 6pm news telecasts, many times they are both the #1 & #2 program for the night. The thought that people are not at home by 6pm is a myth.

http://tvtonight.com.au/2017/02/friday-3-february-2017.html

Not everyone works conventional 9-5 or stuck in traffic at 5pm

The 6pm timeslot should pull good numbers on tv, probably just shy of the 7.30 timeslot

Why not? Seven & Nine news always pull big numbers for Friday 6pm news telecasts, many times they are both the #1 & #2 program for the night. The thought that people are not at home by 6pm is a myth.

The 6pm timeslot should pull good numbers on tv, probably just shy of the 7.30 timeslot

The more I think about it the more this could surprise everyone. I know few people that work the full stretch on Friday. Pick the kids up, take em to the footy and get em in bed at a decent hour.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is there any new shows announced for the channel? Please don't tell me we are still going to get 3 NRL360 shows!

a Roy and HG show would be great in style of the Olympics shows they used to do
World of rugby league with Mascord and Voss
Grassroots RL show featuring lower tiers and state comps would be good

Anything new on the horizon or am I paying $4 more for the same?

I pitched them to take my Sharkcast TV show and they didn't want a bar of it.

Not because the show was bad per se but because they didn't want club based shows in isolation.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i wonder what's happening with the Yvonne Sampson thing

haven't read anything on it for a while and when she can start

AJB1102

First Grade

Fair call. Could be onto something.

Johnny88

Juniors
I think Fox will be even more successful this season especially on Fri night tune in to watch 2 games. Don't think pubs and clubs will switch to Ch 9 for second game. If 9 do poorly out of this I can't see them selling there games to fox in the next tv deal if they were to win the rights again.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Different demographics? News is a wider appeal watched by older people, NRL niche with a younger audience maybe

adamkungl

Immortal
Slightly related to ratings chat.. funny article from the ever enlightening Roar

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/02/09/broncos-get-best-tv-timeslots-heres-deserve/

TLDR: Broncos get the best timeslots, so they get the best ratings, so deserve the best timeslots.

Quality analysis. No comparison of Broncos ratings v others across different timeslots (I guess such a comparison would be impossible since Broncos don't get played across different timeslots...

If anyone has been wondering why the 9s and other games have been on Fox Sports 2, the following is from Foxtel's website -

New channel – Fox League ∨ ∧
Fox League is a new channel dedicated to rugby league which will be added to the Sport Pack from 27 February 2017. Fox League will be found on Channel 502 and will replace Fox Sports 2 from this date.

Watch your team, every round of the 2017 NRL Telstra Premiership live, as well as additional NRL programming.

Latest posts