What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24 Hour NRL channel

Life's Good

Coach
Before the Warriors came in I went for Manly. I knew no better. I was young, and lived on a farm in gods country Aoteroa. Watched Manly v Canberra from 91 finals I believe. Reminded me of why Cliff Lyons was my favourite player. My god his playmaking was from the theatre of the lords above. Imagine Cliffy playing touch footy. The tries he would create. His passing game was like watching a top point guard ankle breaking or a footballer nutmegging. It was so hard to read and near impossible to stop.

All hail King Cliffy.
His ability to hold the ball until the right moment is legendary.
He could do it before, at & after the line. Wasn’t the quickest on 2 legs but one of the quickest between the ears.
As much as they terrorised my club the combination of Lyons & Menzies was worth watching.

Iafeta

Referee
Canberra at Newie I think from 94 is on now. I remember as a young bloke Brett Mullins going the length of the field untouched and being in awe. Watching back now it was a clear as day obstruction from Johnny Lomax who is coming back onside after the kick. Lomax stands between two defenders who are about to tackle Mullins who then runs right behind and around him. Funny, I thought it was amazing as a kid, didn't even dawn on me that it was a penalty for your life.

Norths Tiger

Juniors
Loving the extended walk down memory lane at the moment but a few questions the LU crowd may know the answer to...

1. Why is Vossy's voice much higher 20+ years ago?
2. We're now up 97 (ARL) season, had a look through the EPG on what games are coming up, once Manly v Newcastle grand final is done, it jumps ahead to the 1998 season. Why doesn't Fox League replay Super League (1997) games ever? I know someone who used to work at Fox Sports and asked him this once, he said no restrictions, just not many great games in that season...but I don't buy it.

Loving the extended walk down memory lane at the moment but a few questions the LU crowd may know the answer to...

2. We're now up 97 (ARL) season, had a look through the EPG on what games are coming up, once Manly v Newcastle grand final is done, it jumps ahead to the 1998 season. Why doesn't Fox League replay Super League (1997) games ever? I know someone who used to work at Fox Sports and asked him this once, he said no restrictions, just not many great games in that season...but I don't buy it.

On the whole, there weren't that many great game played in the Australian Super League during 1997. The Broncos were far and away the best team in that comp, with daylight second. Canberra lost some its players, so it had come back to the pack in 1997, add in that the rucks in Super League games were that fast the games were almost like watching touch football.

By comparison, the NRL had far more contenders in its ranks even though Manly were chock filled with talent as the defending premiers from 1996. Teams like the Roosters and Eels were the improvers, whilst you had Norths and Saints still contending. The only real game talked about as being a highlight in Super League was the Tri-Series final between NSW and Qld, and that was because it went to sudden death extra time and went for over 100 minutes.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Been watching some of the games in the 90s. Some great memories as a kid growing up watching League.

You watch some of these games and think how much has changed over the year and it was over 20 years ago.

Back then the ruck was a bit messy but provided you stand up and play the ball the referee will allow play to continue.

Nowadays they either penalise too much or don't even bother watching. Some players now don't even make the effort of getting up to play the ball and when they either fall over or lose the ball they earn the penalty.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Probably best letting sleeping dogs lie lol

siv

First Grade
Thought we would get to see matches not previously broadcast

Instead we get a rehash of the same 1980 and 1990 games that were broadcast over the last few years

Maybe they could not a full season in a month from over 15 years ago

Life's Good

Coach
Thought we would get to see matches not previously broadcast

Instead we get a rehash of the same 1980 and 1990 games that were broadcast over the last few years

Maybe they could not a full season in a month from over 15 years ago
You must have bucketloads of time on your hands to have seen these games replayed before.
I’m have been openly critical of Fox league but, I’ll admit, the last couple of weeks have been great with some hidden gems shown from the past.

Rocket's tache

Juniors
Well, I've had the most wonderful Xmas Eve watching all the old grand finals from the 70s and 80s back-to-back.
I've seen Hollywood give Manly everything and listened to Rex Miossop's one-eyes commentary in '78, watched Rocket Reddy dominate for Saints in '79 when he had to be the best player in the world at that time for mine and marvelled again at that fabulous treble-winning Parramatta side.
Sterlo was pulling the strings and the sublime Brett Kenny and unsung Steve Ella excelled outside him, I've seen again how close Newtown came to winning in '81 (they were gone 2 years later) and now I'm watching the Dogs of War come to the fore. The game was less structured, more error-strewn but, for me, wonderfully enjoyable in those days.
We tend to bag most things in this great sport of ours but I applaud Fox for some wonderful programming throughout the month of December (some thought appears to have gone into the choice of games) and I've simply loved it.

roofromoz

First Grade
You must have bucketloads of time on your hands to have seen these games replayed before.
I’m have been openly critical of Fox league but, I’ll admit, the last couple of weeks have been great with some hidden gems shown from the past.

I have never seen in full the 1985 playoff for 5th spot, when Penrith beat Manly to qualify for their first finals series. That alone is a big thumbs up from me re: their current programming.

Life's Good

Coach
I have never seen in full the 1985 playoff for 5th spot, when Penrith beat Manly to qualify for their first finals series. That alone is a big thumbs up from me re: their current programming.
As a 12 y/o at the time I remember they were squaring up for a play off but had no way finding any info on the game(minimal coverage, no WWW, social media, text etc.).
I have enjoyed the step back in time and some of the random players that were ‘sales reps’ & ‘bank clerks’ makes you realise how far the game has come.

siv

First Grade

I like to keep a personal copy for statistical references of my team games. But tapes have degraded over time.

Broadcasting started in 1962 but there are so many other games between 62 and 75 I never saw on TV or live. That I would like to watch. Confirm team lists replacements etc

Stallion

First Grade
Well, I've had the most wonderful Xmas Eve watching all the old grand finals from the 70s and 80s back-to-back.
I've seen Hollywood give Manly everything and listened to Rex Miossop's one-eyes commentary in '78, watched Rocket Reddy dominate for Saints in '79 when he had to be the best player in the world at that time for mine and marvelled again at that fabulous treble-winning Parramatta side.
Sterlo was pulling the strings and the sublime Brett Kenny and unsung Steve Ella excelled outside him, I've seen again how close Newtown came to winning in '81 (they were gone 2 years later) and now I'm watching the Dogs of War come to the fore. The game was less structured, more error-strewn but, for me, wonderfully enjoyable in those days.
We tend to bag most things in this great sport of ours but I applaud Fox for some wonderful programming throughout the month of December (some thought appears to have gone into the choice of games) and I've simply loved it.

I do like watching the past great games of this wonderful competition. It's compelling and educational. And for those much younger a real inspiration and source of historical significance the game has enjoyed. Just a point of concern on today's Fox telecasts on 502. I think it more appropriate to have replays of the Australian Kangaroos games than state of origin replays on Australia Day.

mozza91

Coach
Craving Rugby League talk so much that I’m actually looking forward to seeing Kent’s smug head.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Craving Rugby League talk so much that I’m actually looking forward to seeing Kent’s smug head.

The Toronto Wolfpack show was great. This time well done FOX Rugby league! Also good to see some positive additional club expansion plans likely! And a genuine aim to make the club game entry tickets cheaper along with increasing participation numbers. Something finally positive! At last! Vlandys and Beattie look like positive movers for the game!

no name

Coach
They really ramped up the doom and gloom around the plight of the game on tonight’s show.

Also had to laugh when Kent said Langlands health deteriorated quickly as he called him over for a beer and he said no. Maybe he just didn’t want to be seen with you.

mozza91

Coach
Yeah Kent was at his most negative tonight. 6 weeks of pent up hostility and general inadequacy as a man will do that. Glad he had a shot at the Thurston/Smith testimonial farce though.