What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 Years ago the game lost a promising player, Ben Alexander

Very very sad period in the history of the club. Ben Alexander could've been something really special. Tragic.

Not only that it tore the club apart, we could've had a genuine period of finals football success.

Fangs

Coach
Before my time. But those I've spoken to say that is absolutely devastated the club. And obviously terrible for the Alexander family.

I was a young but remember the time. We had a bad run with injuries that year and by mid season we were hovering around the top 5. We knocked off the top of the table Roosters earlier that day. I remember thinking maybe we can get going now and charge for another title. If we can get some of the troops back. Brandy was playing well early in the year before he got injured. I was so happy we won that day.

That all changed when I heard the news the on the radio. I still remember that morning well when I heard the news. I can even recall what I was doing at the time. I was so sad at the time and there after.
I can't speak for Brandy and his family, or Ben's close mates. Not something you would get over.
All of us that were old enough knew what happened afterwards to the club. It tore the club and individuals to bits. Like the boys I couldn't wait for the 92 season to be over. Just a shit time.
One accident certainly changed a lot of lives. Its a damm shame it happened that way.

The yak

Juniors
No question the the ensuing years after the 91 GF were our worst in the clubs history. A few of the early years, a little before my time, were bleak. As was the tragic accident involving John Farragher. (younger readers should look that one up)
But I would have to say the period from 92 - 97 was the worst period in the clubs history. Ben's tragic death the aftermath that would rip the soul out of the club that took many years to get back.
The eventual departures of Brandy, Geyer and Gould really set us back. You knew why they couldn't stay. The super League war almost knocked us out. There were dark times many though this club would fold. We were playing games in that period in front of 5 or 6 thousand fans.

We might now be know as the penny Panthers but I think our old nickname the chocolate soldiers sums us up.
Despite all the turmoil and the heartache. The club, the fans, the players kept turning up and soldiering on.

1st & 10

Juniors
John Farragher still a legend at the leagues club. Great man

Wasn't a Goodwin sibling also involved the tragic accident ?

pantherz9103

First Grade
I certainly haven't forgotten when my mum told me the news of his death, when I was just a little kid. I was very sad but I didn't quite understand just how devastating it was and would prove to be for the club long term. He surely would have been in line for rep honours if he hadn't lost his life tragically.
I also read that Mark Geyer hated Gus for a long time for sending Ben Alexander home drunk from a team gathering.