What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2GB, ABC or Triple M, who do you listen to for your league coverage?

Which radio station do you listen to for your league coverage?

• 2GB

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Triple M

Votes: 74 49.3%
  • ABC

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Don't listen to league on the radio

Votes: 10 6.7%

• Total voters

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Says more about radio than it does the NRL. You can watch a game just as easily as listening to it, so why would you only listen to it?

This is true, however also Singo will do whatever it takes to pay less for the broadcast rights. Which goes back to my point, just let them have it free.

insert.pause

First Grade
This is true, however also Singo will do whatever it takes to pay less for the broadcast rights. Which goes back to my point, just let them have it free.
Yep, the NRL would benefit far greater from the additional reach of the game by making the rights non exclusive than the pocket change they will get by selling them exclusive.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Yep, the NRL would benefit far greater from the additional reach of the game by making the rights non exclusive than the pocket change they will get by selling them exclusive.

As much as I disagree with you on a lot of points, I still think you should get a job at the NRL. Think you have much more of an idea than the guys running the game.

Triple M. Since wok got booted from ABC. Ah i remember when he ignored some woman from South Australia posing as a sideline eye, it was golden

2gb are a bunch of dribblers.

Shannon Byrne. She's a f**ktard of mammoth proportions. And Wok was right. I heard her fumble and bumble her way through some stats and both Wok and Morrow disbelieved her immediately and told her to get her shit sorted.

Now they're both gone and she's a 'sports journalist' for the ABC. Probably licking someone's gash for the role.
Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 8.48.43 pm.png

insert.pause

First Grade
As much as I disagree with you on a lot of points, I still think you should get a job at the NRL. Think you have much more of an idea than the guys running the game.
The worry is that even the prospect of making the rights non-exclusive has probably not occurred to the NRL. I think I have probably come across to your way of thinking on at least a few points.

Incorrect

Coach
Shannon Byrne. She's a f**ktard of mammoth proportions. And Wok was right. I heard her fumble and bumble her way through some stats and both Wok and Morrow disbelieved her immediately and told her to get her shit sorted.

Now they're both gone and she's a 'sports journalist' for the ABC. Probably licking someone's gash for the role.
View attachment 11793
Abso-f**king-lutely

Check out my post earlier in this thread (# 121 from 2015) with regard to Shannon Byrne.... terrible, just terrible....

Brutus

Referee

View attachment 11793

Agree. She was awful and no knowledge on rugby league at all. Her background is in the AFL states so not surprised. She is even annoying doing game day promotional stuff for the Sydney Sixers. I heard Ruan Simms doing the sideline stuff for the ABC on weekend and she was good. Hopefully she has replaced Byrne.

Ruan Sims was awesome.

Andrew Moore loathes the AFL. Always mentions that some caller or listener or twitter writer has asked why they go to AFL or give out scores etc and he always bemoans it too.

Ruan Sims would make a great replacement for Byrne if that is the case.

Incorrect

Coach
I heartily endorse the Ruan Sims sentiments above. Her input is seamless and informed. I'm not sure if she has a background in broadcasting or public speaking etc , but she is light yeras ahead of the likes of Shannon Byrne who has been on ABC Radio for a number of years now and has improved only marginally, if at all....

Brutus

Referee
Ruan Sims is a league person and when listening to rugby league on the radio, that is what I want to hear.

Does John Gibbs still do stuff for the ABC? Surely Gibbsy has a gig somewhere.

FlameThrower

Bench
Stumbled across Roy and HG on Triple M. I was waiting for the punchline, it was not funny and for a station that broadcasts Rugby League, they did not do anything to support it.
I think Triple M has stuffed this up, completely wrong audience if you ask me...

Mr Saab

Referee
Agree Flamethrower. HG Nelson rants and raves and screams. I listened for 40 mins last Saturday and it was just horrendous radio. 2UE lifestyle medical shows on how to fix an ingrown toenail would be more entertaining.

undertaker

Coach
Agree Flamethrower. HG Nelson rants and raves and screams. I listened for 40 mins last Saturday and it was just horrendous radio. 2UE lifestyle medical shows on how to fix an ingrown toenail would be more entertaining.

Stumbled across Roy and HG on Triple M. I was waiting for the punchline, it was not funny and for a station that broadcasts Rugby League, they did not do anything to support it.
I think Triple M has stuffed this up, completely wrong audience if you ask me...

I've always found Roy far more witty and funny than HG Nelson, although HG Nelson does most of the talking. Occasionally HG comes up with something good, but has relied too heavily on this way-over-the-top-rant schtick since I first saw him on Club Buggery back in the mid-'90s.

As a comedy duo though, unfortunately time has past them by and whilst in RL circles they had some very memorable State of Origin and Grand Final calls over the years, their style hasn't evolved to adapt to changes which have occurred and are still trying to live off the success from the Sydney Olympics.

Suitman

Post Whore
Just listening to the radio coverage of the game now, like I do almost every Sunday.
I know some on here don't like him, but I reckon Dan Ginnane is the best commentator in RL.
No nonsense. Plenty of drama. No crap. Good sense of humour. Good knowledge of the game.
Alongside Gordy Tallis, Ryan Girdler and Bill Harrigan, this is easily the best coverage of the game.
Nein and Fox should take note.

Vee

First Grade
Just listening to the radio coverage of the game now, like I do almost every Sunday.
I know some on here don't like him, but I reckon Dan Ginnane is the best commentator in RL.
No nonsense. Plenty of drama. No crap. Good sense of humour. Good knowledge of the game.
Alongside Gordy Tallis, Ryan Girdler and Bill Harrigan, this is easily the best coverage of the game.
Nein and Fox should take note.
Sounds like a Dream Team. Haven't heard Ginnane, I'll take your word for him but I like Tallis and Girdler. Not sure about Harrigan, I think his ego would mar it for mine .

Vozzy

Juniors
Yeah I like triple m aswell. Tallis I'm not the biggest fan but I like Girdler. Harrigan is good from a referee point of view which is something different. Maroon and Dan are good play by play commentators. 2gb only really like Mark Riddell if he joined triple m would be awesome.

Brutus

Referee
Maroon is a classic. A funny bastard, good commentator and loves his RL. Sundays are best on MMM. Don't know why they persist with Squires on the Sat show.

Suitman

Post Whore
Maroon is a classic. A funny bastard, good commentator and loves his RL. Sundays are best on MMM. Don't know why they persist with Squires on the Sat show.

Squires actually goes ok as well on the Saturday show.