What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd 3-Mobile Test @ Adelaide Oval:: Nov 28-Dec 2 :: Australia won by Inns and 62 runs

Second Test result :: Australia vs New Zealand

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

African Monkey

First Grade
Bell has been the best Test opener I've seen in a NZ side for a while. That might not be saying much, sure, but you have to have him in there. Redmond is clearly useless. Now, I don't follow the NZ domestic scene obviously, so there may be some better options out there, but IMO this order would suit NZ better

1-How (ideally a 3 from what I've seen, but I don't know any other options)
2-Bell
3-Taylor (Ryder is not up to it at 3 IMO, Taylor while immature would be a better option I think)
4-Fulton/Flynn (at least Flynn has shown the ability to dig in)
5-Ryder
6-Oram (obviously injured for this series, which hasn't helped)
7-McCullum
etc

Another opener would allow How to bat 3, push Taylor down and leave Ryder, Fulton and Flynn to fight it our for the number 5 spot but as I said I don't know any of the domestic players. And tbh, I think NZ need to blood some players, get their best players (How, Oram, Taylor, McCullum etc) in their best spots and then build the best side they can around that.
Clearly you forgot about Richardson as he was one of our best openers of all time. I would have thought that after Bell touring in 2001 with his silly technique that you would have a different opinion of him.

I agree with you on How being more suited at 3 but lack of depth in the opening batting position has forced him to open the batting.

My top 7 for the WI would be the same as I said earlier except for Oram coming in for Fulton with Flynn moving up 1 position.

Bazal

Post Whore
Clearly you forgot about Richardson as he was one of our best openers of all time. I would have thought that after Bell touring in 2001 with his silly technique that you would have a different opinion of him.

I agree with you on How being more suited at 3 but lack of depth in the opening batting position has forced him to open the batting.

My top 7 for the WI would be the same as I said earlier except for Oram coming in for Fulton with Flynn moving up 1 position.

Well, I meant to imply since Richardson...I just think that forcing players to play in positions they aren't as suited to harms the team more than it helps. Surely How would play better at 3, with Bell and perhaps another opener at the top of the order, and that would help the team more than trying to push How into the role? I'm not going to sit here and say that it will certainly be better, but it can't hurt to try something when you're struggling against Bangladesh and being done by an innings against an Aussie side that hasn't really got out of 2nd gear...for mine, that means it's time to change things up

African Monkey

First Grade
Well, I meant to imply since Richardson...I just think that forcing players to play in positions they aren't as suited to harms the team more than it helps. Surely How would play better at 3, with Bell and perhaps another opener at the top of the order, and that would help the team more than trying to push How into the role? I'm not going to sit here and say that it will certainly be better, but it can't hurt to try something when you're struggling against Bangladesh and being done by an innings against an Aussie side that hasn't really got out of 2nd gear...for mine, that means it's time to change things up
Yeah what you're saying is right. I would have McIntosh who opens the batting for Auckland opening the batting ahead of bell though as I feel that he has had enough chances to prove himself and has very rarely delivered.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I think McIntosh put a massive blackmark on his record a few seasons ago. He doesn;t convince me as a player either personally

African Monkey

First Grade
I think McIntosh put a massive blackmark on his record a few seasons ago. He doesn;t convince me as a player either personally
Was that when he averaged about 6 playing for Canterbury ? Either way, I feel that he has shown that when he's set, he can bat for long periods of time which is what we obviously need in the top order.

The Colonel

Immortal
Well done to McCullum and O'Brien..... if a few of the Kiwi top order showed the willingness to hang around it would be an interesting game. O'Brien has been lucky but he's having a go even if he is yet to score.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
It was during that season, apparently NZC set up a 1 on 1 session for him with Martin Crowe, and when he turned up for it he had forgotten his bat after a largish night the night before the session :lol:

Bazal

Post Whore
Good knock from O'Brien...harsh that it will be recorded as a duck, but there you go. Also harsh that he smashed it IMO

The Colonel

Immortal
Can Lee go in to the next Test on a hat trick? :lol: No.... but close enough to it.

Martin must spend some time trying to get his underwear white again after he bats.

Bazal

Post Whore
Three wickets in three balls is still a hat trick.

Merv's was across three overs as well.

Last ball of one over, first ball of his next which ended the innings and first ball of the next Test.

Exactly...I wasn't sure if it was across two tests though, hence the maybe :-k

El Diablo

Post Whore
Three wickets in three balls is still a hat trick.

Merv's was across three overs as well.

Last ball of one over, first ball of his next which ended the innings and first ball of the next Test.

it was all in the same test, not two

Latest posts