What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ODI: Australia v New Zealand at Canberra on Dec 6, 2016

TheParraboy

Staff member
Short turnaround, 2nd game on Tuesday

Will Faulkner and Maxwell get a run?

drop Marsh and Cummins?

or stay with the same side?

JJ

Immortal
Cummins looks like he needs the cricket

Maxwell should be there, probably offers as much with the ball as Zampa?

Southee will presumably play for us, hopefully ahead of Ferguson

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Cummins needs more bowling and I would not judge MMArsh by that innings, very bad luck

Will depend more on the surface as to whether we play a spinner, although the Toyman doesn't really spin the ball

Faulkner really does deserve a run in one of these games.

vvvrulz

Coach
They won't change anything as this was 'winning' team.

However what should happen is Khawaja -> Head, it's sheer madness that he's not in the team to begin with.

And TheBigShowXFactorAllTheToys -> Levers. Whatever he is, The Show is a handy licorice all-sorts who at least gives you a couple of sixes a cheap wicket and a run out. Levers has nothing.

There's no point dropping Cummins, he's capable of better and it's worth finding out if yesterday was an off day.

Bazal

Post Whore
They won't change anything as this was 'winning' team.

However what should happen is Khawaja -> Head, it's sheer madness that he's not in the team to begin with.

And TheBigShowXFactorAllTheToys -> Levers. Whatever he is, The Show is a handy licorice all-sorts who at least gives you a couple of sixes a cheap wicket and a run out. Levers has nothing.

There's no point dropping Cummins, he's capable of better and it's worth finding out if yesterday was an off day.

Why would Khawaja replace Head? Seems pretty poor....get a fifty, get the axe. Khawaja should replace Finch or Bailey, although Finch does like playing at Manuka. So maybe Bailey.

Anyway, I'll be there. Really muggy weather by Canberra standards, some rain around today and storms tomorrow morning and evening so there might be some delays.

Normally by this time of year the pitch will be baked hard but it's been a cold spring so who knows? It looked good at the women's games, maybe a little sticky and it did move about early so hopefully that continues.

vvvrulz

Coach
Why would Khawaja replace Head? Seems pretty poor....get a fifty, get the axe. Khawaja should replace Finch or Bailey, although Finch does like playing at Manuka. So maybe Bailey.

Well like I said they won't chop up the winning team, my point (although not clearly put) is that Head shouldn't have been in the XI to begin with. Not a lot separates the three of them tbh, 50 or not Head wasn't all that impressive. Finch and Bailey, while flawed, at least have experience and have several good knocks under their belt.

tomdl

Bench
Cummins needs more bowling and I would not judge MMArsh by that innings, very bad luck

Will depend more on the surface as to whether we play a spinner, although the Toyman doesn't really spin the ball

Faulkner really does deserve a run in one of these games.

Just judge Marsh on all his most recent innings then. 1, 0, 14, 0, 26, 12, 0, 1, 3 lmao. Probably shouldn't even be getting picked for WA.

I'd be relatively happy if we could have picked this team. Khawaja obviously wont be picked as he will probably be playing for Qld from this afternoon.

Khawaja
Warner
Smith
Bailey (On his last chance)
Head
Faulkner/Cartwright/Maxwell (Don't care who they pick as long as it isn't Marsh)
Wade
Starc
Cummins
Zampa
Hazelwood

Cummins should be playing this shield round imo but would still take him over those Victorian plodders.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
Well like I said they won't chop up the winning team, my point (although not clearly put) is that Head shouldn't have been in the XI to begin with. Not a lot separates the three of them tbh, 50 or not Head wasn't all that impressive. Finch and Bailey, while flawed, at least have experience and have several good knocks under their belt.

At 30 and 34 Finch and Bailey are the past. Head is 23 and a serious talent. Simple equation, IMO.

JJ

Immortal
At the end of the day I think we're in trouble here - we have a pretty depleted squad, a bowling attack that should normally do the business backed up by excellent fielding (what happened yesterday was abnormal). But the batting is completely reliant on Williamson and Guptil - strange to have Neesham at 4 (although he's talented, guess he's kind of a middle-class MMarsh) - with this lot it's probably Munro and de Grondhomme that should bat higher, but I imagine they want their hitting power late - Neesham has power too, but needs time to settle...

Australia (IMO) would be stronger with Maxwell and Faulkner in - not likely we win two straight, but I expect Williamson to go big in a game, and Guptill could well go on a tear - just hope it doesn't bring him back into test consideration. Southee is usuall the best late innings bowler, so if they're serious he should come in for Ferguson - but Boult's knee might need a rest...

vvvrulz

Coach
At 30 and 34 Finch and Bailey are the past. Head is 23 and a serious talent. Simple equation, IMO.

34 maybe, but why is 30 past it? This isn't tennis, Jayasuriya, Sachin and Sangakkara were still bringing it when they were touching 40. Not saying Finch is anywhere remotely in that class but 30 should be a cricketers prime time.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
34 maybe, but why is 30 past it? This isn't tennis, Jayasuriya, Sachin and Sangakkara were still bringing it when they were touching 40. Not saying Finch is anywhere remotely in that class but 30 should be a cricketers prime time.
Finch is one of the
Biggest myths in world cricket. He's everything wrong with international
Batsmen these days. And well Bailey is past it and with that stance is trying to make it even tougher on himself. We should move on from both of them IMO.

Head is the future and he has shown he is up to it the last few games.

Latest posts