What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ODI: Australia v New Zealand at Canberra on Dec 6, 2016

Iafeta

Referee
As I mentioned earlier losing Shane Bond was everything here, and how in the blue hell did Dimi Mascenaras get assigned as our bowling coach after him. I don't think it's a coincidence we forgot how to bowl right around then. Earlier to that Allan Donald had somehow turned Southee into one of the most dangerous bowlers of the 2011 WC.

I also question Craig McMillan as our batting coach, he wasn't exactly renowned for his nous and skill.

On Neesham, I don't mind him in the squad especially in the absence of Anderson, they're basically the same player. The problem is he's not a #4 at all, he and Williamson played the same type of innings when we desperately needed someone to attack from the other end. It was a good innings in general, but a poor one in the context.

The appointment of Dimitri Mascarenhas was abysmal. He came off the back of Allan Donald and Shane Bond. Those guys had their bowlers bowling with pace and late swing. They really improved Tim Southee getting through the crease and it made a heap of difference that he was accelerating into his follow through. Boults use of the front arm pulling through the action was noticeably better.

NZ need to bite the bullet and find a way for Shane Bond to be involved although head scratchingly I believe Jurgenson just secured a long term deal.

Meth

Staff member
NZ let themselves down in the two areas they're usually very good at - fielding and discipline. Bowlers were ordinary, but they got no backup and that can take its toll on a bowler as the game wears on.

Batting is a bit of a concern in the sense that we haven't replaced McCullum and Taylor missing really highlighted that we don't have anyone coming through demanding their spot.Latham is not an ODI opener, Neesham despite doing well isn't a 4, and Santer has no business batting in the top 7. Watling is even questionable as an ODI player, but at the moment is our best option.

I feel like our bowling, batting, fielding and our overall strategy was awful.....aside from those areas, we were really great.

Iafeta

Referee
Agree. Full credit to our new uniform makers and those in charge of gear and team travel. Represented with pride. I feel we may have beaten Australia in those aspects.

Otherwise not so good.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
your fielding was definitely below par, I dont recall a Kiwi team fielding that poorly

JJ

Immortal
Yeah, I really struggle to understand what's wrong with fielding. Williamson obviously feels he should be with the bowlers, but he should stay at gully - de Grondomme, Munro and Neesham are plodders in the field (Neesham has an excellent pair of hands) - the dropped catches were disappointing, but the ground fielding has been sluggish, from the back foot and making things far too easy for the Aussies. Guptill is one of the best fielders in the world, but has been anonymous - just weird all round

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think people are being a bit harsh on Neesham. Yeah it would have been nice if he could have batted like Guptill but he's just not as good, and the bowling was much better than what Head and Marsh faced. I thought he played really well in very tough circumstances.

Id criticise MS williamson more than Neesham tbh. i really feel smith would have risked going after head if the circumstances were reversed. williamson decided to just plod around and score a 50 on the flattest ground in the world

We often attack australia for being too aggressive but nz needed one of neesham or williamson to really go after the bowling or the run chase would be too difficult.