What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test - Australia v New Zealand Hobart Dec 9 - Dec 13 2011

IanG

Coach
For discussion on the 2nd Test starting in Hobart on Friday. Hope we get more of a contest this time. Suggestions Australia will likely go with the same XI but wonder if the Black Caps will make any changes.

typicalfan

Coach
Where is James Franklin. As much as I think his batting is very very VERY overrated, I would swap him for Young and get McCullum keeping. Someone to bolster the batting a little and bowling a bit.

I would be happy with no changes to us, give the kids a chance to impress i say.

African Monkey

First Grade
Where is James Franklin. As much as I think his batting is very very VERY overrated, I would swap him for Young and get McCullum keeping. Someone to bolster the batting a little and bowling a bit.

I would be happy with no changes to us, give the kids a chance to impress i say.

The current mob are all better than James Franklin. If he was to come into the side he would bat at 6 but Dean Brownlie had a good test match apart from his 2nd innings dismissal so he won't be getting dropped anytime soon. I would have him in the squad over BJ Watling though.

I can't see us making any changes.

typicalfan

Coach
The current mob are all better than James Franklin. If he was to come into the side he would bat at 6 but Dean Brownlie had a good test match apart from his 2nd innings dismissal so he won't be getting dropped anytime soon. I would have him in the squad over BJ Watling though.

I can't see us making any changes.
I didn't mention dropping Brownlie. It would be at the expense of Reece Young.

beads6

First Grade
What makes the kiwis think Kane Williamson is a number 3??? It is a tough position to bat and even though Williamson could be a good prospect surely at his age and experience level he is more suited to batting at 6.

African Monkey

First Grade
What makes the kiwis think Kane Williamson is a number 3??? It is a tough position to bat and even though Williamson could be a good prospect surely at his age and experience level he is more suited to batting at 6.
Yes he should never have been moved up to 3 in the first place. He scored plenty of runs at 6 but due to our top order being so weak, he was prematurely moved up to 3.

JJ

Immortal
Williamson is a long term #3... he had a poor test, and looked out of sorts... he's young, and playing Aust in Aust is the biggest occasion for us, and it looks like it's gotten to him... he's got character, so I'd expect him to be better in Hobart, but if not in a few years he'll have developed to being a very good test batsman...

To me the openers and the captain are bigger issues... Ryder also had an appalling test... I think Watling is the only other batsman on tour, and I am guessing Daniel Flynn is hurt... Watling seldom strengthen's any side he's in, so we're left with an unchanged lineup, unless they decide top play Boult... a bit of discipline wouldn't hurt, the Australian attack didn't ask too many questions, even Pattinson's excellent spell should probably only have resulted in 2 wickets (McCullum and Guptill) with a sensible and determined approach by the batters...

Overall, we were lame... we rolled over and beat ourselves, be disappointing if there's not more fight in Hobart, but I think Guptill and Taylor are fair-weather cricketers, and Ryder seems to be short of cricket...

shiznit

Coach
yeah... Williamson was a strange one... admittedly i haven't seen much cricket of the past year... but i scratched my head at his dismissal in the first innings...

he looked all at sea against that young spinner from oz.

dont get me wrong... im not knocking that young spinner... he looks the goods... but the last time i saw Williamson in a test he was hammering India's spinners in India.

the kid looks to have gone backwards... maybe he's had too much limited over stuff... im not sure

beads6

First Grade
He maybe a long term number 3 but that doesn't mean he should be batting 3 now. He hasn't really established himself as a test cricketer yet and he has been thrown to the wolves. Hopefully he has a better test in Hobart.

JJ

Immortal
He maybe a long term number 3 but that doesn't mean he should be batting 3 now. He hasn't really established himself as a test cricketer yet and he has been thrown to the wolves. Hopefully he has a better test in Hobart.

I think we all agree... but we really don't have another option... Taylor used to bat #3, but clearly isn't disciplined enough... I'd like to see Daniel Flynn back myself... but they won't be dropping Guptill, Taylor or Ryder in a hurry... Flynn would add some steel to the flabbiness we all just saw - he's no world beater, but he'll grind it out - apparently nobody else was prepared too...

the wolves are more in Williamson's head to be honest - your bowling attack wasn't all that impressive - Pattinson, Siddle and Lyon went ok, but obviously a committed batting lineup would have put decent scores together... Starc was pretty horrible...

Unfortunately for Australia, I don't think an easy series leading into a tough one does you any favours - if we roll over again, some in Aust will be convinced all their issues are resolved - I don't see an Indian or English batting lineup caving in like that... not to say you aren't a decent side, just in reality that was in ok performance by you, and aside from Vetorri, Martin and Brownlie, an absolutely appalling performance by us

Meth

Staff member

McCullum isn't keeping because McCullum doesn't want to keep and nobody has the balls to tell him to shut up and do what he's told. It's pretty clear he's the tail that wags the dog in the team.

blain

Juniors
Man that was shocking from us. Our 2 strongest parts of the team, batting and fielding, were sh*t.

There are no changes we can make/should make to the batting, its our best line up imo. So much potential there, but the mental side of it is what got to them. Dumb shot making. All we can hope is that they find out how to bat against a good test side for the next game.

Would add much more balance to have Maca keeping and Franko bat 7, but it wont happen.

JJ

Immortal
Man that was shocking from us. Our 2 strongest parts of the team, batting and fielding, were sh*t.

There are no changes we can make/should make to the batting, its our best line up imo. So much potential there, but the mental side of it is what got to them. Dumb shot making. All we can hope is that they find out how to bat against a good test side for the next game.

Would add much more balance to have Maca keeping and Franko bat 7, but it wont happen.

I don't think batting has been a strong point since we had Wright, Jones and Crowe at the top of the order... Agree it's pretty much our best line-up, it's hardly a strength... all show and no substance...

Bowling doesn't have enough teeth, but at least they can do a job... our batsmen can't reliably bat through a session

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
would have liked to have seen Cutting get a run, shame about his injury

this might be Starc's last chance for a while so lets hope he settles down and bit and bowls as well as he has done in first class cricket

Latest posts