What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd test: Bangladesh v New Zealand at Dhaka (SBNS) Oct 25-29 2008

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think the kiwis are buiding up nicely to this test

Am expecting a dominant performance from the baggy blacks

cheers

Spike

First Grade
I think the kiwis are buiding up nicely to this test

Am expecting a dominant performance from the baggy blacks

cheers

I'm expecting Vettori to drag the Kiwis across the line like an old mangy dog drags its worm riddled arse across the carpet.

Ridders

Coach
I'm hoping we can compete in the same way we did in the first. Although my gut is telling me that we may have already peaked in this series.

African Monkey

First Grade
Bangladesh v New Zealand, 2nd Test, Mirpur
Oram absence puts pressure on New Zealand
Cricinfo staff
October 24, 2008

Match facts
October 25-29 Start time 9.00am (0330 GMT)

Big Picture
The Chittagong Test was among the most hard-fought victories for New Zealand, a 'great character win' as coach John Bracewell put it. When Bangladesh lost 14 players to the ICL, including a few regulars in the national team, people feared a massive walkover for New Zealand in the two-Test and three-ODI series but there were more than a few surprises in store. On a slow turning track in Chittagong, New Zealand conceded a first-innings lead and were left chasing 317. Their captain, Daniel Vettori, almost single-handedly, steered them home by three wickets and broke many Bangladesh hearts. The highs of the victory were overshadowed by several holes in the batting performance and the news isn’t good for New Zealand ahead of the second Test starting tomorrow in Mirpur, having lost Jacob Oram to a back injury.

Vettori admitted Oram’s absence would be felt, but he was confident of a good show nevertheless. His team will have to gear up for another fight against a team which has shown the same self belief which carried them to the Super Eights in the World Cup last year. Bangladesh’s batsmen were uncharacteristically defensive in Chittagong but that strategy worked in frustrating New Zealand. Their lower middle order, led by Shakib Al Hasan, put a price on their wickets and dragged the Test till the fifth day, a rarity for Bangladesh.

Form guide
(Last five matches, most recent last)

Bangladesh LLLLL
New Zealand LDLLW

Players to watch

Abdur Razzak: Shakib stood out for the hosts with his first-innings figures of 7-36 and a gritty 71 in the second, but Razzak was equally impressive with the ball and did most of the damage during the chase. His 3 for 93, from 50 nagging overs, included the wickets Vettori, Jamie How and Daniel Flynn. With all the attention turned towards the surprise package, Shakib, Razzak could sneak up on New Zealand again.
Daniel Vettori:New Zealand scraped through in the first Test by three wickets largely due to a Man-of-the-Match performance from Vettori with both bat and ball. He took nine wickets and scored two half-centuries: his 76 in the second innings played a crucial part in New Zealand's victory. After taking 20 wickets on his previous tour of Bangladesh, in 2004, Vettori remains the home side's biggest needle.

Team news
Oram’s departure has forced a change and his place could go to Grant Elliott, the allrounder who made his debut against England in Napier earlier this year. Coincidentally, he replaced Oram in that Test too.

New Zealand 1 Aaron Redmond, 2 Jamie How, 3 Jesse Ryder, 4 Ross Taylor, 5 Brendon McCullum (wk), 6 Daniel Flynn, 7 Grant Elliott, 8 Daniel Vettori (capt), 9 Kyle Mills, 9 Iain O'Brien, 11 Jeetan Patel.
Bangladesh have kept the same 12 from the first Test. Bangladesh's chief selector,Rafiqul Alam, said they would make a change to the XI which pushed New Zealand close in Chittagong "only if the situation demands".
Bangladesh 1 Tamim Iqbal, 2 Junaid Siddique, 3 Rajin Saleh, 4 Mohammad Ashraful (capt), 5 Naeem Islam, 6 Mehrab Hossain jnr, 7 Shakib Al Hasan, 8 Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), 9 Mashrafe Moratza, 10 Abdur Razzak, 11 Shahadat Hossain

Pitch and conditions
The head groundsman at the Shere Bangla National Stadium, Shafiul Alam Belal, reckoned this would be a better batting pitch than the one at Chittagong. Vettori felt the pitch would be at its best for batting on the second day for but expected it to assist the spinners from the third onwards. Mohammad Ashraful felt it would flatten out as the game progressed.

Therefore, batting last may not be the best option. Unfortunately, the weather hasn’t been too kind. Intermittent rain forced practice sessions to be cancelled and isolated showers are predicted through the Test.

Stats and trivia
Vettori became the first player to score at least a half-century and take four wickets in two innings of a Test.

Vettori's all-round performance in Chittagong overshadowed that of Shakib's, whose 7 for 36 - the best bowling figures by a Bangladesh player - and second-innings 71 were both career-highs.

Quotes
"Oram is probably our most important player because of the role he offers, being our third seamer and one of our best batsmen, so when he is out it makes it more difficult."
Vettori admits New Zealand will have to perform a notch higher now with Oram out of the equation
"Pressure is always there. Team-wise we have done well, both in the one-dayers and the Test, so we must keep the good work and put up our best effort."
Ashraful hopes for a repeat performance and perhaps a little more intensity
© Cricinfo

ozbash

Referee
Man of the moment Daniel Vettori has brushed away the prospect of remaining at No 4 to break up the flash Harrys at the top of New Zealand's batting order.

In Dhaka last night Vettori said he would move back to the lower order at the start of the second test against Bangladesh in typically dry, hot conditions today.
New Zealand have made a forced change, with Jacob Oram out of the tour with a back injury and replaced in the test lineup by Wellington all-rounder Grant Elliott.
But Vettori is back to No 7 or No 8 despite his two half-centuries in the first-test win, saying he had belief in his explosive top order of Jesse Ryder, Ross Taylor and Brendon McCullum to deliver.
It seems Vettori is prepared to sit through a little short-term pain for what he predicted would be long-term gain with his high-tempo trio batting in succession.
"I really think those three guys are exceptionally talented and have the potential to form a great middle order for the New Zealand side," he said.
"Given the tempo they play, you think about [splitting them up with] a Daniel Flynn and I know Peter Fulton has come back into some form, but at this stage it is my preference for those three guys to continue for as long as possible. If it doesn't work out, you can re-evaluate things."
Nevertheless, Vettori is demanding more application from all his batsmen today, saying he wants to bat the locals out of the game to avoid another difficult arm-wrestle.
"It is really important we try and win the game in the first innings," he said. "I want us to start off better than we did, particularly with the bat, and the good thing is we've learned a lot about their bowlers and the conditions to bat in."
He called conditions in Dhaka as hot as anything he had experienced. But he denied that energy levels might be tested after an exhausting first test, especially his own - he was on the field for all but three hours.
"I'm not feeling too bad," he said. "The guys have pretty much recovered so I'm hoping it's not going to play a big part. It's just what you come across in Bangladesh or anywhere on the subcontinent."
Bangladesh's Australian coach, Jamie Siddons, felt the second-test pitch would have a few nasty tricks in it but Vettori has viewed it and doesn't agree.
"We've come to learn not to listen too much to what Jamie says. The wickets looks pretty similar to what we played on in the one-dayers. I think it will start to crumble as the test goes on but it's a wicket that should suit us more than them."
Vettori was disappointed to lose a player of Oram's calibre and admitted there were concerns about his future as a full-blooded all-rounder after what could potentially be another stress fracture in his lower back.
"I'd hate to see him give up the all-round nature of the game, but it is definitely something he will look at if it continues to frustrate him.
"He has the ability to get over it, but sometimes if you rehab something five or six times the motivation starts to disappear."
Meanwhile, a southern hemisphere Twenty20 competition came a step closer yesterday with confirmation that a tournament for teams from Australia, New Zealand and South Africa would be staged by 2011.
The event will have city-based but regional franchises in an eastern conference from Australia and New Zealand and a western conference in South Africa.
New Zealand Cricket chief executive Justin Vaughan said yesterday: "It is expected they will be along the lines of Super rugby regional franchises, with the respective countries' leading players taking part, plus some international stars."

www.stuff.co.nz

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
From the nzcricket web site:

Grant Elliott will play his Second Test when the BLACKCAPS meet Bangladesh in the second of their two match series in Dacca, starting this afternoon (NZT).
Elliott comes in for the injured Jacob Oram. It was Oram that Elliott replaced when he made his debut against England earlier this year. This is the only change in the BLACKCAPS side that won the First Test.
The team is:

Daniel Vettori ( c )
Aaron Redmond
Jamie How
Jesse Ryder
Ross Taylor
Brendon McCullum
Daniel Flynn
Grant Elliott
Kyle Mills
Jeetan Patel
Iain O’Brien