What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: India v Australia at Hyderabad (Deccan) Mar 2-6, 2013

TheParraboy

Staff member
I know first tes is still going on, but seriously will be over within 2 seconds tomorrow
This 2nd test starts on Saturday. Desperate times call for desperate measures

Cowan
Warner
Khawaja
Clarke
Henriques
Smith
Wade
Pattinson
Siddle
Johnson
Bird

The above is assuming Sunshine is unavailable and Hughes/Starc are dropped

Pointless playing Lyon. Warner/Clarke/Smith to roll the arm over at times

If 2 or 3 of our pacemen fire we will be fine. We only had Patto aim up in the first test

BDR

First Grade
I don't think the batting needs too much adjusting to be honest. Both innings were respectable totals IMO.

Bowling on the other hand...

TheParraboy

Staff member
on ch10 sports tonight, they said Bird is being send back home , back problems

Surely SOK is his replacement????

Earl

Coach
1. Ed Cowan
2. David Warner
3. Michael Clarke (FFS Clarke just but at 3 you wanker)
4. Shane Watson
5. Usman Khawaja
6. Moises Henriques
7. Matthew Wade
8. Peter Siddle
9. James Pattinson
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Xavier Doherty

Thats probably the best suited team for the 2nd test we can name from our squad.

Unfortunately the selectors will find room for Glenn Maxwell, Philip Hughes and Mitchell Johnson

They will find a scapegoat to blame for this performance too. I'm thinking Cowan is probably first in line.

vvvrulz

Coach
1. Ed Cowan
2. David Warner
3. Michael Clarke (FFS Clarke just but at 3 you wanker)
4. Shane Watson
5. Usman Khawaja
6. Moises Henriques
7. Matthew Wade
8. Peter Siddle
9. James Pattinson
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Xavier Doherty

Thats probably the best suited team for the 2nd test we can name from our squad.

Unfortunately the selectors will find room for Glenn Maxwell, Philip Hughes and Mitchell Johnson

They will find a scapegoat to blame for this performance too. I'm thinking Cowan is probably first in line.

I'd give Steve Smith a shot, given how harmless Doherty and Lyon are might as well take a punt. He can bat a bit too at least.

But you are absolutely right and Sh*tchell, c.Guptill b.Martin and No Show will find themselves in the squad and Wade will probably continue at #6.

Earl

Coach
As far as I'm concerned Steve Smith is on this tour as reserve batsmen.

His bowling this season has been appalling and isn't up to grade standard IMO.

David Warner and Michael Clarke are far better spin bowling options.

The games I have seen Smith bowl in this year its absolutely incredible he has a 7 wicket haul to his name in FC cricket.

Rosetta

Juniors
Watson
Warner
Clarke
Haddin
Hughes
Henriques
Wade
Pattinson
Starc
O'Keefe
Hauritz

All of them can bat and we now have 2 accurate spin options, perfect for a goat track.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Watson
Warner
Hughes
Smith
Clarke
Henriques
Scissorhands
Maxwell
Johnson
Pattinson
Doherty

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Sids will need a rest

he'll no doubt put his feet up and have a cup of tea and watch the game

undertaker

Coach
If the Aussies thought conditions in Chennai were stifling, Hyderabad's going to be in the mid-30s next week. It's going to be a very long day in the field for our boys if we don't learn from our mistakes in this test.

undertaker

Coach
As far as I'm concerned Steve Smith is on this tour as reserve batsmen.

His bowling this season has been appalling and isn't up to grade standard IMO.

David Warner and Michael Clarke are far better spin bowling options.

The games I have seen Smith bowl in this year its absolutely incredible he has a 7 wicket haul to his name in FC cricket.

Steve Smith is NOT a test player, end of story. When are the selectors going to learn from the errors of the past?

simmo1

First Grade
Only change should be Doherty for one of the quicks (most likely Siddle). Mass changes never work.

HevyDevy

Coach
Watson
Warner
Clarke
Haddin
Hughes
Henriques
Wade
Pattinson
Starc
O'Keefe
Hauritz

All of them can bat and we now have 2 accurate spin options, perfect for a goat track.

Again I have to ask, if Haddin is in the side what is Wade doing there?

RHCP

Bench
Hughes collects 6 & 0, Watson 28 & 17, Wade 12 & 8, Cowan 29 & 32. Of course Wade receives a stay of execution because we have no back up keeper, but if there is a problem in the top six that dropping a player will fix, why are so many sure it is Cowan? I don't see the rationale. Watto got his chance to open and he did worse than he did at 4.

Promote Henriques to six and that's the best six batsmen from the touring side that we can field imo. Maybe Usman could slide in there somewhere but I don't think it should be at the expense of Cowan (yet). The Indian conditions are different to those the team have been accustomed to playing in Australia - they all deserve at least one more shot before we throw the baby out with the bathwater.

beads6

First Grade
Why are people bothering naming a side with Haddin and O'Keefe in it? They aren't in India.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Yep, let's make snap decisions based on performances in a single test. Hughes has 2 80s in his 4 tests since returning. He'll get the rest of this series at least. Wade has 2 60s and a not out ton in his last 5 tests. Watson should be the one most under pressure, with only one score of 83 in 4 tests since he came back into the team. Cowan would be next, with only 2 50s in 6 tests since his ton in Brisbane. Personally, I'd give all 4 the rest of the series, then make a decision on whether they've earnt a ticket to England or not.

I'd persevere with Starc as well. And frankly, since Bird has gone home and the likely replacement would be Maxwell, I'd stick with Sids as well.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
I'm rehashing this article because Heals words are so apt..

Scissorhands says he is still young & wants to keep improving,but the fact is he isn't improving..If it is possible for him to be getting worse,then that is what's happening..

And he has been promoted to 6 for an Indian tour,but he clearly has NFI against spinners on a deck that suits them..:crazy:

Getting out twice to ugly sweep shots was embarrassing for him..and the country..

I've posted it many times before,but i'm convinced Wade is cross-eyed..

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-sri-lanka-2012/content/story/600442.html

Healy slams Wade over glovework..

Brydon Coverdale January 11, 2013

Ian Healy has slammed Matthew Wade's wicketkeeping during the Test summer and said Australia needed to choose their best gloveman for the upcoming tours of India and England. Healy, who watched from the commentary box as Wade kept wicket for his first home summer, was disappointed not only with the way Wade missed opportunities for stumpings and catches, but also what he perceived as a lack of discipline in getting the basics right.

"He's not happy at all. He didn't have a good summer with the gloves at all," Healy told Radio Sport National on Friday. "Even some of the basic stuff that he's not tidying up, he's not getting to the stumps, he's not taking returns well, he's not sharpening up the fielding effort. Even those basic disciplines weren't being created, let alone missed dismissals.

"Nathan Lyon wouldn't have been that happy, there were four or five chances missed from his bowling. He's getting criticised for not taking wickets. These are all the little internal conflicts of an under-achieving wicketkeeper. Matthew Wade says he's still young and he wants to keep improving, but I don't think he's that young. He's 25.

"If he is keeping for Australia, these sort of things have to be done, and they have to be done better. We're playing against Sri Lanka, it's not as if we're playing against South Africa or England for five Tests [where] we need everything taken. He needs to really get a look at what Brad Haddin is doing and try to find a way to get it done himself."

Healy's strong words came as Wade was at home resting from the first two one-day internationals against Sri Lanka, having played more matches for Australia over the past year in all formats than anyone except David Warner. John Inverarity's selection panel is so keen on Wade as a Test player that he even batted at No.6 during the third Test against Sri Lanka in Sydney, and scored an unbeaten century.

That was a position that not even the great Adam Gilchrist occupied on a regular basis during his days in the Test side. Healy is widely regarded as the best of Australia's modern glovemen, while his replacement Gilchrist performed adequately behind the stumps and was brilliant with the bat. Healy said during Gilchrist's time, when Australia had bowlers like Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath, they could afford to play a wicketkeeper whose batting was his stronger suit, but not anymore.

"What Adam Gilchrist had was a relevance to his team," Healy said. "He was appropriate to the team. He had a team with a great bowling attack that created more chances than you needed. We haven't got an attack like that now. We've got an attack that if you need 20 wickets in a Test, they might create 18 and you'd better take a half-chance here or there or a great run-out and you might get over the line.

"That's where you don't need a wicketkeeper missing stuff. Right now Australian cricket in the Test form initially needs the best wicketkeeper. We need to find out who that is, and someone who is not making mistakes."

Healy said he could not understand why the selectors had chosen Wade ahead of Brad Haddin at the start of this summer. However, he also said that he believed Queensland's Chris Hartley, 30, was the best pure gloveman in the country but that he was unlikely to earn an opportunity at international level with Wade, Haddin and Tim Paine all ahead of him in the queue.

"I don't understand why they dropped [Haddin] and it's never been explained to me or the public after the West Indies," Healy said. "He wasn't in great form [and] he had to go home and look after his ill daughter. Then when he gets that right and he's ready to play again, he's not picked. I thought that was a bit harsh.

"Tim Paine can emerge without being picked for Australia. Chris Hartley must be sitting in Queensland thinking I'm gone here, even though he's probably the best keeper of the lot. You talk to the players and they say that all the time. He's missed out I'd say. He's 30 and there's three being talked before him."