What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-2-1 someone's gotta do it..

Blair

Coach
3. Mann
2. Mase
1. Ata.

Something needs to give. The sale of the club is probably the best break for us all. As long as the new majority owner isn't tight with Mooks.

I do feel for Kearney. It shouldn't have been this bad. He could've at least had a squad that cared.

Matulino was excellent today but what's the point? He was asleep for two years and had a 'sinking ship' attitude when it mattered not to.

JJ

Immortal
3. Matulino
2. Lino
1. Hingano

Lillyman and Mannering good too

Blair

Coach
3. Matulino
2. Lino
1. Hingano

Lillyman and Mannering good too

Yes. I noticed Lillyman was bending the line again today. Like Matulino, there's that extra two-three metres once contact is made. Water under the bridge but.

Warriorsoul

Juniors
3 - Mannering
2 - Hingano
1- Matulino

Lisone was fired up a couple of times, but I can't get past the fact that our first few hit ups are invariably made by our backs. I know Ken had another indifferent game, but I feel for the guy, he's doing the job of a forward half the time. When Kata went off, there was five minutes or so when noone knew wtf was going on, Lillyman was defending in the center role, it was just a shambles

Rich102

Staff member
3. Hingano
2. Lino
1 Roache.

Wasn't it good to see the attack not all coming from one person?

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I love Bully. He's one of my favourite all time players.

But we look so much better with Roache at dummy half.

Ata looked really dangerous today and seems to complement lino pretty well. I'd like to keep that combo going.

3. Roache
2. Hingano
1. Lino

Forward pack needs to be nuked and rebuilt

TheDMC

Bench
3. Matulino
2. Ata
1. Roache

For my clean out list:

See ya later Hoffman, Luke, Afoa, Lisone, Vete, Gubb, Thompson

And Kata and Maumolo,

With Matulino (shame he is off) and Foran out..

that's 11 first graders gone, which for a clean out, is probably about right.

Might be a bit harsh on Kata and Maumolo but I want different style players in the backs - athleticism, speed, and some defensive smarts.

Also seeya Kearney - cause he can't coach basic defence, which was the main thing he needed to improve, and meanwhile has killed our attack.

Two, maybe three years ago I said on here somewhere that the player I most wanted to come to the warriors was Luke, as I thought he would be a game changer for helping get forward dominance. Was so stoked when we suddenly snaffled him. But he has been awful most of the time and his terribly slow dummy half service just makes our forwards even worse. I don't want to watch him play anymore.

3. Roache
2. Hingano
1. Lino
Promising talent that won't develop under current coach.
Maumalo had to be dropped for CNK. But know that I am dreaming.
Not sure who could replace Kata, but dam they make good turn styles in defense.

vvvrulz

Coach
3. Hingano
2. Mutts
1. Lino

A few guys tried; Lillyman, Fus, Roache

-3 Lisone
-2 Luke

-50 Hoffman

ozbash

Referee
that's 11 first graders gone, which for a clean out, is probably about right.

I'd say it's dead right... some of the 11 give it a crack (Ken Kata Lilly) but are either past it or lacking the skills.

I'd love to see our full strength ISP side play our full strength NRL side.. reckon ISP would flog them.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I kinda get why people are praising Ata and Mason- Mason has an excellent short kicking game and isn't afraid to get tackled, Ata I reckon is a decent all-round talent.

However, switching out Shaun for Mason/Ata or both literally takes us from being an average team to a team who will never win another game.

I get praising inexperienced players for performing well relative to expectations but I feel like you're missing the wood for the trees if you think it's been "refreshing" to have Mason in the team instead of Shaun. I've seen so many comments like this on forums, FB etc.

Swap Shaun for Mason and we become the worst team in the comp. Let's be real.

Rich102

Staff member
I think the point is that the halves weren't the problem Sunday.
Again the forwards failed to fire.
This despite Mannering being great and Roache being better than Luke.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
By the end of this season we will have lost 16 consecutive games without Johnson following his injuries in 2015 and 2017. 0-16. When switching halfbacks makes you lose 16 straight and when you can at least win the odd game with your first-choice half, you have to ask whether the incoming halves are of the required standard.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
By the end of this season we will have lost 16 consecutive games without Johnson following his injuries in 2015 and 2017. 0-16. When switching halfbacks makes you lose 16 straight and when you can at least win the odd game with your first-choice half, you have to ask whether the incoming halves are of the required standard.

Or you can ask yourself whether the constant criticism Johnson cops is in fact justified, or whether it' more a case of his talent making an otherwise terrible team look half decent some of the time. Remember what used to happen at Newcastle if Johns went down?

JJ

Immortal
Not sure anyone is saying replace Johnson? I for one certainly think we should finish the season without Foran and no point risking Johnson - good to see these kids develop, they are ok-ish - unless something changes one of them will partner Johnson next year?

Also thought the forwards weren't that much of a problem - Canberra are a huge pack - The attack was ok too, it was just the ridiculous defence, winger's rushing in, putting a prop in the centres, and whatever Hoffman tried to do

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Or you can ask yourself whether the constant criticism Johnson cops is in fact justified, or whether it' more a case of his talent making an otherwise terrible team look half decent some of the time. Remember what used to happen at Newcastle if Johns went down?

Yeah I actually sort of pressed "Post" there before really clarifying my point, which was "either the replacements suck or the incumbent is so good that he makes a terrible team look somewhat competitive".

Sorry I kinda came outta nowhere with this, it's just a recurring thread I see a lot in various places and it bothers me. The Warriors drop off more without Johnson than any team in the comp without one player, even more than the Cowboys without JT. However, I very rarely see it acknowledged that either Johnson is by far our most effective and productive player OR our replacements suck. It really has to be at least one of these to explain the catastrophic, we aren't even NRL standard anymore drop-off we have without him.