What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-2-1 vs Titans

Blair

Coach
3. Lawton - when it was competitive he scored a great try from dummy-half but also made several excellent covering tackles.
2. Johnson - the stock-standard SJ, brillliant then missing when the forwards get dominated.
1. Pulu - welcome back. He'll only get better too. He made one or two rusty mistakes but.

vvvrulz

Coach
3. SJ - The only one playing at his standard
2. Pulu - Strong comeback, good signs
1. Lawton - Not a great player but he really tried

Tevaga is the only other one who works his butt off but he just makes way too many mistakes to cut it.

Just about everyone else including Mannering ranged from tired to just piss poor.

hitro

Juniors
pretty hard to say anyone had a great game, need Isaac Luke so bad for this season and next. Need to get creative to find room for him in the salary cap.

Meth

Staff member
3- Papali'i
2- Pulu
1- Johnson

HM- Lawton, I suppose. vvrulz's description is pretty apt tbh

Kata was rubbish. Green was rubbish. Tevaga was rubbish.

JJ

Immortal
Not sure I can give pts but at 19 there's so much to like about Papali'i, not since Matulino has a youngster looked so assured

Meth

Staff member
Not sure I can give pts but at 19 there's so much to like about Papali'i, not since Matulino has a youngster looked so assured

if you can find 2-3 players that turned up today, give them points...because a dozen or so blokes didn't.

JJ

Immortal
Hmmmm

3. Papali'i
2. Vuna
1. Johnson

The kids tried hard IMO

Last edited:

sup42

Juniors
Hmmmm

3. Papali'i
2. Vuna
1. Johnson

The kids tried hard IMO
That's a fair call....those two kids are teenagers....they put their counter parts to shame.

The Warriors need to be very careful with how they use players like Papalii and Vuna.

They try hard..but it is tough to be 18 or 19 and playing against men, you get a hiding in every game, it can be demoralizing and it is certainly hard on the body....because men are stronger, and they know how to physically hurt and dominate big young boys.

Pushing through pain is something that takes time to adjust to, some kids get broken too soon and never get there.

Vuna ran hard I noticed, Papalii struggles in the ruck...but that is a wrestling thing that again takes more than a hand full of high school and club games to develop.

When you think of teenagers that burst onto the scene they tend to be backs not forwards.

The other issue is the fitness part...and again if you are talking a forward that takes years of careful management to develop at the top level.

Sometimes I think we have too high expectations of these kids.

Last edited:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I fully understand people being impressed by Vuna and especially by Papali'i, given their youth. Papali'i in particular has just always looked like a solid first grader despite sort of coming from nowhere at age 18.

However having said that, neither of them has shown a great deal on attack so far. Papali'i in particular struggles to get over the advantage line and tbh on an uncharitable assessment he might be considered a bit of a plodder.

Nothing against plodders (Michael Luck anyone?) but I felt like the lack of attacking threat from a Papali'i/Mannering/Vuna backrow was one of the issues yesterday. It's not the most balanced.

It's interesting, with all of the big, fast kids you hear about in NZ rugby league, the Warriors seem to be gravitating towards the less athletically gifted ones? Maybe not a bad thing, preferring attitude and work rate etc

JJ

Immortal
That's a fair call....those two kids are teenagers....they put their counter parts to shame.

The Warriors need to be very careful with how they use players like Papalii and Vuna.

They try hard..but it is tough to be 18 or 19 and playing against men, you get a hiding in every game, it can be demoralizing and it is certainly hard on the body....because men are stronger, and they know how to physically hurt and dominate big young boys.

Pushing through pain is something that takes time to adjust to, some kids get broken too soon and never get there.

Vuna ran hard I noticed, Papalii struggles in the ruck...but that is a wrestling thing that again takes more than a hand full of high school and club games to develop.

When you think of teenagers that burst onto the scene they tend to be backs not forwards.

The other issue is the fitness part...and again if you are talking a forward that takes years of careful management to develop at the top level.

Sometimes I think we have too high expectations of these kids.
Great post - they both have very good futures, but agree need to be careful with them only have to look at how the Dragons older quality pack seems to be a bit drained at the moment - Papali'i's been good all year, really like him, and his game will develop with good coaching - I'm no Kearney fan but he certainly should be able to help a young back rower!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It’s certainly not that NZ isn’t producing big, athletic guys. I was musing about the evolution of Rugby Union locks the other day when watching the Super Rugby, back in the day they either used to be tall skinny lineout jumpers or big plodding oxes, now you’ve got these near 2m tall, 120kg wrecking balls who get around the park like blindside flankers, those guys are weapons.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
It’s certainly not that NZ isn’t producing big, athletic guys. I was musing about the evolution of Rugby Union locks the other day when watching the Super Rugby, back in the day they either used to be tall skinny lineout jumpers or big plodding oxes, now you’ve got these near 2m tall, 120kg wrecking balls who get around the park like blindside flankers, those guys are weapons.
The Storm wont you to shoosh right now because thats how they got NAS. NAS is one of those you speak of. You just revealed their secret resource - New Zealand.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I actually thought of NAS just as I posted but couldn’t be bothered editing it. Gotta wonder if Sam Lousi could’ve been our NAS if he’d been better managed, he’s certainly going alright at the ‘Canes.

Big Marn

Juniors
Never saw the game as at work. Probably just as well as the men in white coats would have probably turned up because of all the yelling....

3. the guy who rang up radio sport yesterday while I was driving to work and absolutely gave it to the warriors. Didnt have a conversation with the host. Just said BOO! about 10 times and a few other choice descriptions but managed to keep from swearing (which was quite admirable).
2. the guy who had the confidence in the warriors at halftime to put $30,000 on the nose on the Aussie TAB. Dude...
1. The Roosters. Thanks very much for giving the Dragons a hiding..... Any chance of sneaking in and out of Sydney with a W just took a huge dive.

Meth

Staff member
Congratulations Shaun Johnson

Johnson 19
Papali'i 12
Pulu 7

Lawton 5
Vuna 2

8 voted