What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30 less tries in 2017

Southern Shark

Juniors
In our most memorable year of 2016 Barba returned 18 try assists and Ennis 12. That is 30 tries created by those two who have left. Holmes created 2 and our hookers stand at zero. Next best is Beale with 9 apart from the halves which both do ok. The top four sides all have creative players at the spine ranging between 9 and 20 try assists in the big 4 positions. We are down to two with no real creativeness at 1 and 9. It makes us easy to defend like Wigan found out. If Holmes can't modify his game we will have a Dugan situation develop where he does score but everyone around him doesn't.

YTSharks

Juniors
In our most memorable year of 2016 Barba returned 18 try assists and Ennis 12. That is 30 tries created by those two who have left. Holmes created 2 and our hookers stand at zero. Next best is Beale with 9 apart from the halves which both do ok. The top four sides all have creative players at the spine ranging between 9 and 20 try assists in the big 4 positions. We are down to two with no real creativeness at 1 and 9. It makes us easy to defend like Wigan found out. If Holmes can't modify his game we will have a Dugan situation develop where he does score but everyone around him doesn't.
Brailey led the NYC in assists

bluefox1968

Juniors
I agree that our attack will be different. How we adjust to the loss of Ennis and Barba will decide our season - that is obvious.

It's just not as simple as saying '30 less tries'.

Holmes MAY thrive at fullback, but it's likely he'll take a little time to get used to the role.

Edrick Lee CAN be an excitement machine - so it'll be interesting to see if we come up trumps with him.

i'm genuinely excited about Brailey. His fast and clean service from dummy half was awesome to watch - very different from Ennis, who tended to take a step first. His defence seems first-rate, which is what we were hearing from the under-20s 'watchers'. I think he'll be great from the word 'go'.

I think Brailey will give our halves more time with the ball and more space.

We have the same centres and wingers, at least quality-wise. Our forward pack has more depth.

And, we still have Maloney...

I think we'll go okay...

SadShark

Bench
Dr. Greg Burns: [ outraged ] Gentlemen! This cannot continue! We have important work to do here! I'm going to have to demand.....that you guys have a Best of 3 Zing/Burn Off, with the winner declared Zingmaster.

Eion

First Grade
Point taken Southern that we lose a lot with barba and ennis gone. But I'm not sure about comparing try assists of full time fullbacks and hookers to ones who have not played, or played on the wing where 2 try assists is about right.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Jimmy is the key, if we lose him for any time we will struggle, he knows how to win, and leads the team around, yes the forwards make ground but Jimmy is the key to the team.

Paulo could be interesting for us this year, if he gets time on the field he is ball player, who now 2nd year in at club could prove to another strike weapon for us.

kal83

Juniors
Yes it's going to be hard to replace them but the reality is we have to replace as they don't play for the club anymore. Brailey looks the goods and we will be getting games into him earlier than expected and that can only be a good thing down the line. Same for Valentine playing fullback a year earlier. We still have one of the strongest forward packs and our backline is still pretty good albeit a different make up.

I'm happy to just wait and see. I thought Ennis was a dud signing and look how that worked out.

Weaponhead

Coach
Understand the point but this analysis is majorly flawed.

Replacing 50% of the spine is a risk.

Comparing Holmes try assists as a winger and Barba's as fullback isn't a true comparison. Holmes will have a learning curve no doubt but the tools are there for him to be effective. He has the speed, evasion and instincts to be a real threat. His passing and defensive positioning will develop. Brailey is less of a known quantity at this level. However, at this point they are the best options available. Maloney and Chad will need to step up further.

Lee provides a target for attacking kicks that we haven't had previously as Feki can't catch.

One of the interesting elements of this season will be how Flange evolves the team to stay in the mix.

snout

First Grade
Im going into this with low expectations.

Our squad is weaker. Fact.

Plus we won it - so is there that drive and desire to go to the well again.

Also we dont win it last year without the trinity of ennis, jimmy and benny. And two of them are gone.

Chads good but not dangerous enough.

Im cool with the fact we dont go back to back.

taipan

Referee
Tactition Taipan.
Ground will be slow and soft.Crowd will be vocal, delirious and some full of hit and miss.
Our backs and attack weakened due to obvious reasons..
Play it through the forwards,have Heino,Lewie,Graham,Fif and Gal punching through the Donkey's backs, tire them with the tackling and gnawing at their inexperience.
Then let our halves combine to do the rest in their quarter.High corner kicks for Lee to out jump the oppo.

Ensure fullback selected always has an assist when Broncs kick.Don't leave him stranded, without Val attack from the back is not as potent or dangerous.
If it's Beale ,please God has he learnt to tackle when it's absolutely necessary?

Do not provide this confidential tactical info to Dilll Flufffield ,the Telecrap will be melting mode with such a scoop.

Arnold

Juniors
Surely you aren't suggesting we will be 30 try assist worse off?

We could convert all 30, maybe 20 maybe 10 but convert others that we missed last year, remember Holmes bombing 3 in one game? Didn't barba drop one over the try line against the dogs?

Moral of the post - relax and play some footy we won a comp!!!

snout

First Grade
Not that bad with Jimmy...but we will struggle to run up the scores we did last year.

BB is irreplaceable.

He took a lot of pressure off Chad.

shaggs

Coach
When do I start to panic.
I mean it's 24 hours before round 1. I'm worried I missed it.

Just let the premiers play. Each week they can improve. Some weeks they might suck.

You don't win the competition on the second of march. Some of you merkins need to reassess about round 16.

southland

Juniors
A lot of what Maloney did well came from what Ennis created around the ruck. Speed. Hesitation for the defending line etc. It will be very interesting to see if Brailey can deliver fast service but also begin to play what he sees and start to create some options.