What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd ODI: Australia v England at SCG on Jan 21, 2018

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Apparently Australia has lost 10 of its last 11 ODI's. Had no idea about that tbh.

It's been weird watching Australia this series because the difference in the two teams have been the last 10 overs.

So used to seeing Australia belt teams out of the game or choke them in a chase during the last 10. They've completely lost the ability to finish.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Farcical bowling (so many bouncers) plus a middle order that wants to go at snails pace is part to blame for this awful performance during these ODIs. That's not to discredit England, they have been head and shoulders above us in every facet of the game.

some11

Referee
Schooled in all three games by a better team.

Watching Smith play limited overs is painful.

Tommy Smith

Referee
That's certainly comparable to a bloke striking at 90.

Absolute pelican
Poor Timothy couldn't hit a 6 off of Mark Ealham in stick cricket.

Australia need to bring in Mark Cosgrove and the great Mark Higgs for some pie eating lever action.

Screenshot_20180121-225854.jpg
Screenshot_20180121-225733.jpg

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I wonder if someone will remind Slats and Healey that;

Roy,
Hales,
Morgan (c),
Butler,
Rashid,
Plunkett, and
Wood,

did not play in the Ashes nor were they in the touring party. (And that Root is not the captain. Although they've started to work this out by the end of this last game).

I don't mind ch 9 reminding us who won the Ashes every time Aus is losing in an odi game. But it'd be nice if they remembered which players played and got beat. Just cos Aus largely puts their test team out for odi matches, doesn't mean the opposition do too.

Curiously Aussie's best odi performers on this series have been Finch and Stoinis, non Ashes players.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
When did a soft decision by the umpire become something that the technology had to over turn?

I don't know if the process is exactly the same as Rugby League, or how it differs. But I've always hated the process in Rugby League, as it is. If the referee got a good enough look at it to make a reasonable decision, make a call and the TMO needs to come up with something compelling enough to overturn it. If he didn't, say so (rather than guessing) and let the TMO adjudicate based on their superior vantage point, rather than being bound in any way by a guess.

Last night, the umpire should have been able to say 'geez, that's a close one. And a crucial one. Let's go to the third umpire to make sure we get it right'. And anyway, in any case, the third umpire should have overruled the onfield umpire based on what he was looking at.

I like it when an official backs themselves and makes a decision. And I don't want to see technology take over the game, so I'll happily accept a margin for error. But if the technology is there to prevent the howler, then it shouldn't by stymied by onfield guesses.

JJ

Immortal
The fact that third umpires can't get things right is the issue IMO - and this was hardly the worst we've seen in the last few years.

LOL at people calling Buttler a cheat - again, we've seen much worse

England at the moment are a far better ODI side, they'll be looking forward to match ups with other more competent and tactically sophisticated ODI sides

Latest posts