What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: Australia v Sri Lanka at Sydney Jan 3 - 7, 2013

undertaker

Coach
That was the best test match of the summer tbh, very enjoyable contest. SCG pitch was surpisingly good for cricket, having generally been rubbish this season. Herath bowled really well today, shame the Lankans gave him no runs to work with much of the series.

Loved Hussey talking up the SCG as well. great cricket ground

Agreed.

This wasn't only the best test of the summer, but also the best pitch as well. Although Adelaide Oval has always been a flat track and the MCG has been using drop-in pitches for 2 decades now, the Gabba and WACA pitches were very disappointing this summer. If only there were more test pitches like the SCG...However, I'm unlikely to hold up hopes anytime soon that the situation will change in India. After the Mumbai test in 2004, flat pitches have been an epidemic over India as the BCCI get a guaranteed 5 days = more advertising revenue (as they get paid on a per day basis)

One wish: If Sri Lanka could've just squeezed out at least 50 more runs and got a lead of approximately 200, it would've made for a very close match, given the match would've also gone into day 5, and you wouldn't wanna be chasing victory on a day 5 SCG pitch.

El Diablo

Post Whore
You were talking about passengers IN OUR TEAM. So I responded with a stat ranking players IN OUR TEAM. Quite simple for anyone smart to understand.

You were quite clear stating he was the leading run scorer in the test. You have said it in two threads already

Now that you know you're wrong you're trying to wriggle out of it

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
f**k that's an ordinary trophy..
I reckon it is the best I have seen.

Not some small urn, or cup, but with the ball in hand of two different styles of spin.

tbh, best one I have seen.

Perhaps a nice Crystal plate...................The Watson.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade

Not some small urn, or cup, but with the ball in hand of two different styles of spin.

With a big sticker emblazoned across it.

FRAGILE - HANDLE WITH CARE

Horrie Is God

First Grade

I disagree sir,but beauty is in the eye of the beholder..

The ashes is the best one i've seen..

I reckon most trophies are ostentatious..

El Diablo

Post Whore

cristie-kerr-trophy-kiss.jpg

Hallatia

Referee
Clarke drained by 'tough summer'
Daniel Brettig at the SCG
January 6, 2013

Australia have risen to No. 3 on the ICC's Test rankings as a result of a 3-0 sweep of Sri Lanka. The difficulty their captain Michael Clarke now faces is the team that took them there will not be the one he leads first to India, and then to the Ashes beyond.

Losing Michael Hussey and Ricky Ponting in the space of a single summer, while at the same time grooving a policy of fast-bowler management has made it a draining six Tests for Clarke, and in the wake of the five-wicket victory at the SCG he acknowledged the size of the task ahead. He also admitted to the difficulty of guiding the team while shedding such an enormous amount of experience.

If Clarke was more emotional at the time of Ponting's exit in Perth, he was clearer headed about what Hussey's retirement meant for the tours of India and England - increased difficulty. "Another man down unfortunately," Clarke said. "It's been a tough summer to be honest. It's been nice to have some guys come in and make their debut but it's been tough to see two fantastic players in Ricky Ponting and Mike Hussey leave the game.

"We certainly have a tough year ahead, that's for sure. I think on our good days we're very good and can cut it with the best, like the No. 1 team in the world South Africa, but on our poor days there's a lot of areas we need to improve, both individually and as a team. I think what you've seen of the Australian team this summer probably sums up where we're at. We're fighting to get better every day, that's the positive."

Australia's performance in Sydney rather summed up the patchiness of their summer. Making an indifferent start after eminently debatable decisions both in team selection and at the coin toss, Clarke's men wrested back an advantage via the counter-punching of Matthew Wade and then pressured Sri Lanka's batsmen into a series of grievous errors on the third afternoon that ultimately determined the outcome of the match.

"The days we aren't performing as well as we can, whether that be with the ball or with the bat, we're letting ourselves down," Clarke said. "At the moment there's a bit of a gap between very good and not so good but we've got a team that's working very hard. Every day we get out of bed we're trying to get better.

"I certainly can't have a go at the boys. I think the commitment throughout the whole summer has been outstanding - the way we've trained and prepared, the role the support staff have played … We know we've got some work to do but we're up for the challenge."

While Jackson Bird's emergence as a commendably reliable paceman against Sri Lanka was arguably the most significant find of the Tests, Clarke and his fellow selectors will have some other revelations to consider ahead of India. One of the least convenient was the struggle of several batsmen against spin, notably the opener Ed Cowan, and another was the top order's lack of precision when running between the wickets. Shane Watson's future, and the team's balance, is clouded by his reluctance to continue bowling.

Clarke said the spectre of slow bowling on turning Indian pitches was something that would take plenty of skill and application to overcome, particularly now that Hussey has left the scene. "It will be really tough, especially in the second innings on the subcontinent is generally very tough to play spin bowling. I think we're improving," Clarke said. "There are areas we need to continually get better at. Spin bowling is one of those areas. In a couple of months, we're going to be faced with conditions that spin a lot, so there's no better place to get better than on the subcontinent.

"I'm really impressed with the way we finished this summer in the Test format. I was really proud of the way we fought it out against the No.1 Test team in the world. I think we have taken a lot from that series and I think we've shown improvement throughout this series."

The ODI team will be led by George Bailey for the first two matches of the series against Sri Lanka, as Clarke rests a tender hamstring, but he felt sure he would be fit and refreshed in time to return for game three in Brisbane. It will be the next phase of a year in which Clarke has now become more pivotal than ever.
Sauce