What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: Australia vs South Africa in Sydney

Evolution

Juniors
Do you realise Bracken is the top ODI bowler in the world? Is he suddenly inept in the longer version of the game? He is a vastly improved bowler from the one that last bowled in a Test match.

Being a good one day bowler does not make you a good test bowler. In fact I hate how the Selectors use it to get people into the team. It is completely different dynamics for bowlers. In a one day game there are limited overs to score runs so batsmen will go for balls they would normally leave.

In test you can bide your time for the bad balls and have more leeway to keep away from the good balls

Evolution

Juniors
Bracken is sh*t then? Okay, sorry, I thought he might be okay but obviously I'm wrong.

Sorry.

I never said he was crap in fact I think he more than deserves the title of the best ODI bowler in the world but the simple fact is that doesn't translate into test form and thats my point.

HevyDevy

Coach
Yep - nothing too special. He has improved since. You are now trying to tell me that Bollinger offered nothing (three LBW's that were out denied, had Smith edging everything in the first innings, Hayden dropped catch) because he picked up only 2 wickets. Right.

Ironically, I still rate him our best bowler in the series. It certainly was NOT Johnson.

HevyDevy

Coach
I never said he was crap in fact I think he more than deserves the title of the best ODI bowler in the world but the simple fact is that doesn't translate into test form and thats my point.

My point is that it would be nice to find out one way or the other.

HevyDevy

Coach
I mean, he's not just a decent ODI bowler, he is the best in the world. He is proven at international level. Of course it's different to Tests but here we are playing all these Test rookies when we have a guy proven at international level and we won't even give him a chance.

It doesn't make any sense to me.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

he doesn't play test matches doofus

how cant it possibly translate ?

Evolution

Juniors
he doesn't play test matches doofus

how cant it possibly translate ?

Ok his one day average 148 wickets at 21.87 in 92 games.
Test average 12 wickets at 42.08 from 5 tests.
That would be my grounds for saying that the two don’t always translate.

Bazal

Post Whore

He hasn't played a Test in what, four years? How do you know they don't translate? He's a vastly different bowler now than what he was

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

those stats are 5 years old

it doesn't translate for you because you only speak Victorian

Evolution

Juniors
Ffs, he is a far better bowler now than he was when he last played a Test.

Does that compute?

I was asked how they don't often translate, i provided evidence to that extent.
He may be a better bowler now but he was still a great ODI bowler in 2005 averaging 21.18 in one day bowling which would still put him amongst the best ODI bowlers in the world. That form didn't translate then and you have no proof that it will translate now. So while he may be a more mature bowler now i'd also say that he has dropped a yard of pace and on top of that the white ball tends to swing a hell of a lot more than the red ball which hardly managed to move for anyone in this series including Kallis and Steyn who are noted swing bowlers

Why do some people always bring up Noffke as an option?

He is over 30, hasn't played at all this summer, bowls at about 130kph and is no where near as good a batsman to bat at #6 or #7 in the test team.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Why do some people always bring up Noffke as an option?

He is over 30, hasn't played at all this summer, bowls at about 130kph and is no where near as good a batsman to bat at #6 or #7 in the test team.

last years form I'd say

he is about 33 I think

Bazal

Post Whore
He may be a better bowler now but he was still a great ODI bowler in 2005 averaging 21.18 in one day bowling which would still put him amongst the best ODI bowlers in the world. That form didn't translate then and you have no proof that it will translate now. So while he may be a more mature bowler now i'd also say that he has dropped a yard of pace and on top of that the white ball tends to swing a hell of a lot more than the red ball which hardly managed to move for anyone in this series including Kallis and Steyn who are noted swing bowlers

And you have no proof that it won't. How does one know if they don't try him? He's developed a lot of cutters and slower balls since 2005 that would be insanely handy in our attack. Siddle and Johnson don't swing the ball, Bollinger didn't get much swing in this Test and may or may not later, and Clark bowls out and out seam. We have very little variety and Bracken would add that. Can you really not see the benefits of giving him another chance?

Evolution

Juniors
And you have no proof that it won't. How does one know if they don't try him? He's developed a lot of cutters and slower balls since 2005 that would be insanely handy in our attack. Siddle and Johnson don't swing the ball, Bollinger didn't get much swing in this Test and may or may not later, and Clark bowls out and out seam. We have very little variety and Bracken would add that. Can you really not see the benefits of giving him another chance?

For the swing option i would go for Hilfenhaus. I think he would offer more to the team but thats just my personal opinion like yours is for Bracken we are just going to have to agree to disagree there. My argument is not just in regards to Bracken but anyone that one day form doesn't translate instantly into test form as they are different games which you can tell just by the make up of the squads picked for each.

HevyDevy

Coach

Just give him a go - and for a whole series.

Latest posts