What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: New Zealand v South Africa at Hamilton on Mar 25-29, 2017

vvvrulz

Coach
Not with our batting, Williamson and Raval have been handed too much to do.

We're missing a trick by not throwing Guptill in, yeah he's been awful for ages but he's still no worse than most of our line-up. He'd go ok in the middle order I reckon, away from that shiny new ball.

JJ

Immortal
Guptill's out with the hammy - but I disagree, he just hasn't shown the ability to open in tests, or bat down the order - like Warner he's great on flat decks etc, so sure play him in tests in Australia, maybe some wickets in RSA but he's not good against the new ball nor spin

Iafeta

Referee
Yeah... about that, Guptill isn't available. He's injured.

I think this season has absolutely hammered home the point seemingly taken for granted by some that Ross Taylor is a lynchpin of New Zealand Cricket.

vvvrulz

Coach
Oh right my bad.

I don't think we've actually tried Guptill in the middle order though?

Iafeta

Referee
I think he's had 4 or so tests there. Most against the Bangas and I think he got 180 odd in one of them and I distinctly remember a horror double failure in England.

vvvrulz

Coach
Just had a look, yep that bangers 189 at 5, couple of 50s there too one against Aussie.
3 innings at 4th and 6th, all failures. All of this was 2010 or 2013.

Worth another go I'd say.

JJ

Immortal
Needs to bat there at first class level I'd say. For better or worse Nicholls has locked down the 5 spot for a bit, I still like Neesham at 6

Williamson is the lynchpin imo, what we've seen in this series and the Australian one in particular is that when Taylor isn't there the opposition attack can literally devote all their resources to Williamson - made worse at the moment by Latham who ensures Williamson is out there very early, and he's getting the treatment

But with Wlliamson and Taylor we have a pretty decent punch at 3-4, especially if the openers can get us a start

Iafeta

Referee
Scott CougarLine into the team. All I can say is thank God it's forecast to rain for practically the entire test.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Henry and De GrandPlod. Not since Akram and Younis has there been such a devastating opening bowling combination.

South Africa 5/2

Watch Amla find form now.

Oh, and Williamson must be the worst tosser in the history of tossing.

Iafeta

Referee
NZs ability with DRS is easily the worst in the world. Williamson and Watling are completely clueless muppets with it.

That said, Duminy loves throwing his wicket away. Just like that...

Iafeta

Referee
Got to agree 28954378543% with Simon Doull. Kane loves to bowl his quicks into the ground. Hell of a lot of overs in session one for CDG and Henry. Can't help feel Southee and Boult are suffering from these murderous spell lengths.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
They beat us soundly but this south African batting lineup is mediocre.
Elgar is a battler and comes good now and then.
Cook is a good first class cricketer but not a test player
Amla is class but ironically hasn't been in form when they've done well.
Duminy is a plodder. He can thank his ancestry for his long career
Faf. Competent.
Bavuma is a good player but hardly a world beater
De kock. Best keeper batsmen in the world by far.

They're now number 2 in the world.

Iafeta

Referee
Put AB De Villiers back in and it's a different story though. And they bat quite deep down their order. Their bowling though is exceptional.