What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd test: NZ v Pakistan

African Monkey

First Grade
Starts Friday 11 December. Only one change to the NZ lineup with Watling in for Fulton. A disgrace that Fulton was the only one dropped. Also Iain O'Brien's last test.

African Monkey

First Grade
McIntosh keeps his spot? AM give me a reason!
I have nfi tbh. The guy is a walking wicket who plays with his pad in front of his bat and he doesn't get a long way forward which makes him an LBW candidate every single time. He also can't play the short ball at all and I hope to god that he doesn't score runs in this test because that will mean that he will face up to you guys in March and it won't be pretty viewing.

JJ

Immortal
McIntosh keeps his spot? AM give me a reason!

Because there is nobody at all who is any good in NZ

Watling is ordinary too, Guptill is rubbish as a test opener, Cumming is ordinary, Bell, Ingram etc all journeymen at best. McIntosh probably has the best first class record of them all... but yeah, our batting lineup is woeful and that's being charitable...

What irritates me the most is the mode of dismissal - the likes of McIntosh, Guptill, Elliott and Fulton simply can't do the basics well enough, Elliott's dismissals in test 2 were disgraceful, and to some extent similar criticisms can be made of Taylor too

JJ

Immortal
I keep hearing people saying that McLean Park is a road. So a draw and 1 all

Good batting wicket, not a road

I think the result really depends on whether our batting lineup can show any degree of competence

Hallatia

Referee
Vettori will be batting at 6 "to accomodate the an extra bowler" to the lineup...
Daniel Vettori to bat at No.6 in decider

Cricinfo staff
December 10, 2009

Daniel Vettori's responsibilities have increased after it was agreed he would bat at No.6 in tomorrow's decider against Pakistan in Napier. The decision was made to accommodate an extra bowler on what Vettori has described as a pitch "quite different" from the ones used on previous occasions at the venue.
"I just had a brief discussion with Mark Greatbatch, we've got our heads round it," Vettori said. "I'll be batting at No.6, and we'll play the extra bowler in this time. We're tossing it up between going with four seamers, or three seamers and two spinners."
Vettori has batted at No.6 in ODIs and the promotion comes at the time when the batting line-up is in dire need of some solidity, following failures in both innings in the second Test in Wellington. "I'm excited about it in some ways and a little nervous as well," Vettori said about his new role. "When you bat at No.6, your expectations are different and I suppose I have to take a mindset that I have taken into all my batting displays. Batting at No.6 in ODIs has helped a bit, and I realize my role a bit more. If I can do that, it gives us a nice all-round option."
In the event that New Zealand go in with four seamers, Tim Southee, who came in as a replacement for Shane Bond in the squad, is likely to play his first game of the series, while Jeetan Patel remains the spinning option. Grant Elliott, Vettori said, was struggling from a knee injury and a final decision on his place will taken tomorrow. With the inclusion of BJ Watling as opener, Daniel Flynn could be expected to drop down the order.
Four of the last five Tests in Napier have ended in a draw, but Vettori felt the track this time had more to offer for the bowlers. "The curator has worked hard on putting a bit more pace in it and wants it to be a touch livelier than in the past," he said. "He said everytime there's a new ball taken, there's a bit in it. We've played on some tough decks in the past; the balance will be a lot more even in this game."
The toss, Vettori added, would not be vital. "With the grass cover on it, it will be pretty consistent throughout the Test," he said. "The new ball will play its part through the five days hopefully, which is what you want and then it turns into a good batting deck."
Only Ross Taylor in the top order has managed to measure up to the accuracy and persistence of Pakistan's bowlers, and Vettori admitted his batsmen were under pressure to perform, but did not require an overhaul in their technique. "They are under a bit of pressure. Sometimes in these situations you try to reinvent your game and they just need a 5 to 10 percent improvement," he said. "It's not completely turning over their game, just a few key areas to improve on and if they do that it's going to help our resolve. It goes towards bowling and fielding too, and if we rectify just a couple of key areas that will make a difference to us."
Pakistan's bowlers, led by Mohammad Asif, have made the best use of favourable conditions on offer in the series, and Vettori said his bowlers had much to learn from their counterparts. "Asif has been so successful for the lengths he's bowled. We need to get it fuller to utilise what movement there is," he said. The New Zealand batsmen, Vettori said, had to contend with a varied attack. "All three seamers bring something different; the left-armer [Mohammad Aamer] who bangs it in, the line-length bowler [Asif] who bowls in outstanding areas and [Umar] Gul who mixes it up a bit, so it's important we counter these different factors."
The Napier Test will be Iain O'Brien's last, and Vettori was full of praise for his "go-to" bowler. "He's been a really good servant of New Zealand cricket," he said. "It's only been a short Test career but most of that has coincided with my captaincy and he has done a great job, and I've looked at him as the go-to guy in the team and he hasn't let me down."
http://www.cricinfo.com/nzvpak2009/content/current/story/438807.html

Meth

Staff member
PAK batting first. Southee removed Fish Arse early. 31/1. Pakistan scoring pretty freely.

I like Chris Martin, but he needs to ditch that head band

Meth

Staff member
O'Brien gets Yousuf for 0- huge wicket, great bowling

PAK- 43/3

Meth

Staff member
O'Brien gets Umar and Ul-Haq for 0 and . He's got 4 wickets for 3 runs at the moment.

Paki 51/5

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
It's been an insane bowling spell. Terrible batting, but at this level of cricket you should never see figures like that for a bowler.

Full credit to O'Brien though. He hasn't bowled a bad ball and maintained his pace throughout.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
It sounded out, and both of the batsman's feet were off the ground at the time so I'm not sure where the noise could've come from if not from the bat.

Meth

Staff member
Snicko conclusive- don't see why it can't be used in referral

Lego_Man

First Grade
The hotspot showed a small white splotch on the edge of the bat too. Imagine 6 down...

Cant tell if this is a minefield, or if it's just Pakistan making it look like one.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Nah the pitch is fine. Some of those shots were terrible. There's enough there for the bowlers if they're patient and bowl good lines, but there's plenty of runs for the batsmen if they actually put in the effort.

This is the NZ batting lineup we're talking about though.

And what's with Martin's headband? He looks like a busted condom.

Latest posts