What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: South Africa v Australia at Cape Town Mar 1-5, 2014

TheParraboy

Staff member
Cant see us winning this unless our 3-6 score big runs

Maybe a bowling change to freshen us up ?

Moses in for Marsh? (give Doolan a couple more tests at least)
Pattinson in for Harris (he doesn't seem right to me 1/137 for the 2nd test)

Rogers
Warner
Doolan
Clarke
Smith
Moses
Haddin
Johnson
Pattinson
'Siddle
Lyon

I think whatever we do, SA to win their first home series vs us, nothing sureri

Matt23

Staff member
Darsh out, Moises in, Clarke to 4, Smith to 5 & Possibly Patto for Harris

BunniesMan

Immortal
Part of that bloody Argus report they hold up as the holy bible said players have to succeed at one level before given an opportunity at the next. And then they go and pick Mr Shaun '35 career average, 20 season average, no 100s in 2 years' Marsh.

What is clear by now is that the ordinary, performance-based principles of Australian selection do not apply to Shaun Marsh. He is exempted from the old-fashioned requirement that "players must", as the Argus Report put it, "earn their positions in the time-honoured way of making runs, taking wickets and showing that they are ready to play at the next level".
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/a-straight-bat-cricket-blog/2013/oct/25/shaun-marsh-the-special-one

TheParraboy

Staff member
yeah forgot Watson, he will be back

I wouldn't discount brining in Hughes/Watson for doolan/marsh.
Ive said it before, Hughes should have been In the side over Doolan or Marsh, deserved it a heck of a lot more

Im only thinking of henriques cause our bowling is running out of puff, another back to back test coming up.

man2iel_

Juniors
Moses in to help improve a shithouse top 6? Please.

Doolan out. Hughes in.
Marsh out. Watson in.

Doolan and Marsh average 38 and 35 in first class cricket over a combined 15 years. That is a bloody large sample size. They are not good enough. The first test was a fluke.

Hughes and Watson who both have their share of critics at least average over 40 with the bat. We should never ever pick a batsman to play test cricket who averages in the 30s.

Doolan out, Hughes in.

Agree, I'd have had Hughes in the side before Marsh or Doolan. Hughes has been in good form in Shield cricket and has a good record against South Africa.

Phil Hughes (vs. SA 532 runs at 53.20, 2x50s, 20x100s)

Marsh out. Watson in.

I am in two minds as Marsh put together a super tonne in the opening test against this bowling attack. Can Watson? I'd lean toward no. That said, is Watson fit to bowl if called upon? If so, you can make a strong case for a Watson return. My frustration has always been that Watson's batting talent/potential is far superior than his average sadly (3,343 runs at 36.33 - only 21 odd against SA). Tough call, I think the selectors will lean toward a fit Watson who can be a match winner on his day with bat or ball.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
one thing is for sure, the saffas will not prepare a bouncy pitch, they really blunted Johnson's pace on that slow pitch in the second test

Warner
Rogers
Clarke
Hughes
Smith
Watson
Haddin
Lyon
Johnson
Siddle / Harris / Pattinson - pick 2 of the 3 but I think Harris needs a rest.

Also, is it me, or does Dale Steyn use all that pink strapping around his right elbow to keep it in place so he can make all those chainsaw / punchy punches every time he takes a wicket?

Reminds me of 12th Man and Bruce Reid...sticky tape holding him together and will eventually fall apart...FLMAO :lol:

TheParraboy

Staff member
Doolan out, Hughes in.

Agree, I'd have had Hughes in the side before Marsh or Doolan. Hughes has been in good form in Shield cricket and has a good record against South Africa.

Phil Hughes (vs. SA 532 runs at 53.20, 2x50s, 20x100s)

Marsh out. Watson in.

I am in two minds as Marsh put together a super tonne in the opening test against this bowling attack. Can Watson? I'd lean toward no. That said, is Watson fit to bowl if called upon? If so, you can make a strong case for a Watson return. My frustration has always been that Watson's batting talent/potential is far superior than his average sadly (3,343 runs at 36.33 - only 21 odd against SA). Tough call, I think the selectors will lean toward a fit Watson who can be a match winner on his day with bat or ball.

20x 100s?

faints

clipser

Juniors
The second test didn't show a "slow" pitch... there were bouncers still coming down from Morkel at 145-149km/h...

JJ

Immortal
Clarke should stay at 5, he's best there, hopeless anywhere else, ask locky

Hate to see Harris dropped...

Pretty funny that people are arguing for Henriques, Watson and Hughes... can't see Henriques playing, first because he's crap, and second because Clarke clearly wants to stay at 5... maybe he can bump Smith to 4, at least he looks likely to get runs

He scored 234 five tests ago. And since then he had a 60 and two 40s in the series against India.

Yeah, but he's done f**k all against our bowlers other than look like a pork chop.

I keep hoping Johnson hits him so hard he goes in to cardiac arrest. Harsh, but I have been drinking. It's been a long f**king day and I don't take losing to Saffas too well...lucky I bought up before 10pm last night!

No offence to Saffas either. I love em, and Poms and Kiwis. But when it comes to cricket...mortal enemy. Even my ol' man who immigrated here from the UK back in 1972 cops it from me. Irrational I know. Prolly the wicked water talking.