What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: South Africa v Australia at Cape Town Mar 1-5, 2014

JJ

Immortal
It's absolutely brilliant, especially in the last few years, when away series wins have been pretty bloody rare. Agree with you that SA deserve to still hold onto that #1 ranking, they are an outstanding side & no-one has even gotten close to their consistency in the past 5 years or so.
Edit: Some interesting stats on the struggles of travelling teams in the past 24 months: http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-australia-2013-14/content/story/725675.html

This is a particularly special series win for Australia against a side that just refuses to give in.
Absolutely stoked :D:D

Yep, the more you think about it the more outstanding it is, that's why they're #1 and will stay there for a bit, and why Aust should be very please.

Kallis is a huge loss, obviously - and Smith will be too - but they have a core of world class players who have performed incredibly for a period, plus some who need to deliver on their talent (Duminy and Morkel), and some like Abbott, Parnell, and de Kock who look likely.

I'm looking for all those merkins who said after 5-0 - 'oh well, South Africa will show you a thing or two...that'll be your real test.'.

Where are those merkins now?

After reading through the comments for day 4 of the test, all I can say is Michael Clarke had a far better of idea of when to declare than some of you did. I'll take his judgement over those of you who reckoned he batted on for too long. :D

Meapro Ham

Juniors
rankings say they are - haven't lost away for about 8 years, and first loss at home for 5... 2 series don't get you to #1... it's worked out (and rightly so) on a longer period...

Impressive by Australia though... Warner has emerged as a real quality test opener, and Ryan Harris is a terrific bowler

Nah. Smashed in your own backyard means you lose the crown. I don't care what the rankings say. And they were smashed. Both wins for the Aussies were absolute smashings. SA nearly salvaged a draw in this game but fact is they were never a chance of winning from day 1. Jagged a win in the 2nd test with some reverse swing tricks but once Aust worked out the same tricks it was no contest again.

Had this been a close series you'd have a better argument but there was nothing close about it. Plus this ain't the same SA side that was no 1 anyway. That side had Kallis and Smith. So they lose the crown in my books.

saint.nick

Coach
After reading through the comments for day 4 of the test, all I can say is Michael Clarke had a far better of idea of when to declare than some of you did. I'll take his judgement over those of you who reckoned he batted on for too long. :D

Not to mention everyone was crying 'great declaration great declaration!'

saint.nick

Coach
Nah. Smashed in your own backyard means you lose the crown. I don't care what the rankings say. And they were smashed. Both wins for the Aussies were absolute smashings. SA nearly salvaged a draw in this game but fact is they were never a chance of winning from day 1. Jagged a win in the 2nd test with some reverse swing tricks but once Aust worked out the same tricks it was no contest again.

Had this been a close series you'd have a better argument but there was nothing close about it. Plus this ain't the same SA side that was no 1 anyway. That side had Kallis and Smith. So they lose the crown in my books.

Seems my post kinda disappeared..anyway.

Totally agree. If you've been the best in last five years, congratulations. But being the best in the last 5 years dpesn't automatically make you still the best. SA don't deserve to be number one. Australia have spanked England 5-0 and then spanked SA in two tests in their own backyard. Keeping SA as number one just because they used to be better makes them false number ones.

undertaker

Coach
Have to have a huge laugh at a cricinfo article Darryl Cullinan wrote 2 or so days ago about both captains being happy with a draw. With a mentality like that, no wonder why you were such a loser when you played for South Africa.

Have to have a huge laugh at a cricinfo article Darryl Cullinan wrote 2 or so days ago about both captains being happy with a draw. With a mentality like that, no wonder why you were such a loser when you played for South Africa.

Almost Everything he's had to say lately is laughable. You read what he had to say and it's no wonder Shane Warne played him like a fiddle every single time b