What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: South Africa v Australia at Cape Town Mar 1-5, 2014

bazza

Immortal
I'm not saying it should, hence why it said it has no room. It's probably the best they could do. The main point I'm trying to put out there is that it's a shame Australia aren't number one, because in my opinion they deserve to be. RSA's time is coming to and end, whereas we are now rapid ascendency. I wouldn't have complained if were were down hear the bottom after losing to India, England and etc.

Compare it to tennis rankings - the #3 ranked player won't shoot up to #1 just because he beats the #1 ranked player in one match

JJ

Immortal
There's nothing more irrelevant than rankings. They mean nothing. For exams, isn't Philander ranked no. 2 bowler in the world?

No, he's #3 :D Harris is #2

The rankings are a decent system, adjusted appropriately for poor patches and good ones

I have the Eels to upset the Warriors :( But Warriors to make 8, Eels not :)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
We shit on the Warriors first game last year and hardly won another game all year.

#marchgrandfinalists

I've said this a number of times... You watch the tape of day 1 at the Gabba. England were not afraid to give it, Trott included. But when the tide turned, softest bunch of fking merkins I have ever seen, Broad excepted. Weak as piss. Swann can go f**k himself. Alright when in top but went to water when real pressure came. We ruined their careers and they fking know it the spineless twats.

Hutty1986

Immortal
I've said this a number of times... You watch the tape of day 1 at the Gabba. England were not afraid to give it, Trott included. But when the tide turned, softest bunch of fking merkins I have ever seen, Broad excepted. Weak as piss. Swann can go f**k himself. Alright when in top but went to water when real pressure came. We ruined their careers and they fking know it the spineless twats.

Got the good old 'Urn Returns' dvd a few weeks back, might be time for a viewing!

JW

Coach
We have deadset ruined these pricks haven't we :lol:

How Swine, one of the biggest front-running f**kwits in world Cricket, who has now left a legacy as the biggest pea-heart, can call any opponent an average individual is beyond me.

Huge black mark over England after this Ashes.

Left careers in tatters.

Killed the captain. Killed the coach.

Ended Trott, Pietersen, Swann, Prior, Anderson...

Some of these 'legends' now have 2 Ashes whitewash tours on their resumes with the only other whitewash a 100 years ago.

Even Flintoff called them weak, lol.

I remember sitting at MCG as those pricks did their sprinkler. Lowest point in my cricket life. To see them explode now... L O fking L!

And now we've done it to Graeme Smith too. Don't forget he bagged Pup, as heard via stump mic, that he was 'leading from the front at 5'. Nekminnit, retiring immediately after been humiliated in 3 tests.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
There's talk of the South African series becoming a 4 test series.

I'd prefer 5 but it's a good start.

jargan83

Coach
There's talk of the South African series becoming a 4 test series.

I'd prefer 5 but it's a good start.

I read an article on Cricinfo regarding that late last night. Apparently the boards are in negotiations.

I too would prefer a 5 Test series but at least it's a step in the right direction.

jargan83

Coach
Heres the article if anyone hasn't seen it

Australia and South Africa are in talks to expand the size of their future Test series meetings from three matches to four, following the dramatic and high quality series completed at Newlands last week.

As part of the range of FTP agreements being negotiated between ICC Full Member nations following the approval of a series of resolutions that will bring fundamental changes to the way the game is run, Cricket Australia's chairman Wally Edwards said there was a desire to recognise highly competitive match-ups by playing them over a longer duration.

Australia's 2-1 victory remained in doubt until the final half-hour of the series following an encounter of many fluctuations. Edwards is strong in his desire to see such contests become more frequent in world cricket, not only among the presently strong nations but also those looking to improve.

"We're talking to them at the moment about more," Edwards told ESPNcricinfo during the Cape Town Test, during discussions with Cricket South Africa. "They deserve more, and you've got to recognise the quality of the cricket I think. I think it's not a bad stepping stone to have recognised quality by another Test or two. That principle might come out."

Australia and South Africa have played Test series of three matches in every meeting but one since the latter's readmission to international cricket in 1992. The previous series in South Africa in 2011 was shortened to two matches, a decision CA expressed some disappointment about at the time.

Under the commitments made by Australia and England to play each of the top eight nations at home and away over an eight-year period, the boards will also work to find additional windows for fixtures against lower-ranked nations, which had been increasingly marginalised in recent years.

Edwards acknowledged that Australia may consequently return to the scheduling of international matches in the Northern Territory and Queensland during the winter months in order to better accommodate their new obligations.

"Half the challenge is fitting this in," Edwards said. "But Test series have been getting quicker, more compressed because that's life. It's the way the world is, faster, closer and quicker. I think you always want a warm-up game or two, because one might be washed out, that's why you'd want two. [But] this has been a very good series."

It is also believed that South Africa's future series with India may also be played over four Tests, rather than the two their most recent encounter was shrunk down to following a period of considerable doubt about the BCCI consenting to tour at all.

That stand-off was emblematic of the troubles Edwards had witnessed at the ICC since his arrival on the executive board as a reform-minded CA chairman in 2012.

He has spoken to ESPNcricinfo about the pathway from the rejection of the Woolf Report to the current resolutions, and about the difficulty of achieving meaningful change at the ICC following his successful campaign to streamline Australian cricket's governance and add independent voices to the CA board table.

The full interview will be published later this week.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/727001.html

TheParraboy

Staff member
Poms are hosting India for 5 tests (SL for 2 tests prior) In their coming summer, 2 tests at Lords (one vs SL one vs Ind)

Yet we just have a total of 4 tests in our summer v India

Its just not cricket