What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 Test Tour of South Africa in 2018

jargan83

Coach
SOUTH Africa and Australia will contest a four-Test series for the first time in almost 50 years when they clash in March and April 2018, Cricket South Africa (CSA) announced on Wednesday.

Australia will tour South Africa seeking revenge for a 2-1 home series loss in November and will play four Tests against the Proteas for the first time since being humbled 4-0 on South Africa soil in the 1969/70 season.

Since South Africa’s readmission to international cricket in 1991 the sides have met in only two- or three-Test series and in that time the Proteas have never won a Test against Australia on home soil.

The first Test will be played in Durban (March 1-5), followed by Port Elizabeth (March 9-13), Cape Town (March 22-26) and Johannesburg (March 30-April 3).

“Test match cricket between Australia and South Africa has always produced epic battles and brought out high-class individual performances that have become part of the annals of the game,” CSA Chief Executive, Haroon Lorgat said in a statement.

“Australia are currently the number two ranked team on the ICC Test table and we will need to beat them and India to regain our place at the top of the table.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...8/news-story/0d0809bae6c861d24cbd18b4a850359a

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
what is the point of a 4 test series ?

granted its better than none but f**k me, what ever happened to 5 test series ?

I guess the 5th test will no doubt clash with an ODI series or hit and giggle series

Tommy Smith

Referee
4 is better than the usual 3.

But yes, nothing beats a war of attrition over 5 tests between two rivals and test heavyweights.

It's sad that only the Ashes is played over 5 tests these days because of the hit n giggle shit.

Bazal

Post Whore
what is the point of a 4 test series ?

granted its better than none but f**k me, what ever happened to 5 test series ?

I guess the 5th test will no doubt clash with an ODI series or hit and giggle series

It's one Test more than a 3 match series?

I'd say the weather by April will have played a big role in deciding not to go to five tests as well. And any earlier and it clashes with our home season

Incorrect

Coach
Not a fan of 4 match series. Would prefer 3 or 5.

I know what you're mean, but being the game that it is and at the mercy of the weather, it's conceivable that going in to the 3rd Test the teams could be locked at 1 apiece, then the 3rd test is a washout. A 4 match series in that case is a godsend (presuming the 4th Test proceeds unaffected by the weather)....

Mr Spock!

Referee
Why not a 6 test series in both South Africa and Australia?

Takes away the perennial issue of the conflict of our summers.

Timbo

Staff member
As long as we get an extended series on the return.

If we either (a) eliminated 50 over cricket or (b) made T20 cricket club-only there would be room for 5 test series.

Keep in mind - the series vs the Proteas here this summer was originally scheduled for 4 tests but they cancelled one for some hit and giggle.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Since South Africa’s readmission to international cricket in 1991 the sides have met in only two- or three-Test series and in that time the Proteas have never won a Test against Australia on home soil.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...8/news-story/0d0809bae6c861d24cbd18b4a850359a

That should read "Never won a test series"

Didn't we play a 2 test series over there last time around and this 4 test series in 2018 in paying that lost test back? Read something at the time that we owe them one later on. Plus the article doesn't say anything about 4 test series being a regular thing

This is great for us, smack the poms 17/18 then head over to South Africa and smack them there as well. Starc will be more lethal than Johnson by then, plus we will have Haze, Cummins or Patto. Cant wait

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I could be wrong but wasn't there talk of originally having 4 tests against the South Africans in the recent series?

I say good. Considering how its been talked about for a long time over in South Africa. We haven't had an extended test series since they were re-admitted in 1991 and the last series or 4 tests or more was in 1970. We were beaten 4-0 in that series, however if you read into it, Australia had basically come straight from India with the same players and different conditions.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Last tour in 2014 was a 3 Test tour, the one before it in 2011 was a 3 Test tour.

2011 was a two test series and for the life of me, I don't know why we even bothered if it was just a two test series but at least we weren't beaten 2-0.

jargan83

Coach
2011 was a two test series and for the life of me, I don't know why we even bothered if it was just a two test series but at least we weren't beaten 2-0.

Yes it was, I have no idea why I typed 3 lol.

Pat Cummins debuted in the 2nd Test of that series that Australia won.