What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4N Future... undecided, as usual

adamkungl

Immortal
Might not always go the way we hope but huge respect for Collier for replying to emails from nobodies.

So the structure is basically what we expect, with the exception of no IC in 2019. If I was to take a not-very-wild guess we might see the 4N return in some form in 2019.

My remaining questions and thoughts:

I think any tournament series featuring more than 2 nations should be run by the RLIF rather than the individual nations involved as the 4N is currently, with a share of the profits directed back to the international game.

Will this calendar, once released, feature Pacific, European, American cups backed by the RLIF? These could be given more precedence and prestige than they currently have if they were played regularly and had clear rewards every year, ie. qualification for larger tournaments.

Doesn't really explain why there is no comp in 2019. No mention of Nines or anything else either.

I don't think you can call it a calendar.

If you bought a calendar and opened it up and inside it had March, August and November and every other page was blank you'd be pretty shitty.

siv

First Grade
Yes the RLIF could organise something without Australia. It would be awesome for us hardcore fans of the game. But Australia is the biggest match up for both England and New Zealand and that's what draws the casual fans, media and the money.

I disagree

What you call casual fans are existing RL fans

Take Socceroos or Wallaby fans many are just sports fans and follow their national team but not follow a domestic team

Thats the market we can tap into

And Australia participating doesn't impact them

We had 700 mil watch England v France game this year. The market is there to be tapped

siv

First Grade
Might not always go the way we hope but huge respect for Collier for replying to emails from nobodies.

So the structure is basically what we expect, with the exception of no IC in 2019. If I was to take a not-very-wild guess we might see the 4N return in some form in 2019.

I think any tournament series featuring more than 2 nations should be run by the RLIF rather than the individual nations involved as the 4N is currently, with a share of the profits directed back to the international game.

Will this calendar, once released, feature Pacific, European, American cups backed by the RLIF? These could be given more precedence and prestige than they currently have if they were played regularly and had clear rewards every year, ie. qualification for larger tournaments.

Agree my only concern from his reply is not so much the missing 2019 IC

But the comment about bi-lateral arrangements

Rather than comment about the regional confederations making arrangements

roughyedspud

Coach
Might not always go the way we hope but huge respect for Collier for replying to emails from nobodies..

oi give me some credit ya bastard ;) its big breaking news..real RL journo's are still making shit up lol

Will this calendar, once released, feature Pacific, European, American cups backed by the RLIF? These could be given more precedence and prestige than they currently have if they were played regularly and had clear rewards every year, ie. qualification for larger tournament

reading between the lines there is underlying factors as to why theres not a IC cup in 2019,whether its cos it's too soon to organise one? or whats happening downunder with the ARLC,NRL & ARLP..probably a combination of a couple of things..but yeah the IC cup in 2019 is the only thing missing from what we expected

as for the regional cups,that'll be the domain of the RLEF & APRLC and for them to announce..

and what to do in 2018,2019 & 2020? id go

2018 - england v NZ test series in england, england would have gone down under for the world cup the year before,plus the aussies want a year off

2019 - nz v oz test series , england,wales,scotland & ireland 4 nations

2020 - 4nations to celebrate 125years of RL in england , australia,nz,england & combined celts team

adamkungl

Immortal
For practical purposes rather than ranking (ie. they have professional teams, are capable of putting together a side without NRL clubs, it parallels Aus and NZ) I'd group France up with the 'big 3' for the next cycle, participating in big tests and tours rather than European Cup.

mid season - regional Cups (Euro A B C, Pacific A B, Americas, Asia-Africa) *
*Winners of Euro A and Pacific A join 2019 6N
+ One off tests: each of the 'big 4' vs a local tier 2 nation
Aus v NZ, Eng v Fra

post season-
One off tests: each of the 'big 4' vs a local tier 2 nation
Aus v NZ, Eng v Fra round 2
Aus tour England + UK
France tour NZ + Pacific
Aus v NZ, Eng v Fra round 3

mid season - regional Cups (Euro A B C, Pacific A B, Americas, Asia-Africa)*
*winners of each automatically qualify for WC 2021
+ One off tests: each of the 'big 4' vs a local tier 2 nation
Aus v NZ
Eng v Fra

post season-
warm-up tests: each of the 'big 4' vs a tier 2 nation that isnt in 6N
6Nations - Aus NZ Eng Fra + 2018 winners of Euro and Pacific Cups.

mid season -
Aus v NZ, Eng v Fra

post season-
Aus v NZ, Eng v Fra round 2
England tour Aus,NZ,Pacific
NZ tour France, Europe
Aus v NZ, Eng v Fra round 3
Other already WC qualified nations pair up for test series'
+WC qualifiers

2021 WC

oi give me some credit ya bastard ;) its big breaking news..real RL journo's are still making shit up lol

reading between the lines there is underlying factors as to why theres not a IC cup in 2019,whether its cos it's too soon to organise one? or whats happening downunder with the ARLC,NRL & ARLP..probably a combination of a couple of things..but yeah the IC cup in 2019 is the only thing missing from what we expected

as for the regional cups,that'll be the domain of the RLEF & APRLC and for them to announce..

and what to do in 2018,2019 & 2020? id go

2018 - england v NZ test series in england, england would have gone down under for the world cup the year before,plus the aussies want a year off

2019 - nz v oz test series , england,wales,scotland & ireland 4 nations

2020 - 4nations to celebrate 125years of RL in england , australia,nz,england & combined celts team

Riiiight.

So...

Great Britain = rubbish, pointless, irrelevant etc.

Combined Celtic team that doesn't exist and never has = brilliant

Don't bother asking Collier for a job in your little email chat.

siv

First Grade
I like the idea of regional tiering

But it should occur in combination with the mid year 4N Cups and end of season 6N

We arent going to get away from Australia being the elephant in the room with SOO

SOO I say accept it exists in 4 srandalone rep weekends. Either played on Sunday or Tuesday just after

End of season 6 Nations who plays - Australia plus 2 Euro and two Pacific qualifiers plus one other

In a mid year 4N Cup Euro including England and a Pacific Cup including NZ

Other spot goes to a Americas/MEA Cup winner plyoff

Teams that miss out on the 6N fall back into a regional Shield 6N Series at end of season

Winners of their regional Tier get the opportunity to play up in next years 4N Cups

This runs in 2018 2019

2020 are RLWCQ for everyone but big 3
And here A tour England end of season playing 3 tests

Mid year 2020 England tours NZ 3 test series

Then its 2021 RLWC

roughyedspud

Coach
Riiiight.

So...

Great Britain = rubbish, pointless, irrelevant etc.

Combined Celtic team that doesn't exist and never has = brilliant

Don't bother asking Collier for a job in your little email chat.

1. its a one off as part of 125year celebration

2. GB = 24 england players,pointless,

3. a GB team with the best wales,scots and ireland players,who are australian,would be pointless and devalue what little left there is of the GB brand

4. despite saying its a one off. a combined Celts team with 24 wales,scots & ireland players, would actually do for wales,scotland & ireland what daft twats think GB would do for them..

now back under your rock....

Lol.

Combine three nations that are actually joined by a long standing and well-known geographical and political union and under a name used in the sport for about 50 years = nah f**k it.

Combine three nations to create an entity that has never existed and has no actual historical relevance other than some vague and not even particularly accurate notion of being "Celtic" = genius, make it happen.

But that's okay, it's a "one-off". And that's supposed to make it more appropriate and useful apparently.

The difference between Great Britain and some phony "Celtic" nonentity is GB would potentially attract more support for the team than England, whereas combining three nations into one that doesn't exist actually makes it less interesting than any one of those nations alone.

And meanwhile another actual nation that really exists and has played the sport for more than 70 years like France is ignored. Brilliant.

Even under my rock there's a consensus about how stupid this shit is.

roughyedspud

Coach
i'll say its slowly for you simpleton

people say that if we bring back GB it'll help the likes wales,scotland & ireland retain players because they might get selected for GB...THE REALITY IS..unless they produce a shaun johnson or a JT theres ZERO chance of a welsh,scots or irish player making a GB team..

now...

if wales,scotland & ireland created their own "combined team" you know..a GB team without england!, where wales,scotland & ireland would be able to entice players to stick with them instead of sodding off by saying look,stick with us and every few years we'll tour australia,nz,pacific islands....and you'll actually play!

no no no...GB with no celts is better than a celts team with celts lol idiot

you are the kind of bloke,and i use the term loosely,that would have had a whinge when the RFL changed from being the northern union,to england to GB....

GBisDEAD

Hahahaha.

Makes one of the stupidest suggestions on here in ages (which is saying something) and has to make up even more bullshit about what I'd apparently think about an event that happened about 90 years ago that shockingly I wasn't around for and thinks it backs up the original stupid idea. And thinks this is actually about GB and not the ridiculous notion of combining three unpopular RL nations into one that doesn't exist and thinking it will be a success.

AND calls me a simpleton and idiot.

Wow.

No but seriously it's a great idea. Apart from anything else, the 15 or 20 people who would show up to watch this imaginary team could play a game in which they guess which "Celtic" country the poms and Aussies running around are pretending to represent. It'd be like an extra little bit of fun for them like footy doubles.

GB is dead apparently, but this team that has never existed is alive and well, at least in the imagination of very basic human beings.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Can't see the need or purpose of a Celtic team. Would be far better off playing France as part of a 125 year anniversary. I also can't see a Celtic team resonating with any players or fans. Great Britain has meaning however this Celtic team you have created doesn't

Coastbloke

Bench
Does anyone remember the Federation Cup in 2006?
It was England (more England A because GB were in Oz for Tri Nations) France, Tonga and Samoa. Played in Europe. Some crowds were OK. Around 6000 for some games.

If Australia and Kiwis have a 3 match series at end of season, could a renewed Federation Cup work with a full strength England, France and full strength PNG, Fiji, etc etc...?

Perth Red

Post Whore
It would be great to,see png or Fiji do a European tour in 2018 and play England, Wales, Scotland and France. Then nz, Tonga and Samoa play a tri nations tournament in nz . f**k the kangaroos.

Last Week

Bench
It would be great to,see png or Fiji do a European tour in 2018 and play England, Wales, Scotland and France. Then nz, Tonga and Samoa play a tri nations tournament in nz . f**k the kangaroos.

I don't think the PNG or Fiji can afford to.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Four Nations serves no point anymore. Australia or NZ always win it without much of a challenge.

Re-establishment of Kangaroos and Lions tours would be the best bet. Establish the second tier nations into these smaller tournaments to build the prestige of the game - Ireland, Scotland, Wales & France as one 'pool,' with PNG, Fiji, Tonga & Samoa in the other.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Not really when it's only ever Australia playing New Zealand for the trophy. English fans are cute with their delusions of grandeur.