What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th ODI, NZ v West Indies, Eden Park

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Tomorrow, NZ and West Indies play again, in the 4th ODI, and weather permitting it'll be a full 50 over match also.

Cricket: Vettori top ranked one-day bowler

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10551138

New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori has reclaimed the top spot on the International Cricket Council's one-day bowling rankings.
The spinner has leapfrogged Australian fast bowler Nathan Bracken on the strength of his performance during the current five-match series against the West Indies.
Vettori has taken six wickets in three games so far at 12.33 apiece.
His economy rate is also a thrifty 3.03 runs per over.
Named man of the match after taking four for 20 off 10 overs to pave the way for New Zealand's series-levelling seven-wicket win in Wellington on Wednesday, Vettori replaces Bracken, though the Australian will soon be back in action in his team's five-match series against South Africa.
Vettori has an opportunity to solidify his position in tomorrow's ODI against the West Indies here at Eden Park, while the series ends in Napier on Tuesday.
Bracken and Vettori will then go head-to-head when New Zealand cross the Tasman for a five-match Chappell-Hadlee Trophy series starting February 1.

It is not the first time Vettori has headed the rankings, the 29-year-old spent much of the first half of last year at No 1 before Bracken toppled him in June, while also playing the West Indies.
New Zealand fast bowler Kyle Mills has also improved a place to fourth while 20-year-old quick Tim Southee has jumped 20 places to be ranked 75th.
An injured Jacob Oram has slipped six places to 14th but still hangs on to the No 1 allrounder ranking.
ICC ODI rankings:-
Teams: Australia 131 rating points 1, South Africa 119 2, India 119 3, Pakistan 114 4, New Zealand 112 5, England 108 6, Sri Lanka 107 7, West Indies 92 8, Bangladesh 47 9, Ireland 19 10, Zimbabwe 13 11, Kenya 11 12.
Batsmen: MS Dhoni (India) 779 1, Michael Hussey (Australia) 776 2, Graeme Smith (South Africa) 760 3, Shivnarine Chanderpaul (West Indies) 749 4, Yuvraj Singh (India) 744 5.
Bowlers: Daniel Vettori (New Zealand) 766 1, Nathan Bracken (Australia) 755 2, Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka) 717 3, Kyle Mills (NZ) 713 4, Mitchell Johnson (Aust) 707 5.
Allrounders: Jacob Oram (NZ) 375 1, Andrew Flintoff (England) 366 2, Shoaib Malik (Pakistan) 342 3, Jacques Kallis (SA) 327 4, Chris Gayle (WI) 326 5.

shiznit

Coach
now.... i heard from my brother who watched the last game that Ryder had a bowl and was bowling very quick... in the 140's... can anyone confirm??

i said in an earlier thread that he used to be pretty quick before he put the weight on but was rubbished that hes barely been over 130ks...

now.... i heard from my brother who watched the last game that Ryder had a bowl and was bowling very quick... in the 140's... can anyone confirm??

i said in an earlier thread that he used to be pretty quick before he put the weight on but was rubbished that hes barely been over 130ks...

you have to remember that nz are 2 hours ahead which may explain why he seems to be bowling quicker than what he really is :sarcasm:

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Ok I've replaced this post! LOL

It's official, Ryder's GONE!!

Boozing Jesse Ryder axed from Black Caps

Updated 7:33PM Friday Jan 09, 2009

Jesse Ryder's drinking has once again cost him a place in the Black Caps.
Ryder has been dropped for tomorrow's fourth one dayer against the West Indies, for what team management is describing as inadequate preparation.
Ryder missed a team meeting on Thursday morning and was unable to train yesterday afternoon in Auckland, following a late night drinking session in Wellington.
Mathew Sinclair has been called into the side and will bat at number three.

blain

Juniors
at least he didnt do anything destructive or beat someone up... still he should know better in a professional environment

gives guptill a good go at opening, what he does for auckland

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ok I've replaced this post! LOL

It's official, Ryder's GONE!!

Boozing Jesse Ryder axed from Black Caps

Updated 7:33PM Friday Jan 09, 2009

Jesse Ryder's drinking has once again cost him a place in the Black Caps.
Ryder has been dropped for tomorrow's fourth one dayer against the West Indies, for what team management is describing as inadequate preparation.
Ryder missed a team meeting on Thursday morning and was unable to train yesterday afternoon in Auckland, following a late night drinking session in Wellington.
Mathew Sinclair has been called into the side and will bat at number three.

source please ?

Iafeta

Referee
shiz, it was more like 132ks an hour for Ryder. I think because he labours in and he's a skiddy bowler it hits the bat harder than you would expect. New Zealand are very short of bowling options now with Ryder out.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It's not the same article Twiz, but here you go:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4814063a1823.html

cheers doc

Ryder dropped for drinking indiscretion
Friday, 09 January 2009
Email a Friend | Printable View | Have Your Say
Related Links
Subscribe to Archivestuff
Have your say
Advertisement

Advertisement
Jesse Ryder's continuing battle with alcohol has marred his international cricket career again after a drinking session in Wellington has seen him axed from tomorrow's one-dayer against the West Indies at Eden Park.
Ryder slept through a team meeting before the team headed to Auckland yesterday and was unable to train later in the day – forcing team management to take disciplinary action against the talented though wayward allrounder.
The suspension comes 11 months after Ryder's well-publicised night out in Christchurch which culminated in him abusing hospital staff treating a hand gashed when he punched the toilet door window of an inner city bar.
His place in the lineup has been taken by sporadic international Mathew Sinclair, the in-form batsman in the domestic one and four-day competitions.
Ryder's axing compromises New Zealand's quest to take a 2-1 series lead as the 24-year-old is a fixture at the top of the order with Brendon McCullum.
He was also envisaged to have a prominent role with the ball after Jacob Oram was ruled out for the remainder of the series with a leg injury.
But despite his undoubted value to the team, New Zealand Cricket (NZC) chose to omit Ryder as concern resurfaces about his off-field antics.
Ryder's behaviour had been exemplary during last year's tours of Bangladesh and Australia.
He had made a conscious effort not to drink alcohol while in the team environment until he asked, and was granted, permission by the team's leadership group to go out after the drawn second test in Napier last month.
However, after New Zealand's seven-wicket in Wellington on Wednesday night he broke team protocols by drinking with friends. No other players were involved.
NZC chief executive Justin Vaughan said the organisation had to continue working with Ryder to address his drinking problem.
"There have been some positive signs and we shouldn't forget that," Vaughan said.
"In the last few months there's been many good things Jesse's been doing training-wise and his behavioural aspects but this is a setback," Vaughan said.
"Once again we need to ensure the management systems are around him but at the end there is a degree of personal responsibility. He accepts he has a problem and he has to work even harder to try and overcome it."
Vaughan said NZC had not yet considered following the lead of the New Zealand Rugby Union which imposed an alcohol ban on halfback Jimmy Cowan after the All Black was involved in a series of alcohol-related incidents last year.
"We're not at that stage at the moment but we appreciate Jesse has a drinking problem and we need to be able to sort this out.
"We all see his potential, but that's what it is, it is potential. He's not a world class player as yet and there needs to be an enormous amount of work and perseverance to be able to get him there.
"His drinking is getting in the way of that."
Ryder apologised to the team at training today.
"I have not only let myself down, but also my team-mates, support team and the cricket fans in general," he said in a statement.
"I thought I had reached the point where I could control my drinking better, but that is obviously not the case. I am only now starting to appreciate the size of the challenge that I face.
"I am totally committed to overcoming this problem and understand I will have to work even harder with the support group around me."
Ryder's temporary fall from grace – he is expected to return for the final match in Napier on Tuesday – means another recall for 33-year-old Sinclair.
He played the last of his 53 ODIs against Bangladesh in December 2007.
Sinclair had been overlooked this year despite amassing 331 runs at 110.33 in the State Shield competition and 516 at 103.20 in the four-day championship.
Debutant Martin Guptill will open the batting while Sinclair will bat at three.
- NZPA

blain

Juniors
because hes leading run scorer in the first class season, and top 5 in the one dayers. its just he's.... well matthew sinclair.

i dont mind hes there because they are debuting broom and guptill, who have potential to make it in international cricket.

Blaze

Juniors
Whoo! Skippy! Never thought he would be back. Here's hoping he makes the most of it (although we all know he most likely won't)

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I can't tell if this is a really sh*t game or just passable.

good stuff for guptill managing to not get out through to 50.