What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 year plan

Blues Riff

Bench
Here's the thing, there isn't one, there never was. It's assumed by many to be a fact that Penrith had a five year plan to win the competition. This urban myth has been used by every bitter, sarcastic moron on the internet as proof of the club's failure. Any time any Joe Blow or journo want to take a cheap shot at Gus Gould or the Panthers in general, out comes the old "5 year plan"
Gus has had a bit to say this week (not unusual) about our development programs which has led to articles such as this-
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-the-nrl-20170808-gxrktu.html?deviceType=text

The Penny seems to have finally dropped for Paul Kent at least. On NRL 360 he had this to say -
"I will tell you what, I went through our ("archive"-Ikin) system at work and I can't find Phil Gould quoted anywhere saying he had a five year plan to win the Premiership. What I could find was him saying was they inherited such a mess, it would take half a decade to turn around, didn't say a Premiership, half a decade which is five years to turn around, and I have to say, on that note, I think they've done the job"

No shit Kenty? Look no further than the pickled beetroot sitting opposite you once a week. Even he was set straight earlier this year when he actually bothered to visit Phil Gould in person.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
Here's the thing, there isn't one, there never was. It's assumed by many to be a fact that Penrith had a five year plan to win the competition. This urban myth has been used by every bitter, sarcastic moron on the internet as proof of the club's failure. Any time any Joe Blow or journo want to take a cheap shot at Gus Gould or the Panthers in general, out comes the old "5 year plan"
Gus has had a bit to say this week (not unusual) about our development programs which has led to articles such as this-
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-the-nrl-20170808-gxrktu.html?deviceType=text

The Penny seems to have finally dropped for Paul Kent at least. On NRL 360 he had this to say -
"I will tell you what, I went through our ("archive"-Ikin) system at work and I can't find Phil Gould quoted anywhere saying he had a five year plan to win the Premiership. What I could find was him saying was they inherited such a mess, it would take half a decade to turn around, didn't say a Premiership, half a decade which is five years to turn around, and I have to say, on that note, I think they've done the job"

No shit Kenty. Look no further than the pickled beetroot sitting opposite you once a week. Even he was set straight earlier this year when he actually bothered to visit Phil Gould in person.

It's always annoyed me how people throw out the 5 year plan thing as some kind of insult. Not the first time or the last facts will get in the way of the idiots looking to have a dig.

pandas

Juniors
Yep it is a cheap shot and the concept is fabricated. It's annoyed me quite a bit over the last few years but I just equate it with low IQ. Like if that's the best they can do you know? That title is just gonna be so much sweeter.

Tronald Crump

Juniors

No shit Kenty? Look no further than the pickled beetroot sitting opposite you once a week. Even he was set straight earlier this year when he actually bothered to visit Phil Gould in person.

I noticed when that turd visited the insults died down for a month. Then he started again.
His click bait isn't worth the effort because you can't argue with an idiot.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
At this point in time, our club will not recruit any NRL talent from rival clubs for season 2018."

That line concerns me a little. I am a strong believer in recruiting at least 1 or 2 players with NRL experience just to keep the roster fresh.
I have bad memories about 2001 season when we recruited no one. I have seen it happen with other clubs too. Players get comfortable and go stale. Competition for spots keeps them on their toes.
I realise our juniors are coming through stronger than a couple of years ago and they will hopefully fill the breach of new signings.
Plus I'd rather have a kid like CHN come through the grades than his opportunity be blocked by signing a bum like Joel Edwards.
I hope the balance will be right next year. Thats all.

Blues Riff

Bench
At this point in time, our club will not recruit any NRL talent from rival clubs for season 2018."

That line concerns me a little. I am a strong believer in recruiting at least 1 or 2 players with NRL experience just to keep the roster fresh.
I have bad memories about 2001 season when we recruited no one. I have seen it happen with other clubs too. Players get comfortable and go stale. Competition for spots keeps them on their toes.
I realise our juniors are coming through stronger than a couple of years ago and they will hopefully fill the breach of new signings.
Plus I'd rather have a kid like CHN come through the grades than his opportunity be blocked by signing a bum like Joel Edwards.
I'm the opposite Crumpy. That's the line that excites me the most. To me it's the true mark of success for a genuine sports club. I thinks we're a world away from those bad old days.

mxlegend99

Referee
Personally I am glad we aren't recruiting for 2018 from other clubs. None of our 2017 signings have improved us.

Our biggest signing has been a huge waste of money and arguably the worst decision Gus has made. James Tamou is not worth half of what he is getting.

OldPanther

Coach
Personally I am glad we aren't recruiting for 2018 from other clubs. None of our 2017 signings have improved us.

Our biggest signing has been a huge waste of money and arguably the worst decision Gus has made. James Tamou is not worth half of what he is getting.

Yes. The club is great at bringing up young talent. I'll take 1 or 2 teething years if it means playing to the clubs strengths rather than doing a Tamou deal every couple of years.

roofromoz

First Grade
Yeah, it's always pissed me off as well as it is often used as a cheap joke by the same people when wanting to put the club down.

Kent is a clown, but I at least thank him for trying to set the record straight. If only his muppet colleague Buzz Rothfield would agree, rather than his humourless Twitter hashtags.

roofromoz

First Grade

I think there may still be some announcements later in the year with some depth signings, such as what we did last year with Oldfield. But I do like this "build from within" philosophy - we have the largest junior league in the world, may as well finally start taking full advantage of it, and we definitely are with the 2013 and 2015 Holden Cup kids breaking through in the NRL. But having some "outsiders" is a necessity, particularly those with NRL experience as it will help the kids coming through.

roofromoz

First Grade
Been trying to find the article where he mentions 5 years to fix the mess. I do remember him saying it at the time in 2011.

So many dickheads think they're comic geniuses when they mention '[insert number here] year plan.

BxTom

Bench
Been trying to find the article where he mentions 5 years to fix the mess. I do remember him saying it at the time in 2011.

So many dickheads think they're comic geniuses when they mention '[insert number here] year plan.

Take your pick as to which one is true :)

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...ut-concerned-for-the-nrl-20170808-gxrktu.html

https://www.nospam47.com/au/other-s...ng-five-years-late/1u0b801xmr0vt1qoa17jkyd9qk

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/gould-says-five-year-plan-on-track