What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

50th Anniversary Game

King Ben

Juniors
There was an article on this earlier in the year, the last-minute compromise the NRL offered was to move this game against Newcastle to the Sunday. What a joke.

Anyway..
Screen_Shot_2017_03_31_at_12_59_44_am.png

M2D2

Bench
Looks like i wont be getting a jersey this year.
My wallet thanks the jersey design department.

Card Shark

Immortal
Just on this. Rob mentioned on SCTV that the club made one request to the NRL this year. They asked that on Sunday April 2 we play the Roosters to celebrate the anniversary of our first game

Why would they accommodate us, too many other teams to sort out first with their annual wishes.

Imagine if we were playing the unbeaten roosters...promoters dream!

Inferno

Coach
There was an article on this earlier in the year, the last-minute compromise the NRL offered was to move this game against Newcastle to the Sunday. What a joke.

Anyway..
Screen_Shot_2017_03_31_at_12_59_44_am.png

It would look terrific if it had a collar. But it doesn't so I think it's shit.

lolesi

First Grade
Sweet as Jersey. Keen as for tomorrrows game. Saturday afternoon beers and football. Hello good times

Card Shark

Immortal
I thought we would've played out of our skins on such an auspicious occasion.

Alas....things may improve now we are in our 51st year.

Quigs

Immortal
I thought we would've played out of our skins on such an auspicious occasion.

Alas....things may improve now we are in our 51st year.

You might be onto something there. It could be a turning point.

With most of our superstars commanding $900,000 plus contracts it could be all that they need to spark em up.

Quigs

Immortal
Do I get a special telegram from our Bestus Everest Most Loyalist, all time Greatest No1 Supporter.

I really enjoyed his speech yesterday congratulating the Club on its 51st Season Anniversary.

I still so estatic over the big celebratory game to worry right now.

@Quigs

67 Sharks to be honoured in the Sharks 50th year according to the Leader.
Too bad a certain ole Gymea boy doesn't get the Leader anymore, unless some good bloke sends it to him by mail.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4623007/67-sharks-to-be-honoured/?cs=1633

They were the pioneers for rugby league in the Sutherland Shire. The very first men to wear the famous black, white and blue.

Their place among the history of the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks is secure forever. And on May 12 they will come together at the Sharkies Leagues Club to be acknowledged.

The Men of League Foundation will host a luncheon to celebrate the 1967 Cronulla side, the club’s first ever first grade team, as part of the Sharks’ 50th year milestone.

The team of ‘67 paved the way for the club’s historic premiership-winning side of 2016. They were mostly a team of players looking for an opportunity and found it in the shire under coach Ken Kearney.

The Sharks won their first ever game, an 11-5 victory over Eastern Suburbs at the Sydney Sports Ground. Playing out of Sutherland Oval they also won their first home game, downing Parramatta 23-11 in round four.

While they eventually ran last in their inaugural season with three wins and a draw from their 22 games, they would help build a legacy.

Brian Cox, the fullback in the ‘67 team, told the Leader it was an honour to be remembered.

“We were the first and you can’t take that away from us,” he said.

“We’ll always be there as the first team. I’m very proud of that. We weren’t expected to win too many games in the year.

“When we came to Cronulla most of us were probably not making first grade at other clubs. But I remember there was exhilaration at being out there.”

It was a team full of characters. A man who became one of the greatest coaches in the game’s history, Warren Ryan, played in the centres. Halfback Terry Hughes won the first ever Rothmans Medal in 1968. His halves partner, Jack Danzey, became a leading referee.

Then, of course, was the club’s first ever captain. The great Monty Porter.

“We were seasoned footballers. There were a lot of characters who knew how to enjoy themselves,” Cox said.

“John Hynes, ‘Bomber’ we called him, would have a cigar after the game in the shower. And he’d come out with the cigar still in his mouth. I don’t know how he did it.

“Training was nothing like it is now. We’d train twice a week, Tuesday and Thursday nights usually. Blokes would work for 40 hours during the week then go to training at seven o’clock at night. It was a lot different back in those days.”

Former Sharks player Alan Wilson will MC the event and interview players past and present. There will also be a raffle.

Details: Brian Cox 0412 079 692, Denis Stapleton 0450 098 947, Bruce Thompson 0419 475 465

southland

Juniors
Is the 50th jersey going to be worn again this year? Beats the hell out of the black and yellow alt monstority.

Latest posts