What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

80s/90s wrestling superstars - where are they now

When I look at these names I find it very sad. How is someone like McMahon still in control? There is no doubt in my mind that he had a role to play in this

Macho Man - dead, had drug issues
Flair - still alive, but has had a lot of issues. Many breakdowns
Hogan - addicted to steroids for a long time but probably one of the better ones still standing
Boss Man - dead
Mr Perfect - dead
Rick Rude - dead
Road Warriors - animal, dead. Hawk don't know
Michaels - still doing ok but relatively speaking
Hart - f**ked from a wrestling accident
Warrior - dead
Andre - dead
Ted dibease - not sure
Scott hall - a complete f**k up, should be dead
Jake Roberts - see Scott hall
Luger - has had major breakdowns and drug addictions
Nash - probably one of the ones in a better position, has had a lot of substances though
Virgil - dead
Brutus - dead
Benoit - dead
Eddie - dead
Sting - still doing ok, better than anyone else overall
Undertaker - still doing well
HHH - doing well, but see Nash
XPac - a lot of drug issues
Steiner - well, still alive as far as I know but see xpac
Austin - ruined from wrestling but doing ok outside of that
Rock - doing ok
Awesome - dead
British bulldog - dead
Neidhart - dead
Yokozuna - dead
Earthquake - dead
Hacksaw - doing ok
Jericho - doing ok
Rakishi - dead
Scotty 2 Hotty - dead
Kanyon - dead
DDP - doing well
Giant - doing ok
Rey - doing ok

Makes it hard to watch old wrestling DVDs when I look at this :(

Ironically, the ECW guys have probably faired the best overall - raven, RVD, dreamer, sandman, taz, rhyno (or did he die?)

How does Vince still have a job?

Big Pete

Referee
New Jack says the bad blood between him and Mahoney began last year after one of Frank Goodman's Pro Wrestling XTreme events. Mahoney had taken a "ring rat" (term used for a girl or woman frequenting a wrestling event in attempt to sleep with the crew or wrestlers) back to the hotel after the matches and "gigged" her and himself (a term used when wrestlers intentionally cut themselves, typically with a razor, to provoke bleeding). The two reportedly used the blood in graphic, sexual manners and proceeded by vandalizing the hotel room, writing their names in blood on the walls, and leaving blood smeared on nearly everything.

ECW guys are doing real well.

When I look at these names I find it very sad. How is someone like McMahon still in control? There is no doubt in my mind that he had a role to play in this

Flair - still alive, but has had a lot of issues. Many breakdowns
Hogan - addicted to steroids for a long time but probably one of the better ones still standing
Boss Man - dead
Mr Perfect - dead
Rick Rude - dead
Road Warriors - animal, dead. Hawk don't know Hawk is dead, Animal still wrestles and trains part time
Michaels - still doing ok but relatively speaking
Hart - f**ked from a wrestling accident
Warrior - dead
Andre - dead
Ted dibease - not sure Alive - now a pastor
Scott hall - a complete f**k up, should be dead
Jake Roberts - see Scott hall Has been clean since hooking up with DDP
Luger - has had major breakdowns and drug addictions
Nash - probably one of the ones in a better position, has had a lot of substances though
Virgil - dead Alive, but appears to have some mental issues
Brutus - dead Alive
Benoit - dead
Eddie - dead
Sting - still doing ok, better than anyone else overall
Undertaker - still doing well
HHH - doing well, but see Nash
XPac - a lot of drug issues Clean for years
Steiner - well, still alive as far as I know but see xpac
Austin - ruined from wrestling but doing ok outside of that
Rock - doing ok
Awesome - dead
British bulldog - dead
Neidhart - dead Alive
Yokozuna - dead
Earthquake - dead
Hacksaw - doing ok
Jericho - doing ok
Rakishi - dead Alive - wrestles on the indy's
Scotty 2 Hotty - dead Alive - firefighter in Florida
Kanyon - dead
DDP - doing well
Giant - doing ok
Rey - doing ok

Makes it hard to watch old wrestling DVDs when I look at this :(

Ironically, the ECW guys have probably faired the best overall - raven, RVD, dreamer, sandman, taz, rhyno (or did he die?)

How does Vince still have a job?

See above. Also some deaths were nothing to do with wrestling. Earthquake died from cancer, Yokozuna from complications due to his weight, Mike Awesome + Chris Kanyon committed suicide, Andre The Giant from his growth condition. And those that died from steriod or drug use, such as Davey Boy Smith and Eddie Guerrero, also had long runs in NWA/WCW. So to push all wrestling deaths as Vince McMahon's fault is grossly negligent.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Well given some of the list is wrong
Some weren't wrestling related.

Sure there are some that are, but which wrestling stars SINCE the 90's have died wresting related?
Even of those wrestling related deaths pre 2000's, how many of those are directly accountable to Vince McMahon as opposed to the individual?

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Bret Hart was also screwed up from a stroke due to motorbike accident, but the kick to the head came first yeah. And Warrior was genetically predisposed to heart condition if reports about his father and grandfather are correct.

Having said that, there's no doubt a whole lot of the overdose/heart failure related deaths are directly attributable to the lifestyle of the wrestlers that came up in that 80s/90s period, be it by massive consumption of recreational drugs/alchohol or massive consumption of steroids/painkillers and other performance 'enhancing' drugs.

Valheru

Coach
From what I read Vince offers to pay for rehab and support any former employee who wants it which is more than I can say for most sporting organisations.

Some of the people you have mentioned didn’t even spend the majority of their careers working for Vince. Eddie for example had the vast majority of his issues whilst working for WCW, he then got clean but paid the price a few years later.

redvscotty

First Grade
What PWA said.

You also gave me a massive heart attack saying that my namesake was dead too you merkin.

DDP seems to be doing well, and it's great to see what he has done with Jake the Snake. Wasn't Hall doing heaps better with DDP as well?

I got his yoga DVDs and only did the 10 min Wake up session. It's pretty good!

All I'm saying is do some research otherwise we are spending the thread saying "well no, you're wrong" rather than discussing the issue.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I didn't make it up I was doing it off the top of my head idiot

Ok, what we will do is remove the incorrects and the still alives and it leaves us with...

Boss Man - dead
Mr Perfect - dead
Rick Rude - dead
Warrior - dead
Andre - dead
Benoit - dead
Eddie - dead
Awesome - dead
British bulldog - dead
Yokozuna - dead
Earthquake - dead
Kanyon - dead

Yokozuna was a very large man, hardly doubt his death is directly attributed to Vince McMahon, so we'll take him out. Earthquake as mentioned had cancer, and was also a very large man. Kanyon, Awesome and Benoit all suicides. Andre I don't think it was Vinnie Macs problem, so we'll take those out. If you've watched the Eddie doco, then you'll know that he was well on the juice long before his WWE run so cross him off the list.

Boss Man - dead
Mr Perfect - dead
Rick Rude - dead
Warrior - dead
British bulldog - dead

So there you have it folkes, 6 wrestlers from that long list that you can blame it on the culture. To do that though, you are forgoing any responsibility to the individual taking the juice and piling it all on Vinnie Mac. Just interested as to how many wrestlers from the 80s/90s wasn't on the juice? Sorry, it was the individual choices, not a company policy.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
That said, curious that Owen Hart was never mentioned
Not in terms of drug use, rather it was a stunt performed while Vinnie Mac was in charge. Havn't studied the matter, but I'd be interested to know whose idea it was.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
If we're talking about drug related deaths, I believe Bam Bam was another

2 others who have gone are Junkyard Dog and Texas Tornado, not sure if they were directly as a result of drug abuse.

This all said, Vince McMahon cannot be held accountable, there were far more superstars who have not died from drug abuse. Its similar to holding the Dairy owner or CEO of a cigarette company responsible for all the lung cancer deaths, at the end of the day its the individuals choices.

Ok, what we will do is remove the incorrects and the still alives and it leaves us with...

Boss Man - dead
Mr Perfect - dead
Rick Rude - dead
Warrior - dead
Andre - dead
Benoit - dead
Eddie - dead
Awesome - dead
British bulldog - dead
Yokozuna - dead
Earthquake - dead
Kanyon - dead

Yokozuna was a very large man, hardly doubt his death is directly attributed to Vince McMahon, so we'll take him out. Earthquake as mentioned had cancer, and was also a very large man. Kanyon, Awesome and Benoit all suicides. Andre I don't think it was Vinnie Macs problem, so we'll take those out. If you've watched the Eddie doco, then you'll know that he was well on the juice long before his WWE run so cross him off the list.

Boss Man - dead
Mr Perfect - dead
Rick Rude - dead
Warrior - dead
British bulldog - dead

So there you have it folkes, 6 wrestlers from that long list that you can blame it on the culture. To do that though, you are forgoing any responsibility to the individual taking the juice and piling it all on Vinnie Mac. Just interested as to how many wrestlers from the 80s/90s wasn't on the juice? Sorry, it was the individual choices, not a company policy.

Add Pillman and Bam Bam to the list for starters. Id love to have the time to do research but alas, life and work gets in the way sometimes

You can't take Benoit and Eddie off the list...they were taking drugs for a long time in the WWE and Vince didn't stop them. Same for Andre as far as I recall, didn't hogan or piper once say that they were all on it? Ditto for Earthquake and Yokozuna if my memory serves me

Yeh sure there is still individual responsibility but it's obvious Vince wanted his big buff guys in the 80s and 90s....he has a MAJOR part to play

Don't forget all the other guys who have f**ked their lives....hall, jake etc. they might not be dead but have broken down families, estranged wives etc etc

Latest posts