What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9 days until 2018 mayhem starts

Arnold

Juniors
I do question those using the cap increase as a reason to keep players.

The players already contracted for 2018 will have a piece of that pie already.

Any cap increase isn't just extra money for that year.

millersnose

Post Whore
Swings and merry go rounds
I don't subscribe to the theory that any player is a " must keep"
Players always move about
We just have to be in the position to sign good quality players in the great mix that is coming

Card Shark

Immortal
Exhibit A:

Andrew Fifita

We don't win the grand final without him & won't go near it next year if he does leave.

Understand your point but he's that good!

millersnose

Post Whore
I am his biggest fan

But the point remains that premierships have been won without him in the past many times
And will also be won without him many times in the future

I will say this though

He is worth any two other players
For example if it was a choice between bird and Holmes together against Fifita then I pick Fifita every time even with his baggage

Another aspect on all this is the part the media plays.
They are going to be throwing tripe around left, right and centre.
The stronger clubs will palm off speculations.

feeding frenzy

Juniors
Yep and I'd say most clubs and managers are already some steps ahead of the "official" date.

Slightly off topic but I have just stumbled across one of the best side steps I think I have ever seen. This kid is a rugby player out my way and there is big wraps on him in the rugby world...he would make one nippy half in league! I love how he just backs himself!

Signed with the Eels??

And thus out begins.....

High-profile stars headline a 250-strong list of players off contract at the end of next season
9c852976e77b55362d9fde5431fa012b

Dean Ritchie & Matt Logue, The Daily Telegraph
October 31, 2016 8:55pm
Subscriber only
9c852976e77b55362d9fde5431fa012b

MORE than $50 million worth of rugby league talent comes on the open market on Tuesday as the biggest silly season in NRL history begins.

Some of the game’s most high-profile stars headline a 250-strong list of players off contract at the end of next season.

Rival clubs are now free to negotiate with the likes of Johnathan Thurston, Anthony Milford, Shaun Johnson, Mitchell Pearce, Semi Radradra, Darius Boyd and Valentine Holmes.

Many clubs remain in limbo as players hold off committing to deals until a decision is made on the increase to the NRL salary cap from 2018.

A monster jump from $6.7m to $10.4m will mean big pay rises for players and a scramble for signatures.

But leading player agent Steve Gillis expected to see the game’s biggest stars to lock in deals shortly.

FRESH START: Farah is Taylor made for Maguire

a5cb472d2fe6fb89c6af41a875ea7efb

Valentine Holmes is off-contract at the Sharks.
“You’ll be noticing player movement sooner than usual,” Gillis said. “Despite the fact no-one knows what the salary cap will be, I anticipate the majority of players will move sooner rather than later in regards to securing their futures.

“The elite players are either in negotiations or will soon commence negotiations with their incumbent clubs or with others.”

While teams like Penrith have the bulk of their first-grade squad locked in on long-term deals, the Wests Tigers face a stern test to retain off-contract stars James Tedesco, Mitchell Moses, Luke Brooks and captain Aaron Woods.

Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe, who has 21 players off contract at the end of next season, confirmed the club had already started preliminary discussions to keep the vital quartet long-term.

“We are in the process of retention and acquisition and those conversations are underway,” Pascoe said. “We will be talking to the manager of those players and that will be happening behind closed doors.

“When there is an outcome we will let everyone know.”

Of the current Tigers squad, only forward Elijah Taylor remains without a contract for next season. Taylor has received significant interest from rugby union, but Pascoe said the club was confident of re-signing the New Zealand-born forward.

“Positive discussions continue,” he said.

Despite the Tigers' testing situation, Pascoe believed retention had become less complicated in recent seasons.

“If you’ve been able to establish and develop a culture from within, then I think it becomes an easier challenge,” Pascoe said. “It’s certainly still a challenge, but an easier one.”

Pascoe says the real test lies in signing new talent, especially when you’re not winning.

“It’s always challenging to attract new players unless you can offer up competitive advantages,” he said.

“Every club would be striving to achieve that through culture, team lists and facilities.

“We are certainly striving towards making sure this club is a place where players want to come to and stay at.”

The Tigers have signed Jamal Idris on a one-year deal for 2017 and Pascoe said the talented forward had already made an impact on the club.

“Jamal has been terrific so far,” he said. “Big Jamma comes in as a cult hero already.

“He is very popular among the fans and certainly has a lot of capability. He is working hard as we speak.”

Like the Tigers, the Roosters also have a host of stars off-contract in 2017 including Pearce,

Blake Ferguson, Aidan Guerra, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Dylan Napa

Daniel Tupou and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.

“It’s football’s new year,” Roosters chief executive John Lee said.

“There is a systematic approach that is applied by a lot of clubs. It’s about methodically going through the prioritisation of the re-signing of players. That’s a good system to have in place and one we’ve got at the Roosters.”

Lee was adamant Pearce would be a priority re-signing, despite his well-publicised off-field indiscretions.

“Absolutely. We have put last season behind us and he has had a good off-season, a good break,” Lee said.

“We look forward to Mitchell returning and training well in the lead-up to Christmas.”

Foran only has a one-year deal with New Zealand Warriors before once again becoming a free agent.

Retaining Radradra long-term will be a major focus for Parramatta, despite the Fijian flyer previously indicating a desire to play rugby union.

It will be the same for Penrith backline duo Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Dean Whare, who are already reportedly in the sights of rivals Manly.

THE 2017 OFF CONTRACT TALENT

Jack Bird (Cronulla)

Val Holmes (Cronulla)

Ben Barba (Cronulla)

Sosaia Feki (Cronulla)

Chad Townsend (Cronulla)

Matt Prior (Cronulla)

Mitchell Moses (Wests Tigers)

Luke Brooks (Wests Tigers)

James Tedesco (Wests Tigers)

Aaron Woods (Wests Tigers)

Adam Blair (Brisbane)

Darius Boyd (Brisbane)

Alex Glenn (Brisbane)

Ben Hunt (Brisbane)

Benji Marshall (Brisbane)

Josh McGuire (Brisbane)

Anthony Milford (Brisbane)

James Roberts (Brisbane)

Andrew McCullough (Brisbane)

Josh Reynolds (Canterbury)

Aiden Tolman (Canterbury)

Will Hopoate (Canterbury)

Ryan James (Gold Coast)

Chris McQueen (Gold Coast)

Brett Stewart (Manly)

Will Chambers (Melbourne)

Jordan McLean (Melbourne)

Billy Slater (Melbourne)

Ryan Hoffman (Warriors)

Shaun Johnson (Warriors)

Kieran Foran (Warriors)

Dane Gagai (Newcastle)

Gavin Cooper (Cowboys)

Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys)

Matt Scott (Cowboys)

Tim Mannah (Parramatta)

Semi Radradra (Parramatta)

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Penrith)

Dean Whare (Penrith)

Alex Johnston (Souths)

John Sutton (Souths)

Jordan Rapana (Canberra)

Jason Nightingale (Dragons)

Gareth Widdop (Dragons)

Blake Ferguson (Roosters)

Aidan Guerra (Roosters)

Shaun Kenny-Dowall (Roosters)

Michael Gordon (Roosters)

Mitchell Pearce (Roosters)

Daniel Tupou (Roosters)

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Roosters)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/9c852976e77b55362d9fde5431fa012b

bluefox68

Staff member
Out of the players listed as 'off-contract' for us, Chad is replaceable - by Nu Brown. Maloney is the real playmaker. So, I would offer Chad a low contract.

Feki is also replaceable... He's solid, but not a star.

Jack Bird (Cronulla) Would like to keep him obviously. Fills multiple positions. has the arrogance of a winner.

Val Holmes (Cronulla) Kangaroo and future origin rep. Keep Humphrey.

Ben Barba (Cronulla) He's not even that old. I would keep Barba in the team.

Sosaia Feki (Cronulla) Most expendable out of this lot yet..i like feki. wouldn't surprise me if we kept him TBH.

Chad Townsend (Cronulla) Solid halfback in this league. He and Maloney gelled really well. He's got a lot of experience and is young. Chad is a fine player.

Matt Prior (Cronulla) Hes been great for us we will be easily able to retain him one would think unless a team like the knights gives him a fat contract he cant say no to.

Mitchell Moses (Wests Tigers) Hype. No.

Luke Brooks (Wests Tigers) Rubbish.

im not sure which is the good player out of the two tigers halves.

James Tedesco (Wests Tigers) Hell yeah but if we are looking keeping Barba and Val...or Val at fullback there isn't much point.
Made of Biscuit.

Aaron Woods (Wests Tigers) No. Woods is one of the most over rated players in the game. Dead set remember when we used to have a go at Ryles? this guy is Ryles with more hair.

Adam Blair (Brisbane) On a cheap deal maybe. does a job. grub as.

Darius Boyd (Brisbane) He only plays for bennett.

Alex Glenn (Brisbane) Yes. but he would be a player Brisbane want to keep they rarely lose anyone they want to keep.

Ben Hunt (Brisbane) No

Benji Marshall (Brisbane) HAHAHAHA

Josh McGuire (Brisbane) yeah he's a good player but he looks like the kind of simple merkin that would get homesick.

Anthony Milford (Brisbane) Big Yes but cant hardly see him leaving Brisbane. guy is star.

James Roberts (Brisbane) Big Yes. Great talent. has off field issues. oh well. he's fast as f**k.

Andrew McCullough (Brisbane) Yeah he goes alright but we have brailey coming through

Josh Reynolds (Canterbury) I like Josh. I don't know what position he suits. but I like him. maybe?
would suit the flanno style. can he play hooker?

Aiden Tolman (Canterbury) No.

Will Hopoate (Canterbury) No. doesn't play sundays. religion is dumb.

Ryan James (Gold Coast) YES YES YES YES YES

Chris McQueen (Gold Coast) Yeah look if you could get a guy like him, premiership player, origin rep. would come cheapish.

Brett Stewart (Manly) He wont last the end of the year. No.

Will Chambers (Melbourne) He's a really good player. Id take him in a heart beat. has issues passing the ball to his wing..or inside. or at all.

Billy Slater (Melbourne) A champion player. but he should retire. doesn't need to prove anything in this league. why is he on this list?

Ryan Hoffman (Warriors) Nah

Shaun Johnson (Warriors) Yeah look, if we could get SJ away the comfort of mediocrity at the warriors id be all for that. imagine him with a real coach and fans that put pressure on to perform.

Kieran Foran (Warriors) Hahaha, No Way. FKL. TAB.

Dane Gagai (Newcastle) No

Gavin Cooper (Cowboys) No.

Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys) No way he leaves the Cows. Champion player. Conspiracy theorist. he wouldn't play for Cronulla.

Matt Scott (Cowboys) No. The dude is like 32 or something back is rooted.

Tim Mannah (Parramatta) No.

Semi Radradra (Parramatta) Yes. DV thing pending the guy is a try scorer.

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Penrith) No

Dean Whare (Penrith) Nah

Alex Johnston (Souths) Have a look at him but he seems a bit off the boil and a bit injury prone.

John Sutton (Souths) Yeah the boys. No. He's a Souths player. will only play good for Souths.

Jordan Rapana (Canberra) YEEESSSS. merkin does damage with his runs. great in supprort

Jason Nightingale (Dragons) Good player. Ageing winger. No

Gareth Widdop (Dragons) f**k No

Blake Ferguson (Roosters) Get f**ked you f**king f**kwit

Aidan Guerra (Roosters) No

Shaun Kenny-Dowall (Roosters) Maybe......he runs hard and that's what we like in our backs but is an absolute spaz.
he's a rich mans pommeroy.

Michael Gordon (Roosters) No. been there.

Mitchell Pearce (Roosters) No thank you.

Daniel Tupou (Roosters) Nah. Blocking on kicks has killed what he was good at. average otherwise. feki just as good.

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Roosters) Yes. but that would be so unlikely. imagine JWH and Fifita in the same team.

Stake Removed

First Grade
I cannot see Feki, CT or Prior leaving end of 2017, unless receive offer that is way over ours.

Flanno has these guys playing to there potential, risk of going somewhere else is low, as said unless over is way overs.

bluefox1968

Juniors
I cannot see Feki, CT or Prior leaving end of 2017, unless receive offer that is way over ours.

Flanno has these guys playing to there potential, risk of going somewhere else is low, as said unless over is way overs.
Agree, STAKE, your comments are getting better - you must be on some powerful meds... ;-)