What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9th Immortal

Typical of the shyte NRL website.

Steve Rogers played for Cronulla in an Australian Jersey.

Wally Lewis played for Valleys in an Australian Jersey.

Wayne Peace played for Balmain in an Australian Jersey.

Brett Kenny played for Parramatta in an Australian Jersey.

Gene Miles played for Wynnum-Manly in a QLD Jersey.

Alan Langer played for Ipswich holding the Winfield Cup with Tina Turner...

Many errors, Steve Walters, Brad Clyde, Brad Fittler, my favourite Lazarus V Wests (actually Penrith)....the list is long.

Who proof reads this stuff, I Bleed Maroon?

You didn't read the article it quite clearly says at the top of the article - "in order of when they made their first-class rugby league debut."

Hence the caption is not of the photo but the details of the player's inaugural first-class game.

I mean if it was meant to be thecaption of the photo, have a look at the photos for Daniel Frawley (No. 7), Viv Thicknesse (No. 34), Bary Muir (No. 60), Les Johns (No. 66), Graeme Langland (No. 68) and Arthur Beetson (No. 72). I mean with Frawley and Thicknesse they are wearing suits, whereas with the others the photos are from 20+ years after they finished playing.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
If people are talking about Messenger being inducted, may I nominate......

......Moses.

Not Mitchell Moses but THE Moses who played for the Bethlehem Bullrushes back in 165 BC.

They tell me that he was one helluva hooker and had a head as hard as stone.

Its been mentioned soooo many times that nobody can give us a first person account of how well Messenger played.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
with these new rules and criteria, it will be 2 decades at least before smith/thurston/lockyer and co get even a sniff of being near joey's status.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
You didn't read the article it quite clearly says at the top of the article - "in order of when they made their first-class rugby league debut."

Hence the caption is not of the photo but the details of the player's inaugural first-class game.

I mean if it was meant to be thecaption of the photo, have a look at the photos for Daniel Frawley (No. 7), Viv Thicknesse (No. 34), Bary Muir (No. 60), Les Johns (No. 66), Graeme Langland (No. 68) and Arthur Beetson (No. 72). I mean with Frawley and Thicknesse they are wearing suits, whereas with the others the photos are from 20+ years after they finished playing.
I stand corrected

Perth Tiger

Bench
Add Frank Burge too.

It is not that hard if we are talking about the players who have had the greatest impact on the game to read the reports and look at the achievements of the pre war players and select 5 or whatever players that deserve to sit at the top of the rugby league pantheon.

It would be more likely that some deserving pre war players would miss out rather than unfairly recognize someone to sit among the great.

Last edited:
I would not be surprised that if they announce 2 new immortals, 1 will be a player from pre WW2 and the other will be from post WW2.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I would not be surprised that if they announce 2 new immortals, 1 will be a player from pre WW2 and the other will be from post WW2.
from the way they are setting it up that is almost guaranteed. Probably follow that method every time there is a new induction

from the way they are setting it up that is almost guaranteed. Probably follow that method every time there is a new induction

Yeah I think some people panicked when they heard “up to two” every four years, but once the pre war players are included I suspect it’ll settle down to just one every four years. And if they’re smart we may even go some cycles without any inclusions.

Yeah I think some people panicked when they heard “up to two” every four years, but once the pre war players are included I suspect it’ll settle down to just one every four years. And if they’re smart we may even go some cycles without any inclusions.

That is very possible. The way it reads they can vote in up to 2 new ones every four years, but that does not mean they have to vote in any if the final voting committee don't deem the proposed candidates worthy enough.

As to those asking whether Brian Bevan is eligible for immortal status, he is. One of the eligibility criteria for Immortal Status is the player "Must be a member of the NRL Hall of Fame". So you have to be admitted to the Hall of Fame first before you can be considered for Immortal Status.

The pdf which you can download via the link at the bottom of this article from the NRL makes that crystal clear.

King hit

Coach
Courier mail having a whinge that Thurston won’t be in the running. Wonder if the morons know you need to be retired for a while before getting a look in.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Last immortal racially slurred Greg Inglis and was a routine drug user his entire career, does being an immortal mean anything anymore?