What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9th Immortal

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Glenn Lazarus should be in the talks, best prop forward of his generation and up there as one of the best of all time, he is the only guy to win a premiership at three different clubs.

In fact their are plenty of blokes who should be in the conversation that won't be cause of politics and publicity...

And selling their arse for a quick buck

King hit

Coach
Whoever it maybe the fact that the NRL are in charge of the award has definitely raised the credibility of it.

ed-grimley

Bench
Whoever it maybe the fact that the NRL are in charge of the award has definitely raised the credibility of it.
Apart from it being a dumb concept, it lacks credibility because of the players they haven't honoured with the award up to now. They can’t go back and award it to players from the 50's and 60's - that would just look stupid.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Apart from it being a dumb concept, it lacks credibility because of the players they haven't honoured with the award up to now. They can’t go back and award it to players from the 50's and 60's - that would just look stupid.
Agree. Not that I don't think Provan doesn't deserve the accolade but if he wasn't picked in the first round over or alongside Churchill, Raper, Gasnier and Fulton how can he get picked now?

I'm going Lockyer. Timing seems right.

If not him Luke Davico.

Todd Hoffman

Juniors
Agree. Not that I don't think Provan doesn't deserve the accolade but if he wasn't picked in the first round over or alongside Churchill, Raper, Gasnier and Fulton how can he get picked now?

From memory at the time there was a suggestion that picking Provan was one to many St George players at the time. Not that I am discrediting the other Immortals.

If it was up to me as now owners of the concept I would do a one off and pick several names of the past.
Just to clear it up.
Provan, Irvine, Ron Coote, etc and then 1 or 2 modern ones.

hrundi99

First Grade
Not too fussed if Meninga gets in. A giant of a player in my eyes.

Out of curiosity what do you mean by the sentiment was correct?

The sentiment was that up until the early to mid 90s most players weren't paid very much relative to the income made (or potentially made) by the league, and that they should be paid more based on how important they are to the league and the money it generates.

There's a reason why Men of League exists.

King hit

Coach
The sentiment was that up until the early to mid 90s most players weren't paid very much relative to the income made (or potentially made) by the league, and that they should be paid more based on how important they are to the league and the money it generates.

There's a reason why Men of League exists.

Meninga made hundreds of thousands before he retired from the game. Very arrogant and disrespectful in the way he carried on.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Meninga made hundreds of thousands before he retired from the game. Very arrogant and disrespectful in the way he carried on.
A guy makes one stupid remark and all of a sudden his whole glorious career is brushed.

Ftr, I don't think Mal is in the same category as the other players deemed immortal.

Reactions: Vee

Valheru

Coach
As sure as the day is long it will be Lockyer... complete with a 'testimonial' match pre-season next year between the Broncos and Storm with the gate going to him and Smith.

JJ

Immortal
Whole thing is a bit silly now - but I am still not clear on why the likes of Lockyer, Meninga and Casty are talked about, when Sterling, Kenny, Fittler, and Lazarus are not

Too late for Provan IMO - and besides despite the premierships etc, England were stronger than Australia then?

But a HOF is much better, the likes of those I mentioned, plus Daley, Stuart, Clyde, Langer and other should be recognised better