What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A-League fans boycott

langpark

First Grade
Seems to still be steadily escalating. I wonder if the FFA will start to back down.

Respect to Mark Bosnich. Great pundit in my opinion, not afraid to speak his mind and to speak out for the fans!!

Wizardman

First Grade
For once, I agree with Hadley here. If you turn up to the football and behave yourself, you will be okay. If you proceed to behave like an asshole, then you should piss off.

langpark

First Grade
For once, I agree with Hadley here. If you turn up to the football and behave yourself, you will be okay. If you proceed to behave like an asshole, then you should piss off.
See this is what I do not understand (and I'd appreciate if someone could explain to me exactly what's going on. I don't live in Aus anymore and am a bit out of the loop).

I'm reading that 198 fans have been banned from matches and they have no actual way to appeal (or didn't up until the other day). What I'd like to know is, what exactly did all these people do to deserve the ban? Because I find it hard to believe that so many could have done something so terrible to warrant such a ban.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Generally people are innocent until proven guilty, in this case is guilty until proven innocent.

Its going to be difficult for some people to "prove" innocence. You basically have to prove that you were not at the game and if they have your credit card purchase details, you're gone.

From what I have read, they do not have to prove you were guilty.

When the FFA say they will "cave and allow appeals" they really are not saying much.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
We want to protect their identity and that’s an important part of the system.

lol, giving their details to the media suggest otherwise

Lowy, who again rammed home the zero-tolerance policy on anti-social behaviour, promised a review of FFA’s unpopular banning process, adding a new policy should be finalised by the next board meeting in February.

He said it would involve extensive consultation with all stakeholders, including fans.

But supporters reacted furiously to FFA’s stance that while it would address the possibility of making evidence against banned fans transparent, it was far from a done deal.

The issue of confidentiality is a complex one, with FFA largely relying on vision supplied by police and security bodies.

But it’s understood a condition of this agreement is that such footage is not legally allowed to be given to third parties.

“It (also) occasionally comes from fans themselves on the basis it doesn’t become disclosed that they gave it to us,” Gallop said.

“On the one hand, you want to have transparency and, on the other, you want to protect the ability to get that information.”

The Wanderers’ active supporter group the Red and Black Bloc (RBB) and Melbourne Victory’s North Terrace responded with Facebook posts declaring they would both boycott their clubs’ games indefinitely until FFA changed its procedures and relationship with its biggest stakeholders.

They reiterated their demand for transparent evidence and an end to the involvement of security firm Hatamoto, also accusing the “out of touch” organisation of substantiating bans based on hearsay.

“Football fans in this country are sick of being treated like second-class citizens, being watched by anti-terrorist groups, surrounded by riot police weekly, and treated with less regard by our governing body than those on trial for murder,” North Terrace’s statement read.

http://indaily.com.au/sport/soccer/2015/12/04/a-league-fans-vow-indefinite-boycott/

langpark

First Grade
Generally people are innocent until proven guilty, in this case is guilty until proven innocent.

Its going to be difficult for some people to "prove" innocence. You basically have to prove that you were not at the game and if they have your credit card purchase details, you're gone.

From what I have read, they do not have to prove you were guilty.

When the FFA say they will "cave and allow appeals" they really are not saying much.
Yeah that's the most bizarre part of all. Expecting citizens to somehow produce 'evidence' of their innocence. When they don't have access to all that data nor to video footage. It should be the other way around, the FFA should be able to prove that they are guilty.

I also read something about fans not happy with kickoff times. Apparently Fox Sports dictating and some matches are being playing in very hot conditions. Is that also part of the reason for the boycotts?

Gina Minehart

Juniors
A-League should play next rounds games behind closed doors...f**k the sooky fans burning their bras outside the ground

Last edited:

thorson1987

Coach
That's what it's all about, people should have the right to appeal.

Also the lack of support from the admin. (which let's face it, you will never get from Gallop).

Whilst I understand the FFA can't be seen to be condoning some of the shit that has resulted in these bans, to not have the balls to come out quickly and label Wilsons article as absolutely disgusting by printing the names and photos (and apparently they got a fair few wrong) and also having a go at Jones for labelling fans as terrorists (which Gallop wouldn't do anyway considering what he said about Storm fans in 2010) is where they have completely f**ked it up.

I am enjoying seeing the A League fans starting to see the real Gallop though, when it was the success of the Socceroos and even the Wankerers in Asia that has got the game to where it is, and had nothing to do with him.

Latest posts