What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A lesson in history

braz

Juniors
In 1999 that great south sydney supporter andrew denton was making his case for why souths should stay in the comp. him and all the other celebrity supporters of the pride of the league were out in force.

hmmm, why are souths the peoples team? - oh thats right, its because when dweebs like denton were growing up they were the most succesful club. so using that rationale in 20 years time the roosters will be the new peoples team. oh geez i can't wait.

anyway - i digress. back to andy. he is on the footy show and he is sprouting his sermon about souths and he comes up with the theory that the western suburbs magpies should be kicked out of the comp. that's right a fellow foundation club should be made extinct.

now denton's rationale was simple. the magpies just aren't competitive. well:

1996: made the finals
1997: missed the finals by one win
1998: wooden spoon
1999: wooden spoon.

looking at the performances of south sydney over the last two seasons, i feel it is only fair that the same rationale be applied.

2002: 2nd last (only because dogs cheat)
2003: wooden spoon.

As bad as the magpies were in 1999 they also managed the same amount of wins as south sydney this year - 3. it should be noted that we hadn't spent a fraction of the money that the rabbits have on their team either.

Well, Andrew and Souths - 4 years on and you are back in the comp and now you are the uncompetitive ones. Surely, we should all be pushing for your exclusion or merger or relocation.

It seems what goes around comes around ;-)

CASSIE

Juniors
Post above by a West supporter....Enough said....does the word "Merged"ring a bell?ding dong... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rastus

Juniors
braz said:
In 1999 that great south sydney supporter andrew denton was making his case for why souths should stay in the comp. him and all the other celebrity supporters of the pride of the league were out in force.

hmmm, why are souths the peoples team? - oh thats right, its because when dweebs like denton were growing up they were the most succesful club. so using that rationale in 20 years time the roosters will be the new peoples team. oh geez i can't wait.

anyway - i digress. back to andy. he is on the footy show and he is sprouting his sermon about souths and he comes up with the theory that the western suburbs magpies should be kicked out of the comp. that's right a fellow foundation club should be made extinct.

looking at the performances of south sydney over the last two seasons, i feel it is only fair that the same rationale be applied.

As bad as the magpies were in 1999 they also managed the same amount of wins as south sydney this year - 3. it should be noted that we hadn't spent a fraction of the money that the rabbits have on their team either.

Well, Andrew and Souths - 4 years on and you are back in the comp and now you are the uncompetitive ones. Surely, we should all be pushing for your exclusion or merger or relocation.

At last!! A rational Wests supporter :D . To begin with, those were the sentiments of AD and not neccessarily those of other Souths supporters.

Secondly, Souths were kicked out of the NRL and therefore had to re-build from the ground up. They lost juniors such as Wing as Anasta as a result. Wests on the other hand did not have that problem.Understand that I am only pointing this out because being outed for two years has certainly not aided our climb up the NRL ladder. Look at all the other teams (with the exception of Brisbane & Melbourne that had arm chair rides) that first came into the comp - there debuts were less than spectacular.

One could also argue that the Wests Tigers had an armchair ride with massive salary cap excemptions to start with, but honestly, what have they got to show for it.

braz

Juniors
rastus said:
braz said:

At last!! A rational Wests supporter :D . To begin with, those were the sentiments of AD and not neccessarily those of other Souths supporters.

Secondly, Souths were kicked out of the NRL and therefore had to re-build from the ground up. They lost juniors such as Wing as Anasta as a result. Wests on the other hand did not have that problem.Understand that I am only pointing this out because being outed for two years has certainly not aided our climb up the NRL ladder. Look at all the other teams (with the exception of Brisbane & Melbourne that had arm chair rides) that first came into the comp - there debuts were less than spectacular.

One could also argue that the Wests Tigers had an armchair ride with massive salary cap excemptions to start with, but honestly, what have they got to show for it.

i am merely pointing out the hypocrital nature of your merged scum call. in truth souths were out to save their skins at the expense of anyone and had discussions regarding mergers also.

don't forget wests were kicked out twice in the early eighties but fought to be reinstated long before your battle with murdoch.

souths are following in the footsteps of the wests tigers in 2000 with their stupid decisions. appointing langmack as coach (a great player at wests but a known whiteant) as coach is not disimilar to the tigers with t lamb.

signing of ego-centric trouble makers like hill, craigie, walker etc etc only furthers this point.

the wests tigers to our credit have signed a credible coach in tim sheens and appointed a mixture of experience and guts with sattler, graham and hodgson and youth with prince, reynolds etc.

it should also be noted that wests finished ahead of souths in premier league, jersey flegg and sg ball and came fourth in the club championship. ;-)

braz

Juniors
CASSIE said:
Post above by a West supporter....Enough said....does the word "Merged"ring a bell?ding dong... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

it's trolls like yourself that make my sympathy for south sydney disappear faster than a line of cocaine at a souths function.

you are just fortunate your wooden spoons have come in 2002/3 rather than the late nineties.

may another one follow

CASSIE

Juniors
braz said:
CASSIE said:

it's trolls like yourself that make my sympathy for south sydney disappear faster than a line of cocaine at a souths function.

you are just fortunate your wooden spoons have come in 2002/3 rather than the late nineties.

may another one follow

Your the one trolling here..I am a Souths supporter,your are a merged team supporter,with no past or future... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

terracesider

Juniors
braz said:
why are souths the peoples team?

When Australian Rugby League made its Faustian pact with Murdoch, Souths was not seduced by the Devil's pelf. Rather, Souths fought long, hard and ultimately successfully to retain their identity as a sports club representative of, and firmly rooted in, the community from which they originated. Souths can therefore be said to represent the people, as opposed to corporate interests.

I suspect that certain people are now deeply regretting that their own teams did not retain their identities and feel envious of Souths who did, which is why they dislike Souths' very existence and wish to see them removed.

Anyway, congratulations to Wests on their successful season in making the top 3. Hold on. Which way up does this damn table go? Where's the instructions.....

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If that's the way we're supposed to read the ladder then, congratulations souths slops for picking up the minor premiership. :lol:

Tigerpete

Juniors
In that case i'll offer my congrats as well. we did our best trying to win the premiership but somehow we won too many games this season. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Slugs

Tigerpete said:
In that case i'll offer my congrats as well. we did our best trying to win the premiership but somehow we won too many games this season. :lol: :lol: :lol:

.....and back to the top

MERGED SCUM :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RifRaf

Juniors
rastus said:
They lost juniors such as Wing as Anasta as a result.
Both of which had the option to come over when Dunnys came back only to turn it down.... Even with a family member running the joint in one case... What does this tell you????? Luckily next time there will be no court case, Souths are imploding, this obvious to see for all those not blinded by the delightful combination of red and green... White anting as pointed out earlier is at epedemic levels... It's like watching a car accident in slow motion.....

Having Souths in the comp is like having 4 bye rounds, for most teams anyway. They add nothing to the comp and never will. Someone should take the vermin to the Vet instead of watching it die a slow death.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like to watch them suffer though. Like being stabbed to death with a spoon, maybe even a wooden one :lol: :lol:

Briza

Juniors
Gassie are you implying that the mixo's have a future??? :lol: where at Gosford :lol: :lol: :lol:

SS1908

Juniors
RifRaf said:
rastus said:
They lost juniors such as Wing as Anasta as a result.
Both of which had the option to come over when Dunnys came back only to turn it down.... Even with a family member running the joint in one case... What does this tell you????? Luckily next time there will be no court case, Souths are imploding, this obvious to see for all those not blinded by the delightful combination of red and green... White anting as pointed out earlier is at epedemic levels... It's like watching a car accident in slow motion.....

Anasta did not have the option of coming back when Souths re-entered the comp because just before we won the court case, Canterbury signed him up to the dodgy huge pay until the end of 2005.. Get the facts straight wanker..

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
SS, you must be special-your still allowed to swear and call people names-who's arse is your nose in. I demand Justice :twisted:

HappyTiger

Juniors
My guess is Ratsarse.Its becoming popular first Slugs was all over him like a rash and now SS wants a go.Well as they say "keeping it all in the family" :lol: :lol:

Latest posts