What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Short History of the BRL & Qld Cup after the Broncos

rwaite

Juniors
Hi guys,

I have been assisting Steve Haddan with a book that he is writing on the history of the Brisbane Rugby League competition similar to the NRL Finals book that he has published. He hopes to have this one out some time next year.

Here is a link to some appendices I have submitted for his project covering the history of the BRL and Qld Cup after the entry of the Broncos:

http://rogerswebsite.com/League/PostBroncosEra.pdf

Please feel free to offer feedback. I am hoping this era will be doubled in size over what is covered in this pdf.

The Partisan

Could you ask Steve to return my Sean Fagan 'Rugby Rebellion' book i lent him a couple of years back ??? :D

Your input looks Ok to me...though must admit I've only had a quick skim here at work when the boss was in a meeting :p

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I have had a reasonable read of it and that is a great job - well written, comprehensive and what these competitions deserve.

Just a point of query around the entry of the Broncos into the NSWRL - were the BRL voting about the Broncos bid specifically or the concept in general? I would be interested in the order of what unfolded.

rwaite

Juniors
I have had a reasonable read of it and that is a great job - well written, comprehensive and what these competitions deserve.

Just a point of query around the entry of the Broncos into the NSWRL - were the BRL voting about the Broncos bid specifically or the concept in general? I would be interested in the order of what unfolded.

As best as I understand it, it was a vote on a Brisbane team going in, not specifically the Broncos which was decided by the QRL I think.

Steve went over the history of it all the other day and what became of the agreement.

The QRL admin had done some dodgy things and the chairman publicly at a function made some especially disparaging remarks about the Broncos which they were about to sue over.

When approached by the NSWRL about the legal action they asked what could be done to stop the action and they agreed to cut the 30% profit agreement out in return for dropping the action.

I can understand the Broncos being dirty with the QRL admin who the BRL clubs didn't like either but it was the clubs who were supposed to be the direct beneficiaries of the profit money (which started to kick in during the Broncos 3rd season).

I don't know why the Broncos couldn't bypass the BRL admin and pay direct to the clubs (which would have likely prevented the loss of Valleys, Brothers and Wests) or how it was that the NSWRL had the authority to grant the cutting out of that condition. I still need to find out more about it with Steve and maybe Gary Balkin who I have spoken to about it some time ago.

rwaite

Juniors
Could you ask Steve to return my Sean Fagan 'Rugby Rebellion' book i lent him a couple of years back ??? :D

Your input looks Ok to me...though must admit I've only had a quick skim here at work when the boss was in a meeting :p

I'll try and remind him of that for you.

The Partisan

All good !

I've seen Steve a couple of times in the last 12 months and he assures me that I'll see it again ...one day !

Looking forward to the finished product.

Next will be a Bulimba Cup book hopefully ! ;-)

rwaite

Juniors
All good !

I've seen Steve a couple of times in the last 12 months and he assures me that I'll see it again ...one day !

There is a Bulimba Cup book out there already. My scans of it are a bit dodgy so need to borrow it again at some stage. I'll try and see if any hard copies are available otherwise I'll need to make a pdf copy of it.

I'd like to collect the newspaper reports of all the Bulimba Cup games some time and compile it all together like I did for the BRL comp - http://rogerswebsite.com/League/AHistoryofBrisbaneRugbyLeague1909-2012.pdf (900MB)

XXXX Cap

Juniors
The funding issue with the Broncos start up is one of the great mysteries, and certainly turning points, of Rugby league in Brisbane.

There is an excellent book available covering all of the Bulimba Cup games from the Ipswich point of view.

Diehards

Juniors
Roger - error regarding 1988.

Seagulls-Diehards was for 2 years 1987 & 1988. They reverted back to Valleys in 1989

I have also found that Valleys 1990 team photo for you as well

Brutus

Referee
And they flopped big time in 87.

Big Bill Hardy and Steve Hegarty couldn't save 'em that year.

The Partisan

All good !

Book back in my keeping ! Bet you are all ecstatic to hear this news !:D

Caught up with Mr Haddan this morning. BRL GF book coming along nicely.

We forumers must have a BRL / QRL pre season 'meet and greet' this year ! :)

rwaite

Juniors
Roger - error regarding 1988.

Seagulls-Diehards was for 2 years 1987 & 1988. They reverted back to Valleys in 1989

I have also found that Valleys 1990 team photo for you as well

Could you email me a copy of that 1990 photo (rogwaite@gmail.com)?

Thanks for the info about 1987.

Mr Formaldehyde

Juniors
Perhaps a bit more trivia from the era would add interest. Example - for some of the post Broncos BRL years there was an organised Pre-Season comp - The Commonwealth Bank Pre-Season Challenge. This ended abruptly after the CBA pulled their sponsorship after an all in brawl in a schoolboys game. The winners were blah blah blah.

Also, I may have missed it but has the other ill-fated Valleys merger been mentioned? Caboolture-Valleys in '95 I think - complete with the Caboolture Snakes yellow stripe down their back!

Latest posts