What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A tribute to Ozzie - GET INVOLVED

Monk

Referee
Ok, i thought wee should have an official thread for our tribute's to Ozzie as he was one of the most genuine and knowledgable people on LU. in this thread we will post our most memorable quotes of Ozzie etc.

This will also be the thread where we organise our Ozzie tribute Week/Month, we have decided it to be the week/month following Australia Day becasue that seems most fitting.

Henriete is doing all of the mod stuff neccesary and i will put this thread in my sig to raise awarness and i will see if i can get Timmah or Pumba to make an Ozzie tribute banner or have the "Roosters 2008" one modified slightly so as to be more of a tribute or something.

if anyone has more ideas then feel free to throw them in, LETS MAKE THIS HUGE!

Also, would like your opinion of a few of the little things.:

Should we use his "roosters 08" banner, perhaps a slightly modified version of that banner, or a newly made tribute banner. as the banner in our signature during Ozzie week/month

How long after Australia day should the tributes last, eg. Ozzie Week, Ozzie Month, 14days etc.

cheers, Monk.

henrieté

Juniors
The crew from other clubs who want to be involved if you could go to your respective forums and create a thread that would be great.

We will use this thread to post any comments you would like included and funny stories about Ozzie.

On Australia Day we will create a thread with your tributes.

P.M either Monk or me if you like to submit something that you don't want published until Australia Day.

Monk & I will continue to bump this thread.

Monk

Referee
The crew from other clubs who want to be involved if you could go to your respective forums and create a thread that would be great.

We will use this thread to post any comments you would like included and funny stories about Ozzie.

On Australia Day we will create a thread with your tributes.

P.M either Monk or me if you like to submit something that you don't want published until Australia Day.

Monk & I will continue to bump this thread.

what do you want me to do about the banner?

henrieté

Juniors
I personally would like a new one. Could you check out with whoever does them and maybe they can create a new one.

The only "suggestions" I would make is that Easts be included and our original emblem.

I will leave the rest to you Monk... Trust you implicitly.

i'd love to rock a banner ... but alas i can't

i'm going to go dig into the roosters archive's because had a memorable moment or three with him

henrieté

Juniors
I think a day would be ok, and if we make it Australia Day, that would be the most appropriate.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
A week is a good idea.

Probably a good idea to ask Timmah etc to start thinking about a banner now (in case they are on holidays over the next few weeks).

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
No holidays here, I'll get moving on the banner sometime between now and Christmas. It's probably best it's a new banner as the Roosters 2008 he last had was a generic banner I made and was used by plenty of people who probably never knew him.

Should have something within the week, I'll try to base it on the 08 design though.

melon....

Coach
Oz,

Where are you mate. Are you still with us?

I met Ozzie at the SFS in 2002. He was up with Chook and Spanner (RIP - Another Easts Legend that left us too soon). We met at the old stomping ground behind Bay 13 at half time. Brain had photos of Benny from Abba, who was a dead set ringer for a wallster called Socrates. Or as Trewhella called him "Suckmycockrates". His shrine up on the concrete pylons was there so we knew where to meet. It was the Wallsters first real get together other than the usual crims in The Chookpen (Bay 15 back then) and the corporate farts in Bays 14 and 13.

Ozzie was there. In his faded 1975 old school Tricoloured Jersey. We had a beer and a chat. Talked about the old days when men were men and Lycra wasnt an option for a jersey.

We formed the first Easts Forum 7s side that won the the title on Rleague. We backed it up with aplomb when the war divided that place and LU was born. I handed the armband to Ozzie who took them to another title I think ...or at least another Grand Final.

He was a gentleman. A kind, fair, caring bloke. I havent met anyone that loves his Roosters more than this bloke. Actually I havent met any other supporter that loved his league more than Ozzie.

When he wasnt at the game, he was tucked away at the Yass hotel still yelling at Rabbits Warren, still cheering a Fittler cutout to Hodges or Minichiello. He was there when Horrie was doing that sh*t at Henson. He was there when Artie led the greatest lineup the game has seen to 19 consecutive victories and back to back premierships under old Jack. He was there in '66 when we didnt win a game. Still cheering. Still Proud. Still Hopeful. The stories he had of that era are a lesson in life.

He was there cursing with the rest of the world, as politics robbed Horrie of a Kangaroo Jersey.

He was there when his boy needed him. He was there when his mates needed him.

He's needed now. One of the last of a brilliant breed of men. When you lose old heads like Ozzie - you cant help to thank God you had the chance to experience him. You cant help to feel sorry for the young blokes that didnt have the experience. And have been robbed of somehing they could do with but will never get.

Ozzie. Where ever you are - I know youlll be wearing that old '75 with the faded Rooster standing on the ball with "Easts to Win' scribed into it. I know you'll be holding a New or Draught, and I know youd be screaming at Rabbits Warren and spitting at Piggins.

A class act. On and off the field.

Remember Oz. Easts to Win. Always.

Last edited:

Dave Q

Coach
I posted this in the old official ozzie thread.

I think he would enjoy the irony of his greatest foes and oft critics wearing his badge.

It would be great if the ozzie fans at Souths LU outnumbered those on Roosters LU.

That would be bittersweet for him, but we all know, his on-line life was a bit like that anyway.... so its a fair reflection.

He was one of the first guys I met on LU.

We argued heaps. Horrendus abusive posts, personal and ugly. Warzone material.

Then one day I was reading some of his stuff and I started to think a bit more about the guy behind the posts. I worked out that I kinda liked him in a begrudging kind of way.

Then I published those thoughts.

I think he was a bit surprised (aghast!!).. anyway, then we started to get on a bit better. Not really close or anything but maybe mutually interested in the topic, we started to have proper conversations. A bit like a couple after relationship counselling. Cold but genuinely cordial. It was constructive and our on-line future friendship looked quite bright. As we came from other clubs, that would always be a problem, but there was some underlying understanding and even similarities.

He had a sharp mind thats for sure. If he passed away when we think he did, he was cogent and adroit until the end.

He could be ugly blunt but also quite surreptitious and covert.

His love for the roosters was inspiring to all of die-hards of other clubs. He led the way in the loyalty department.

The tribute should contain a few of our own fave ozzie quotes etc.

You know he thought highly of us, you can see that when he shared his last few days. To share those deeply personal things. Made me feel close to him even if I was probably well down on his list of mates and/or acquaintances.

I was somewhere there though, stumbling around in the back of the room when he was at the centre of the circle with everyone listening..... I suppose thats all that matters.

He also knew a lot about rugby league, a lot more than most of his LU peers and therefore, a lot more than me.

In our thoughts Ozzie.

I never met Ozzie.

But I would have liked to have.

Im prepared to tell the friends and acquaintances of ozzie, that I speak from the heart on this one.

Last edited:

Ozzy

First Grade
Ok, i thought wee should have an official thread for our tribute's to Ozzie as he was one of the most genuine and knowledgable people on LU. in this thread we will post our most memorable quotes of Ozzie etc.

This will also be the thread where we organise our Ozzie tribute Week/Month, we have decided it to be the week/month following Australia Day becasue that seems most fitting.

Henriete is doing all of the mod stuff neccesary and i will put this thread in my sig to raise awarness and i will see if i can get Timmah or Pumba to make an Ozzie tribute banner or have the "Roosters 2008" one modified slightly so as to be more of a tribute or something.

if anyone has more ideas then feel free to throw them in, LETS MAKE THIS HUGE!

Also, would like your opinion of a few of the little things.:

Should we use his "roosters 08" banner, perhaps a slightly modified version of that banner, or a newly made tribute banner. as the banner in our signature during Ozzie week/month

How long after Australia day should the tributes last, eg. Ozzie Week, Ozzie Month, 14days etc.

cheers, Monk.
Hi Monk,

I have always looked forward to reading Ozzie's posts when I had a break at work. I can't log in at work due to some sort of software problem. I will miss reading them. I think the tribute should last at least a month. I think that there should be a special banner for him.

Sugar

Bench
An Ozzie rant from the archives

ok the insults have started you petrol sniffing, dole bludging, mindless piece of crap - why not think of more original lines.I don't need to because every one things your club is the pits

If I wanted to ring you I would - but I would ring St Vincent Depauls where you have your bed.

Rorters are going down - how many loses in a row now moron?

Now something about player pinching - and how many did you sign from other clubs this year - heaps - in fact it's a miracle you didn't attck the 69 teams that are now Roosters Juniors..Crocodiles the second biggest club in the SSJ are you going to claim them now?
The man loved those damn Chooks.

Hen when Ozzie day fires up i will add a sticky thread in the Souths forum it was his favourite forum to lurk in
I will lurk - because I ENJOY READING WHAT is written by Dave - he as far as I am concerned he is welcome in our forum - oh I didn't say I care about your forum I said I couldn't care a rats. Sugar is also welcome in our forum as well - remember I am still being polite to you - you should try to be polite as well

Dave Q

Coach
An Ozzie rant from the archives

The man loved those damn Chooks.

Hen when Ozzie day fires up i will add a sticky thread in the Souths forum it was his favourite forum to lurk in

lol classics.

Hed cut loose on some of our own on Souths LU, and a few of us would studiously turn the other cheek and let him run riot. You would even feel a bit guilty!

That just wouldnt happen these days.

Yeah he was a character...

henrieté

Juniors
lol, ahhh, he was a funny bugger, and he never actually meant to be.

That would be awesome, thanks Sugar.