What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aaron Woods

simmo1

First Grade
Not sure where our tries are coming from next year. Our last 2 games have seen 5 tries - 2 from lucky bounces, a Joel freaking Edwards barge over, a hail mary bomb and a beautiful passage of play by the two blokes who are leaving haha.

We've signed a 5/8 who has 1 try assist all year, and plays for the only team with worse attack than ours.

Tiger05

First Grade
We need better halves. I don't think Reynolds or Brooks are the right players to improve that area. I'm just hoping that the team performs more consistently next year. I can't see our halves turning into great players.

Tiger05

First Grade
I reckon that is the standard Woods performance. If he gets good offloads away he is great. If not he is ordinary.

I thought he had a good game. The point though is that his good game isn't really that good.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Not sure where our tries are coming from next year. Our last 2 games have seen 5 tries - 2 from lucky bounces, a Joel freaking Edwards barge over, a hail mary bomb and a beautiful passage of play by the two blokes who are leaving haha.

We've signed a 5/8 who has 1 try assist all year, and plays for the only team with worse attack than ours.
These are telling stats.We are losing the only gun member of our spine.Does Cleary have a backup plan if LoLo doesn't cut it @ 1 ! Does Cleary have the intestinal fortitude to drop Brooke's to state cup when he continues with the pathetic execution of kicks & passes as well as continuing to b a huge liability in the defensive line !!

We certainly could've done with Connor Watson's signing.He was signed sealed & delivered until the Knights trumped our offer by 400k at the eleventh hour.

Cleary has one heck of a task to try get this team competitive in '18 with the inadequate spine & a moronic outside back like Nofa who gifts the opposition 1-2 tries per game !!

Clifferd

Coach
Wasn't a huge fan of Grant before but if he continues to play like that I want him coming off the bench next year

Clifferd

Coach

Off the WTF forum but I thought it was well put so I'll copy & paste it here

Our team is a massive upgrade in attack next year.
1. Packer and Matulino bend the line and play the ball quick. Our field position will also improve.
2. Liddle is the key his growth will be a major factor.
3. Reynolds will be a big upgrade at 6 from Tui or Moses.
4. Milne& Suli provide 2 powerful edge runners for Brooks
5. McQueen is a solid edge runner we don't have.
6. Tui is a wildcard at fullback big downgrade from Teddy
7. Fonua gives us another powerful runner and finisher Big upgrade from Kev.
8. Brooks has a full offseason under Cleary

We need to improve the team so the reliance on Brooks/ Reynolds/Tui is not as great. If we can jag Boyle, Vete, Rona we will be a real finals threat.

BuffaloRules

Coach
There are doubts over McQueen with his latest injury... think he is past his best in any event..

I'm also having second thoughts over the Reynolds signing...

Tiger Ted

Bench

1. Packer and Matulino bend the line and play the ball quick. Our field position will also improve.

We need to improve the team so the reliance on Brooks/ Reynolds/Tui is not as great. If we can jag Boyle, Vete, Rona we will be a real finals threat.
Huge doubts about points 2 3 5 & especially 8 !

Regardless of how good the rest of the team may perform the fact is we have an ordinary spine bereft of a quality play maker & any X factor !!

BuffaloRules

Coach
Its hard to imagine that Liddle is going to step up too much come 2018... Still might develop into something good but not by next year...

Fonua might be an upgrade from Kev but that's not saying much.. not sure that Fonua ia an automatic selection in the Top 17...

I like Milne though...

Tiger05

First Grade

Some good points here.

I wonder if Liddle will come on as much as you think he will. I think he is better than McIlwrick now and I think McIlwrick is pretty decent. I'm just not sure that Liddle will come on a lot. I hope he does.
I wonder what Reynolds will really be like. I wish we'd gone for Maloney instead but time will tell.
I have no idea how our edge second rowers will go but we have more players that can play there next season.

Your point in relation to needing to improve the team so as not to rely on those three players is spot on. I want to see us develop a tough team with some speed and skill that threatens from all over the park. That way we won't need our spine to come up with magic plays to win games. I don't think we will have a spine that can do that.

Gee our attack is ordinary,it's a myth that the WT are still considered a good attacking team,every set is littered with one out plays with little support that only built to a dud kick on the last,for once I would just like to see a backline play where the ball runners actually run onto the ball with purpose.

I jumped on here today thinking that I'd maybe read something about Woods and his Canterbury contract.

Sunday paper piece had him as saying (not quoted) if IC had gotten to the club earlier he may have stayed. Now with the rumors doing the rounds re Hasler getting the flick, I wonder if there is an 'out' for Woods (and Foran).

Thoughts, would we want him?

Tiger05

First Grade
Woods isn't worth the money that he is getting paid now and he is probably getting a pay rise. It's an easy decision to let him go.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I jumped on here today thinking that I'd maybe read something about Woods and his Canterbury contract.

Sunday paper piece had him as saying (not quoted) if IC had gotten to the club earlier he may have stayed. Now with the rumors doing the rounds re Hasler getting the flick, I wonder if there is an 'out' for Woods (and Foran).

No thanks, he made his bed. Now lay in it bitch

Vozzy

Juniors
You just need to have a team that gels together don't need a thousand stars. Cronulla were in the same posistion 3 years ago came last only won 5 games they made top 4 and the grand final in the 2 following years with basically the same team bar the likes of Ben Barba. They still had the likes of Gallen, Graham, Lewis when they came last. Guys like Townsend had been rejects at other clubs but he has learnt to do a job. This is what we need of Brooks just do a job doesn't need to overplay his had. Give your big outside backs early ball the likes of Fonua, Milne, Suli, Noufaluma on paper are no better the Letelli, feki, Capewell. They have a game plan that suits them.

I believe Cleary is doing a good job but just needs 1st graders to follow his plan we are attacking the ruck now last 2 weeks and have improved our attack it's not predictable as much. Next year with better players and an off season we will improve may not make top 4 but could push for the 8.

Parra have won 6 from last 8 games and we got within 1 point with a team full of reserve graders.

Tiger05

First Grade
Vozzy - I agree with what you are stating. We can compete with other teams. It's a matter of gelling and playing consistent footy.

Last week Tui, MCK, Woods & Naiqama all lost the ball at a critical time. If we minimise those errors and some players come up with a big run or pass or kick at the right time the game could have been won.

magpie_man

Juniors

A prop-forward rotation of Packer-Matulino-Woods-Twal is hard to argue with.