What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aaron Woods

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Woods is a throwback to days when RL props were little different to Rugby props- ie overweight, slow, and just there to "prop" (as the name implies) up a scrum. We've seen the modern prototype of a prop in Napa, Klemmer and Campbell- Gillard- tall, rangy, quick and dynamic in attack and defence. By those standards, Arthur Beetson may have struggled to get a prop jersey but we all know that he was a freak. Woods is not in the same postcode as Beetson.

Seriously.
3 months into a 4 year multi million dollar deal and if the reports are true he could be running out for the Sharks as soon as next week.

What the hell is going on at rugby league HQ.
Now while Hasler, Castle and the Bulldogs board must take most of the blame for this farce, what the hell was the rugby league hierarchy thinking when they registered all these contracts, they must have seen the numbers and known they didn’t add up?

Who, if anybody, is running this game we all love?

Crush

Coach
Seriously.
3 months into a 4 year multi million dollar deal and if the reports are true he could be running out for the Sharks as soon as next week.

Now while Hasler, Castle and the Bulldogs board must take most of the blame for this farce, what the hell was the rugby league hierarchy thinking when they registered all these contracts, they must have seen the numbers and known they didn’t add up?

BGB don't wanna blow my own horn but I broke this story at 625pm last Wednesday....

BGB don't wanna blow my own horn but I broke this story at 625pm last Wednesday....

Dosnt negate my point.
If the league bosses OKed all these deals, which have left the Bulldogs in a shambles, who the hell is monitoring the salary cap.
I thought it was the leagues job to register contracts that are salary cap compliant, they seemed to have missed this massive hole in the Dogs plan.
It makes you wonder what else they miss?

Gareth67

First Grade
Seriously.

Very good question , the answer I believe is that there could had been an individual in the hierarchy whom had a ' interest ' in the well being of the Bulldogs . You would only need to look back a few years earlier to see the circumstances involving Hasler being ' lured ' ( for use of a better word ) from Manly to Canterbury .

Last edited:
Tod Greenberg was CEO at the doggies. Did he turn a blind eye as far as Woods contract was concerned.

Not just Woods, look at Tolman, 1.5 mill over three years, 200 grand first year, 500 second year and 800 grand this year, and he’s not alone at the Dogs on that sort of deal, the Morris brothers are in similar deals.
Who at the NRL oked these contracts knowing full well in the last years, if the Dogs honoured all these contracts, they would well and truely be above the cap?

This is NRL sanctioned shenanigans..........yes that’s right, I called SHENANIGANS.

Saintsified

Bench
I’m not a Dragons fan & I’m not even sure why/how I’m reading this thread but after what I saw on Saturday night, if you could offload Graham (retirement?) & pick up Woods at the end of the season, that substantially improves your side. It’s the flavour of the week to shit on the bloke but Woods still has a hell of a lot to offer & is still relatively young for a prop.
Nah we want men in our front row, that merkins butter.

Como Connection

First Grade
Not just Woods, look at Tolman, 1.5 mill over three years, 200 grand first year, 500 second year and 800 grand this year, and he’s not alone at the Dogs on that sort of deal, the Morris brothers are in similar deals.
Who at the NRL oked these contracts knowing full well in the last years, if the Dogs honoured all these contracts, they would well and truely be above the cap?

This is NRL sanctioned shenanigans..........yes that’s right, I called SHENANIGANS.
"SHENANIGANS" l love that word but never knew how to spell it.
CC

giboz71

First Grade
Seriously.

Surely it’s not up to the NRL to manage a team’s cap? As long as they are cap compliant each year, then that’s where their jurisdiction ends.

My understanding is the reason why the Dogs are in this mess is:

- they incorrectly predicted the cap would be around $10m
- they have backended a number of contracts
- some contracts have risen notionally in line with the salary cap (this is no longer allowed)
- they have massively overpaid guys like Woods and Foran

From my perspective, this is all on the Dogs. The salary cap is a science which good teams master, and other teams like the Dogs balls up.

Surely it’s not up to the NRL to manage a team’s cap? As long as they are cap compliant each year, then that’s where their jurisdiction ends.

- some contracts have risen notionally in line with the salary cap (this is no longer allowed)

From my perspective, this is all on the Dogs. The salary cap is a science which good teams master, and other teams like the Dogs balls up.

But guys like Tolman, Mybe, the Morris’s, Graham all ended up on back ended deals that paid them 800 grand in this last year.
Now does the NRL only monitor the cap on a yearly basis, so are they not concerned when they register contracts that will clearly put a club over the cap in the coming years.
Is this the flaw that allowed the Dogs to get into this mess?

ouryears

Bench
Matey , if the bloke did get that big arse of his into gear and also played his footy with the right attitude he would prove to be a good buy . However in saying that he must have the right coach , someone who would tell him in no uncertain terms that right now , at least at this point in his career he is merely taking up valuable space and therefore must pick his game up .

There has been many players over the years whom have found themselves in a similar situation as Woods is now , some accept the challenge and fufill their true potential where as others do not and fall by the wayside .

Imo , he still has a lot to offer , but not at the Tigers , there is no point returning home to mummy where the bad people will stop calling you names . The player needs to ' man - up ' , accept the fact that he has been lazy and prove to himself at least that he is made of the right stuff . A place such as Newcastle would not only give him a new start , but I believe a new lease on life .
But he just might be obsessively lazy mate. Looking at him over several years, I do not think he can be helped.

Desire lies within.

He has none.

Coaches are better off spending their time on mentoring and coaching their players who care, and young guns who have a desire and passion.....not a lazy ass

ouryears

Bench
But guys like Tolman, Mybe, the Morris’s, Graham all ended up on back ended deals that paid them 800 grand in this last year.
Now does the NRL only monitor the cap on a yearly basis, so are they not concerned when they register contracts that will clearly put a club over the cap in the coming years.
Is this the flaw that allowed the Dogs to get into this mess?
The NRL can't add up 10 and 10.
They are damn hopeless BGB, they are REACTIVE, never Proactive.

Look at Storm, Eels and Grubs with their rorting over the years.

Never caught them till too late.

The NRL decide what's important, it's an ever moving goal post.

I reckon many are on the take.

ouryears

Bench

To a degree mate, but if I get 6 contracts on my desk showing 6 players will earn $1milliin each in 2019, for a total of $6 million for just 6 players......I would be calling in the CEO of that club and an independent accountant for a hard nosed meeting.

It's not hard, it just doesn't matter to them.

They choose what's important.

It's a rort.