What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'About' Six Million Dollars Profit!!!!!

deluded pom?

Coach
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...arlc-chairman-john-grant-20171216-h05wg7.html

Island time
Tonga star Jason Taumalolo met with NRL boss Todd Greenberg and ARLC chairman John Grant to discuss opportunities for the nation to capitalise on its World Cup heroics. In a clear sign he intends to stick with Tonga after defecting from New Zealand, Taumalolo sought assurances the fourth-ranked nation would get chances to participate in quality Test football next year and beyond.

Tonga coach Kristian Woolf also attended, with the quartet aligned on the need to ensure the international game is well promoted.

The World Cup is expected to make a profit of of about $6 million.

This obviously means less than six million dollars yet weren't we promised twelve million? Once Nigel has been paid there won't be much left to fund any initiatives the RLIF have for the next four years. Disgraceful. I doubt anyone will make up the shortfall either.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
I wonder what the consequences would be for a Rugby WC or FIFA WC host failing to meet the promised outcomes by such a large margin.

Undoubtedly World Rugby or FIFA would come down hard on the host federation.

What we're likely to see in Rugby League is "oh well...that's a pity". $6 mil is a drop in the ocean for the ARLC, half of the funding of one NRL club, but a massive amount for international Rugby League. I can guarantee the they won't cover the difference.

Pommy

Coach
I wonder what the consequences would be for a Rugby WC or FIFA WC host failing to meet the promised outcomes by such a large margin.

What we're likely to see in Rugby League is "oh well...that's a pity". $6 mil is a drop in the ocean for the ARLC, half of the funding of one NRL club, but a massive amount for international Rugby League. I can guarantee the they won't cover the difference.

Well unless there’s a contractual obligation to do so why would they?

Evil Homer

Staff member

I believe the IRB make hosting nations pay a bond upfront and then reimburse them depending on the profits. IIRC the unsuccessful South Africa RLWC bid followed this model and offered 10 million upfront, I think that's the case for the 2025 USA bid too. So we probably lost out on money from taking it to South Africa, which is crazy for a comp staged in supposed RL heartlands. This was just a shitty comp from an organizational POV and it should be a long time before the Aussies get another chance.

adamkungl

Immortal
Well unless there’s a contractual obligation to do so why would they?

That's my point basically. Any professionally run sport would have a competitive bid process backed by tight contractual obligations.
I strongly suspect this wasn't the case, that the ARLC can wipe their hands of it and shrug.

What's to stop future bids from promising big dollars and then when the dust settles saying "nah we don't have it"?

Pommy

Coach
That's my point basically. Any professionally run sport would have a competitive bid process backed by tight contractual obligations.
I strongly suspect this wasn't the case, that the ARLC can wipe their hands of it and shrug.

What's to stop future bids from promising big dollars and then when the dust settles saying "nah we don't have it"?

I don’t think we’re in a position to be very picky at the moment hopefully that will change one day.
I know NA is coming up but it’s purely been a case of alternating between England and oz up until now. It’s hard to make demands when the bidders know there’s no other alternative.

adamkungl

Immortal
I don’t think we’re in a position to be very picky at the moment hopefully that will change one day.
I know NA is coming up but it’s purely been a case of alternating between England and oz up until now. It’s hard to make demands when the bidders know there’s no other alternative.

South Africa, despite obvious problems we would probably all have with them hosting, were offering a $10 mil guarantee. Australia claimed they would deliver $12mil.

LineBall

Juniors
South Africa, despite obvious problems we would probably all have with them hosting, were offering a $10 mil guarantee. Australia claimed they would deliver $12mil.

If that's the case, then questions should be asked. They were happy to play games in Cairns and Darwin b/c of guaranteed income, yet they seem to have no obligation to the RLIF to guarantee anything.

roughyedspud

Coach
The NZRL need to host on their own in 2029...or if Australia host again they really need to condense the venues,say 4 cities,each city hosts a group,to cutdown on the travel costs..

Reactions: siv

Stallion

First Grade

Pray tell? What are the obvious problems!? Please inform. Not sure what you mean about "obvious problems " in South Africa? And if so wonder why these problems exist! ?

adamkungl

Immortal
Pray tell? What are the obvious problems!? Please inform. Not sure what you mean about "obvious problems " in South Africa? And if so wonder why these problems exist! ?

Obvious problem 1 is the government doesn't recognise RL as a sport... right up your alley.
2, as a result of #1, the sport has barely any playing and likely even less following in the country.
3, South Africa are well below qualifying quality and would be given an automatic entry as hosts at the cost of someone better.

Stallion

First Grade
Obvious problem 1 is the government doesn't recognise RL as a sport... right up your alley.
2, as a result of #1, the sport has barely any playing and likely even less following in the country.
3, South Africa are well below qualifying quality and would be given an automatic entry as hosts at the cost of someone better.

Thanks. Glad you acknowledge that fundamental issue of recognition. It's massive yet we seem to dismiss it as a normal treatment of a sport?! Pretty sure neutral sports fans or decent minded people would be disgusted at this non recognition of a sport such as rugby league. A massive issue for the code!

adamkungl

Immortal
Thanks. Glad you acknowledge that fundamental issue of recognition. It's massive yet we seem to dismiss it as a normal treatment of a sport?! Pretty sure neutral sports fans or decent minded people would be disgusted at this non recognition of a sport such as rugby league. A massive issue for the code!

Everyone acknowledges it.
We just don't feel the need to make every single post about it. Mainly because Rugby League has more than enough self inflicted wounds to occupy it week to week.
Neutral sports fans don't care. The media doesn't care. Rugby League isn't a human right.

Stallion

First Grade
Everyone acknowledges it.
We just don't feel the need to make every single post about it. Mainly because Rugby League has more than enough self inflicted wounds to occupy it week to week.
Neutral sports fans don't care. The media doesn't care. Rugby League isn't a human right.

Given that it (non recognition of RL) was your number 1 reason for rugby league not gaining a presence in South Africa I dont think your thinking is proactive for the code at large? This non recognition agenda you seem to accuse me of is vitally important and significant to address rugby league's issues.

Perth Red

Post Whore
One f the spin offs of Sth Africa gett8ng thenrlwc would be government recognition. When they put their bid in they had already started getting the wheels of govt in motion to support it, including oficcially recognising it. I can see why the rlif went with Dave smith’s bid and his claim to make it the best ever with $12mill profit, lol, but would have been inter3sting to see what would have come out of a Sth Africa event,