What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

about the 4th QLD team

dimitri

First Grade
Le KooK said:
I can't quite understand the logic of partitioning the potential fanbase of a new South East QLD club by applying a finite geographic label to the club's name. The 'South East Queensland' Crushers was a great name for a club, because it encompassed a wider geographical area than the Broncos without losing the ability to draw Brisbane RL fans.

Now I doubt whether the 'South East Queensland' term can be brought back, due to the creation of the Gold Coast Titans - but I would strongly suggest that any new club be named with a view to generating a collective fanbase in the Sth East QLD region, as opposed to satisfying the needs of a niche market, of which it's support for a new Rugby League team would be unknown. In my opinion this last point is very important, because nobody truly knows the extent of support that exists for a new club in differing locations in the wider Brisbane area. Maybe in Ipswich and West Brisbane they all support the Broncos? Maybe in the north of Brisbane there is a large deal of support for other teams, and possibly other codes? It's a huge risk to bet the future of a new club on such a limited geographical area - cast the net wider, and you will see much better results.

Where to play? To my mind, Lang Park. It's a complete no-brainer. It's a first-class facility that the punters love, and it goes unused every second week. Talk of building new 'boutique' stadiums seems crazy to me, we have the best Rugby League stadium in the world at our disposal - time to make better use of it.

People have spoken of 'avoiding' direct competition with the Broncos fanbase, and to this I can only disagree in the strongest possible terms. There are more than enough 'Bronco-haters' and other assorted Rugby League fans in the wider Brisbane area to make a new 'Brisbane-based' club a raging success - and without damaging the ability of the Broncos to maintain their fanbase.

How to market the new club? Simple. Be the exact opposite of the Broncos. Use the perceived weaknesses of the Broncos to the new club's advantage. The success of the new club in generating a vibrant and consistent fanbase will (IMO) be demonstrated by it's ability to publicly differentiate itself from the Broncos. How do they do this? Here's two ideas off the top of my head:

1. Club ownership/Funding - Align the club with the QRL. Make the club obligated to contribute it's profits to the QRL, through which the game of Rugby League in Sth East QLD will greatly benefit. Make this fact known to the public from the outset.

2. Club history/'Franchise' element - I would suggest the comparative lack of history of the Broncos may mean that a 'new' club with links to Brisbane's Rugby League past would be a very attractive issue on which to distinguish between the two clubs. In my opinion the 'new' club will have to be an 'old' club, either promoted (from the existing QRL competition), or reborn (reviving a now dormant club). The ability of an existing QRL club to shed their geographic label may be too hard - so I would suggest returning a deceased club to it's former glory.

Maybe it's too controversial, offensive to former fans of the BRL/QRL, or simply cringe worthy - but I would love to see a club named 'Brothers' or 'Diehards' plying their trade in the NRL. Especially 'Brothers', I think that's a fantastic club name that doesn't need to devise artificial mascots or monikers. It also doesn't require a specific location in the club name, so perhaps the club could read simply as 'Past Brothers Rugby League Football Club'. It would be a catchy name, plenty of club history, and the club would act as the 'good guys' against the perceived 'evil' arrogance of the Broncos. The clubs would be ideologically opposed to each other on many issues, creating a great rivalry that no other code could compete with.

I agree about using a past name/club

And also about aliging with QRL and profits to go to QRL/Jnr League etc (Isn't that what the SQ Cruashers tried to do with the Crushers Leagues club etc???)

In fact the Crushers Leagues club still exists to promote QRL - www.crushers.com.au

I also agree with using Lang Park every week!!!! - The same way the AFL uses MCG, AAMI Stadium and Subiaco every WEEK!!!

Perhaps once again the club could be aligned to the Crushers Leagues Club - whilst also having other links to Brothers, diehards etc etc etc

Just throwing an idea out there would a team be well supported if it was called something like:

BRISBANE UNITED?

The emblem could be similar to the GB&I emblem in that it is cut into 4 and in each portion you have a different logo ie Brothers, Valleys/Diehards / Crushers???????

And I am sure you could come up with a great design of a jersey using the colours Yellow, Maroon/Red and Blue

with something like Brisbane Unitied RL since 1908 somewhere on there !!!!!!!!!!!

realredhillboy

Juniors
Le KooK said:
I can't quite understand the logic of partitioning the potential fanbase of a new South East QLD club by applying a finite geographic label to the club's name. The 'South East Queensland' Crushers was a great name for a club, because it encompassed a wider geographical area than the Broncos without losing the ability to draw Brisbane RL fans.

Now I doubt whether the 'South East Queensland' term can be brought back, due to the creation of the Gold Coast Titans - but I would strongly suggest that any new club be named with a view to generating a collective fanbase in the Sth East QLD region, as opposed to satisfying the needs of a niche market, of which it's support for a new Rugby League team would be unknown. In my opinion this last point is very important, because nobody truly knows the extent of support that exists for a new club in differing locations in the wider Brisbane area. Maybe in Ipswich and West Brisbane they all support the Broncos? Maybe in the north of Brisbane there is a large deal of support for other teams, and possibly other codes? It's a huge risk to bet the future of a new club on such a limited geographical area - cast the net wider, and you will see much better results.

Where to play? To my mind, Lang Park. It's a complete no-brainer. It's a first-class facility that the punters love, and it goes unused every second week. Talk of building new 'boutique' stadiums seems crazy to me, we have the best Rugby League stadium in the world at our disposal - time to make better use of it.

People have spoken of 'avoiding' direct competition with the Broncos fanbase, and to this I can only disagree in the strongest possible terms. There are more than enough 'Bronco-haters' and other assorted Rugby League fans in the wider Brisbane area to make a new 'Brisbane-based' club a raging success - and without damaging the ability of the Broncos to maintain their fanbase.

How to market the new club? Simple. Be the exact opposite of the Broncos. Use the perceived weaknesses of the Broncos to the new club's advantage. The success of the new club in generating a vibrant and consistent fanbase will (IMO) be demonstrated by it's ability to publicly differentiate itself from the Broncos. How do they do this? Here's two ideas off the top of my head:

1. Club ownership/Funding - Align the club with the QRL. Make the club obligated to contribute it's profits to the QRL, through which the game of Rugby League in Sth East QLD will greatly benefit. Make this fact known to the public from the outset.

2. Club history/'Franchise' element - I would suggest the comparative lack of history of the Broncos may mean that a 'new' club with links to Brisbane's Rugby League past would be a very attractive issue on which to distinguish between the two clubs. In my opinion the 'new' club will have to be an 'old' club, either promoted (from the existing QRL competition), or reborn (reviving a now dormant club). The ability of an existing QRL club to shed their geographic label may be too hard - so I would suggest returning a deceased club to it's former glory.

Maybe it's too controversial, offensive to former fans of the BRL/QRL, or simply cringe worthy - but I would love to see a club named 'Brothers' or 'Diehards' plying their trade in the NRL. Especially 'Brothers', I think that's a fantastic club name that doesn't need to devise artificial mascots or monikers. It also doesn't require a specific location in the club name, so perhaps the club could read simply as 'Past Brothers Rugby League Football Club'. It would be a catchy name, plenty of club history, and the club would act as the 'good guys' against the perceived 'evil' arrogance of the Broncos. The clubs would be ideologically opposed to each other on many issues, creating a great rivalry that no other code could compete with.[/quote
excellent idea thats the way i would go

greenhat

Juniors
If the new team did have a titans style boutique stadium they would almost certainly take their big rivalry games to suncorp the same way the titans do.

That would mean suncorp would have the broncos 12 games plus probably 3 games each from the titans and the new team. If scheduled well that'd mean lang park was being used for 3 out of every 4 weekends.

I think thats plenty enough use of suncorp, without having to cheapen the competition with AFL style brand name teams that have no meaningful geographical identity and share their 'home ground'.

Timbo

Staff member
greenhat said:
If the new team did have a titans style boutique stadium they would almost certainly take their big rivalry games to suncorp the same way the titans do.

That would mean suncorp would have the broncos 12 games plus probably 3 games each from the titans and the new team. If scheduled well that'd mean lang park was being used for 3 out of every 4 weekends.

I think thats plenty enough use of suncorp, without having to cheapen the competition with AFL style brand name teams that have no meaningful geographical identity and share their 'home ground'.

Bingo. I hate the AFL style system where everyone plays out of the same stadium. Of the 16 AFL clubs, only three (Sydney, Brisbane and Geelong) have a unique stadium of their own. Do we really want that in the NRL?

If they had a 25,000 seat stadium in the West of Brisbane, they could play 9 games a season there, and play the matches vs. Brisbane, the Gold Coast and North Queensland at Suncorp as they'd attract the bigger crowds.

Tribalism still exists in this sport in a way that has vanished from the AFL, lets do out best to keep it that way.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Tribalism doesn't exist anymore in Rugby League in Brisbane.

The majority of League followers support one team. Even amongst those who c ontinue to support Queensland Cup clubs, it's more "we're all in this together" attitude to rival supporters rather than the fierce rivalry that existed 20+ years ago.

dimitri

First Grade
XXXX Cap said:
Tribalism doesn't exist anymore in Rugby League in Brisbane.

The majority of League followers support one team. Even amongst those who c ontinue to support Queensland Cup clubs, it's more "we're all in this together" attitude to rival supporters rather than the fierce rivalry that existed 20+ years ago.

So you agree that my previous idea of a 'Brisbane United' type side would be the best way to go?

XXXX Cap

Juniors
No, why would I ?

I've followed Wynnum-Manly passionately since 1965 and have been to the majority of their games since then.

Why would I want to follow another club ?

dimitri

First Grade
XXXX Cap said:
No, why would I ?

I've followed Wynnum-Manly passionately since 1965 and have been to the majority of their games since then.

Why would I want to follow another club ?

Because you would not be following a side which is competition to the one you already follow

the same way people follow a team in the nrl and a team in the english super league

it also means you can have a team to follow in the premier rl competition in the country

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I don't believe in following teams other than that in the area you live - I'm the last bastion of tribalism.

dimitri

First Grade
XXXX Cap said:
I don't believe in following teams other than that in the area you live - I'm the last bastion of tribalism.

So you don't live in Brisabne?

..and if you moved you would change teams???

That's not really tribalism

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I do live in Brisbane. Wynnum-Manly is my local team and always has been.

From the time they started, the Brisbane Broncos have not been a representative team for Brisbane. They are a corporate organization based at Red Hill and whose objectives are corporate - they have never acted in any way towards the existing clubs and competitions other than to make use of them for the Bronocs' benefit, not to assist Rugby League at any other level than their own.

Maybe its my age, but I don't feel any necessity to support a team in the NRL or English Super League. I'm happy to watch plenty of games and enjoy the football.

dimitri

First Grade
XXXX Cap said:

From the time they started, the Brisbane Broncos have not been a representative team for Brisbane. They are a corporate organization based at Red Hill and whose objectives are corporate - they have never acted in any way towards the existing clubs and competitions other than to make use of them for the Bronocs' benefit, not to assist Rugby League at any other level than their own.

Maybe its my age, but I don't feel any necessity to support a team in the NRL or English Super League. I'm happy to watch plenty of games and enjoy the football.

I completely understand what you are saying

But Just like the SQ Crushers tried to!

I think any new 2nd Brisbane side would try anf fulfil the objectives you have stated - re: QLD RL

XXXX Cap

Juniors
There's no real incentive if they are a corporate organization.

Other levels of Rugby League can be viewed as opposition. Why would the Broncos or its part-owner News Limited promote the Queensland Cup when it risks people following that instead of the Broncos ?

realredhillboy

Juniors
XXXX Cap said:

i agree with cap... i couldn't have said it better

Knight87

Juniors
Gruenen said:
Yes I would support another club in Queensland, it would be great for the State, equally I would support expansion in other regions as well.

However, with expansion we need to consider serveral factors in an already congested schedule.

The current NRL format is fine, but if for example the expansion as is being talked about goes beyond including a 4th franchise from Queensland, and say for example the expanded compliment is targetted at 18 or 20 teams, I would suggest a conference type competition similar to the NFL structure in the USA. For example a Eastern Conference NRL and a Western Conference NRL with teams from all regions being allocated accordingly. Hopefully not 18 teams but 20 teams as 18 would create a bye if split evenly. The winner of each conference play in a Super Bowl NRL to determine the overall winner.

Benefits: as I see it outweigh the downside, but the bigger picture would mean a reduced playing season, better preformances for each club playing a reduced season of games particularly for players and for club management as their players recover from injuries. Each team allocated to a conference will continue to wear their uniforms, but the NRL logo would incorporate a insignia identifying which Conference that team plays in.

And, after say two or three years the teams are then re allocated. You would still have your minor premiership winner's for each conference. The NRL will still be the governing body.

The conference doesnt neccessarily have to be named Eastern & Western it could be called something else.

Your thoughts please guys.

Your idea sounds good. Thing is: How would the draw work? How would you tabulate the conferences (ie Northern and Southern)? And how would the whole format work?

Titanic

First Grade
I can understand Cap's position - when I first moved to Brisbane from the Coast I took up the Wests Panthers as my team. They were then living in the shadow of Lang Park and then moved (stupidly) to Purtell Park. Now where are they? From riches to rags. If the Ponies were fairdinkum then they would be representative, at least partially, of the area they have usurped. However, that doesn't mean that the NRL is totally unscrupulous.

On the other side of the coin the Titans seem to have embraced the local culture and the talk of the Coast is now firmly focused on League. I don't think it's because the Broncos is a corporate entity that's the problem - it's more about their way of going about their business. Stupid League, Bennett, Ribot, Porky, sacking Wally and now Petero - all of these issues have alienated a large section of their "given" supporter base.

There are plenty of popular, community-minded corporations in Brisbane but the Ponies and NewsLtd just aren't some of them. In fact if you go to Rockhampton, Isa or Mackay for example you will find that the Broncos are seen as the good guys - but not in their own backyard. Why? Because they rape and pillage young players from those other areas and can get them for a "promise and a song".

t-ba

Post Whore
Maybe it's too controversial, offensive to former fans of the BRL/QRL, or simply cringe worthy - but I would love to see a club named 'Brothers' or 'Diehards' plying their trade in the NRL. Especially 'Brothers', I think that's a fantastic club name that doesn't need to devise artificial mascots or monikers. It also doesn't require a specific location in the club name, so perhaps the club could read simply as 'Past Brothers Rugby League Football Club'. It would be a catchy name, plenty of club history, and the club would act as the 'good guys' against the perceived 'evil' arrogance of the Broncos. The clubs would be ideologically opposed to each other on many issues, creating a great rivalry that no other code could compete with.

Slight Threadomancy. 'Brothers' is a moniker typically heavily associated with Catholicism. Which in itself can raise a number of issues.

Bro Bear

Juniors
I would prefer to see the North Sydney Bears back in the comp at NSO or Gosford. However, this thread is about a possible 4th QLD team. It would be great to see a Brothers team in the NRL. Go the Mighty Fighting Irish.